Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
JustAmos

Derm appointment soon

I am almost 21, and I've had moderate acne for 6 years now. The acne is increasingly painful (red bumps) and common. White heads appear often too. I have blackheads from my nose and large pores under my eyes. Red marks are left after acne appears. These usually fade, but it is a constant cycle. The combination of blackheads, red marks, and new acne does not make for a great skin condition.

I have an appointment to see a dermatologist. Are there any tips on how I can get Accutane on my first visit?

It may be tough to get it the first time. I pretty much am in the same situation as you, but I had to wait for about 5 months and four derm visits before I got accutane. They will probably start you off with a topical or two and maybe an anti-biotic at first. After a period of time, if they don't work then you may get Accutane. It also relies heavily on the doctor. Some can be more liberal with the prescription than others.

Thanks for the info. Is it proper to request a certain treatment? I know this guy is supposed to be an "expert" but I really don't want to spend time/money exhausting lesser treatments that may not be as effective.

Thanks for the info. Is it proper to request a certain treatment? I know this guy is supposed to be an "expert" but I really don't want to spend time/money exhausting lesser treatments that may not be as effective.

Hi, I'm your age and my acne sounds similar. I had been on a few different prescription meds before going to the derm and they didn't work. So as soon as the derm took a look at me, he suggested accutane ( I was prepared to give him a speech about how I thought I needed it). So if you have been on other meds, tell him they aren't working and tell him your history with acne (including family history). My derm was concerned that acne had gotten worse as I got older and wanted to put me on Tane to avoid scarring. So if you are 21 and still breaking out bad and your skin scars easily, let him know because that's more reason for him to suggest Accutane.

Good luck!!!

Be sure to list off to the derm EVERYTHING you have tried, and exactly how long you have had acne. Include all over the counter AND prescription treatments as well as how long you used each treatment. That information is valuable to them. If your skin looks better that day than it normally does be sure to tell them so. It is also important to say that you would like to take accutane and that you have done your research on the drug - that you know the risks and side effects associated with accutane but you would still like to give it a go. (Be sure you actually HAVE done the research, though.) The only way you won't get accutane is if you have a really conservative derm or if she feels like you haven't tried enough things. Accutane definitely should be a last-ditch effort. Good luck, hope all goes well!

The key to getting it I think is to try a lot of different dermatologists. I just got mine today and I had to see three of them! I have similiar acne to what you are describing and I didnt want to mess around with anything else I just wanted to get rid of it once and for all so I just made an appointment, went straight in and asked for accutane. I told them that was all I wanted. Some derms have a bias on it and it is hopeless, they just wont give it out. Some are more liberal so just plead your case and be assertive. Let them know how long you have been struggling with acne, tell them everything you have tried and how it has not helped and tell them the effect acne has on your life and if it doesnt work it doesnt work, go to another derm. I went to aad.org and looked up every derm in a 10 mile radius and made appointments with them all, and just started going down the list with who would see me first and the third one did it and i canceled the rest of the appointments.....good luck!

Thanks all for the valuable information. I have a male derm (not sure what that means) and I want to ask it in a way that doesn't sound as if I am overstepping his profession. By the way, do derms usually require records of past treatments/prescriptions?

Thanks all for the valuable information. I have a male derm (not sure what that means) and I want to ask it in a way that doesn't sound as if I am overstepping his profession. By the way, do derms usually require records of past treatments/prescriptions?

I am almost 21, and I've had moderate acne for 6 years now. The acne is increasingly painful (red bumps) and common. White heads appear often too. I have blackheads from my nose and large pores under my eyes. Red marks are left after acne appears. These usually fade, but it is a constant cycle. The combination of blackheads, red marks, and new acne does not make for a great skin condition.

I have an appointment to see a dermatologist. Are there any tips on how I can get Accutane on my first visit?