Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
NdnRomeo

Is Salicylic Acid causing all this excess shedding??

Well this is the situation. I have this cleanser I use called Oil of Olay clarity. It has 2% Salicylic Acid in it.

Besides that, I use nothing that has chemicals in it. I get out of the shower and apply aloe vera gel and a bit of moisturizer right away.

What the problem is, is that after 12 hours passes, my face is oily, AND the sides of my nose and the nose area is peeling! Like you can peel of dead skin from it. It's really gross. I even moisturize properly, so it shouldn't happen. So what I do is exfoliate gently with a baby hair brush to get rid of it. But is it the SA that is causing this excess peeling?

I finally had it, today I had a zit on the side of my nose and it's pissing me off. I felt a whole bunch of dead skin in 12 hours. Every 12 hours.

Is the SA doing that to my skin? If I stopped and simply went with a gentle cleanser and exfoliated gently, it wouldn't happen anymore?

What do you think?

I read that the SA causes excess shedding.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salicylic_acid

"It treats acne by causing skin cells to slough off more readily"

Please I hope you can help me with your knowledge or experience!

I don't feel like shedding so fast is normal =(

i think it is the SA causing that

i tried neutrogena acne wash with SA for a few days and by the end of those few days both areas of my cheeks near my nose and my nose were both peeling severely, and my entire face looked much more red and shiny right out of the shower which doesn't happen when i use something more gentle like spectrogel

now if only i realized as fast that BP is also horrible

i think it is the SA causing that

i tried neutrogena acne wash with SA for a few days and by the end of those few days both areas of my cheeks near my nose and my nose were both peeling severely, and my entire face looked much more red and shiny right out of the shower which doesn't happen when i use something more gentle like spectrogel

now if only i realized as fast that BP is also horrible

Wow it did the same thing for you too! I started getting acne near that area too, really rough areas near my nose which causes clogged pores and also on the sides of my nose.

Which also caused irritation which meant more ugly oil production. So nasty.

BP and SA are so bad. Companies like neutrogena and what not are laughing all the way to the bank :rolleyes: