Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
NdnRomeo

The official, baby brush method thread, for exfoliating

i have bought my baby brush! have used it twice so i will see how it goes!

I really wish I could do this brush exfoliation regularly and not break out from it :cry: . My skin looks and feels really nice after just one round, but usually within the following few days I get these unusual spots... I typically have one or two of them per exfoliation, and they're relatively large bumps that become mildly red. It's so frustrating.

I'll admit that I usually use a toothbrush, but I have had the same problem using the baby brush. In either case, I do wash the brush with hot water and Dan's soap before using it. I see that Romeo uses antibacterial soap, and I wonder if that would make a difference for me. I've also thought about dipping the brush in boiling water to sterilize it.

Does anyone else have this problem? Any advice? I'm going to start experimenting more with this method to hopefully find some modification that works well for me and does not cause break outs.

And Romeo, what is your complete regimen like? I assume you haven't fully outlined it in your sig since you mention using other products in various posts. Just curious :D

I'm still using this method after a few months and I'm still

getting good results. In order to keep the brush bristles

nice and soft, I store mine in a mug of water which I change

daily. I also add a few drops of GSE (grapefruit seed extract)

as that is supposedly a good, natural disinfectant/cleanser. It

seems to work well... but you still have to replace your brush.

I replace mine about once a month.

Has anyone here used an electric toothbrush by chance in replace of a baby brush? :think: That's what this girl uses and she has amazing skin.

I'll defnitely have to try that.

I'm getting good results from this! I just use some asprin in my cleanser.

i've been using the baby brush for probably 2 and a half weeks now and i can say my acne is definitely better, but i dont think im completely maximizing the brush's potential. A few questions for anyone to answer.

1. How long does everyone use it? - i've been told to see what works best but im curious what others do and its effectiveness

2. What kind of motions? - once again, i've been told to experiment, but i would love to hear others users' techniques

thought i'd try again...http://www.acne.org/messageboard/style_emoticons/default/eusa_pray.gif

i've been using the baby brush for probably 2 and a half weeks now and i can say my acne is definitely better, but i dont think im completely maximizing the brush's potential. A few questions for anyone to answer.

1. How long does everyone use it? - i've been told to see what works best but im curious what others do and its effectiveness

2. What kind of motions? - once again, i've been told to experiment, but i would love to hear others users' techniques

thought i'd try again...:)

LONG TERM UPDATE

I’ve been using the baby brush method now since March/April. I’ve loved what its done for my face. Within 2 weeks I noticed that I no longer got pimples in my mustache and chin area. And also my jawline and beard area was significantly reduced in terms of pimple production. The best part was that I no longer got those huge zits between the eyebrow area. I fuckin hate those so much because they were so big and hurt and leaving red marks that last too long. However I still ended up with pimples on my forehead, cheeks and temples.

TEST I PERFORMED TO CHECK VALIDITY OF BABY BRUSH METHOD

So I noticed that I was still getting pimples in certain areas. I thought that maybe the brush was spreading it around or aggravating my skin. So I completely removed the brush method from my routine and noticed within days that my face became extra oily and I got A TON of these flesh covered bumps (microbumps?) on my forehead and where my nose meets my face. No breakouts occurred but my face just felt weird when running my fingers over it during cleansing. I kept without it for 2 weeks and concluded the brush method is a must for exfoliation and I need it. Especially on oily facelike mine. I put it back in my routine and in 2 weeks the micro bumps were gone.

I figure if I brush my teeth for 3 minutes, then brushing my face for 30-45 seconds is not a big deal.

I have now switched cleansers (look for the thread on Ghar Soap) and im clearing up very quickly.

I really wish I could do this brush exfoliation regularly and not break out from it :cry: . My skin looks and feels really nice after just one round, but usually within the following few days I get these unusual spots... I typically have one or two of them per exfoliation, and they're relatively large bumps that become mildly red. It's so frustrating.

I'll admit that I usually use a toothbrush, but I have had the same problem using the baby brush. In either case, I do wash the brush with hot water and Dan's soap before using it. I see that Romeo uses antibacterial soap, and I wonder if that would make a difference for me. I've also thought about dipping the brush in boiling water to sterilize it.

Does anyone else have this problem? Any advice? I'm going to start experimenting more with this method to hopefully find some modification that works well for me and does not cause break outs.

