Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
richn

Body brush, loofa, sponge, etc...whatever

Hi peeplets,

Further to my post here, I've been looking at lots of contradictory advice on using a bodybrush/sponge/round-mesh-ball-thing/loofa/etc/head-of-small-child on your back.

I have quite oily and scarred skin on my back/shoulders. Mild-moderate acne, max 20 zits active on entire back/shoulders at any one time.

Can one of these implements help 'exfoliate' before the application of BP/H&S? What the hell does exfoliating mean/do anyway? Can these things carry and spread bacteria? And does it matter to us if they do?

I'm a bit bewildered by all the advice on various different threads, and would appreciate some opinions from people who've done the BP or H&S regimes on body acne/folliculitis/etc.

Cheers.

I think that is a great question. Exfoliating is basically manually (through rubbing or friction) removing the top layer of skin (not completely, of course). To me it makes sense. I love the feel of a back brush, but I can honestly say that I started using a loofah back brush and my back seemed to get worse. I have heard often and for a long time that washclothes and sponges of any kind do indeed hold on to too much bacteria and it is not good. If we could use a brand new brush every day or have it sterilized somehow maybe it would be different. I guess if I were you I would just try it; it seems like some people do state they get results, but for me, I dont so I just use my hands and lather up and rinse off.

I used to use a back brush everyday, but sometimes it would get good and other times it would get worse, cause i go mad crazy and scrub hard.

Limit yourself to about once or twice a week exfoliating with the brush, little soft circles with Head and shoulders on the bristles, thatll do the trick.

I think it's probably just like anything else relating to the skin, with some people it might work great, other people it may not help at all or make things worse. Just give the scubber a shot, if things go south just try a different method.

I used to use a back brush everyday, but sometimes it would get good and other times it would get worse, cause i go mad crazy and scrub hard.

Limit yourself to about once or twice a week exfoliating with the brush, little soft circles with Head and shoulders on the bristles, thatll do the trick.

Whatever happened to using the Panoxyl bar? Did it not work? Do you have a pic of the back brush?