And Romeo, what is your complete regimen like? I assume you haven't fully outlined it in your sig since you mention using other products in various posts. Just curious :D

I hope the best of luck to you too, we definitely need to find a good way to sterilize this and I will find out the best way to do so and share it.

My complete regimen (after getting my allergy test results back) are as follows:

Diet:

No dairy of any sort and no eggs. Of course no processed foods as well. I am putting a hold on any other sensitivities that were shown which include corn and carrots (aw man).

Topically:

Baby brush once a day (twice was starting to irritate me), either use the oil of olay clarity cleanser or the purpose cleanser.

For moisturizing:

Complex 15 (just bought some to try out) with aloe vera gel (infused).

I keep experimenting with supplements and what not so you will see it change from now and then. But right now it's just calcium supplement (since I don't get dairy) and fish oil. I am seeing what effect the multi had so I am keeping it on the side right now (for better or worse).

Hope that helps

thought i'd try again...http://www.acne.org/messageboard/style_emoticons/default/eusa_pray.gif

I use it for about 30 seconds each time, generally sweeping outward on the forehead and cheeks. with the wide side going out. :)

LONG TERM UPDATE

I’ve been using the baby brush method now since March/April. I’ve loved what its done for my face. Within 2 weeks I noticed that I no longer got pimples in my mustache and chin area. And also my jawline and beard area was significantly reduced in terms of pimple production. The best part was that I no longer got those huge zits between the eyebrow area. I fuckin hate those so much because they were so big and hurt and leaving red marks that last too long. However I still ended up with pimples on my forehead, cheeks and temples.

TEST I PERFORMED TO CHECK VALIDITY OF BABY BRUSH METHOD

So I noticed that I was still getting pimples in certain areas. I thought that maybe the brush was spreading it around or aggravating my skin. So I completely removed the brush method from my routine and noticed within days that my face became extra oily and I got A TON of these flesh covered bumps (microbumps?) on my forehead and where my nose meets my face. No breakouts occurred but my face just felt weird when running my fingers over it during cleansing. I kept without it for 2 weeks and concluded the brush method is a must for exfoliation and I need it. Especially on oily facelike mine. I put it back in my routine and in 2 weeks the micro bumps were gone.

I figure if I brush my teeth for 3 minutes, then brushing my face for 30-45 seconds is not a big deal.

I have now switched cleansers (look for the thread on Ghar Soap) and im clearing up very quickly.

That is a very nice long term update, I still want to figure out why some spreading occurs or why we still get bumps in odd areas, I think it may have to do with cleaning or sterilizing the brush which I will look into

I haven't read most of this thread. I'll come back and delete this post, if I find the answer while I'm catching up.

I tried out the baby hair brush method today, and it was quite nice. I'm still waiting to see if my face has a delayed pissed-off reaction, though.

My questions (about sanitization):

1. I have predominately inflammatory acne. They're everywhere and skin peels over them as they heal making them very itchy, so I'd really like/need to go over them with the brush. I'm guessing I should sanitize after every use?

2. What would be the best way to go about sanitizing? Right now, I'm using a 1:3 ratio of white vinegar to water. I wanted to use hydrogen peroxide, but I couldn't find any. I'm googling for info on the correct ratios, but everything so far is very vague. Does anybody know the correct ratios to sanitize personal care items? Very personal care items where blood and pus are probably involved?

3. Say this ends up working well enough for me to use it multiple times per day, do I need to make fresh sanitizing solution after every wash? Or can I use one batch of solution per day?

For a visual on "batch" and such, my brush is currently sitting in a mug partially full of vinegar solution. Do I have to pour out the mug and mix new water and vinegar every time I wash? Or can I keep the same mug of vinegar solution and just put the brush back in it after each use? I'd only dump it out once a day, at night, and redo the solution then. (I ask because I wash 3x a day, so remaking it all the time could get cumbersome.)

All if I can handle this multiple times per day.

Oh, I forgot: 4. How long does the brush need to sit in whatever solution to be sanitized? If I just leave it in all the time, will the brush degrade?

1. Yes, sanitizing after every use is definitely necessary, or else spreading will occur.

2. 3. 4. The sad thing is that I am still not sure about the best way to sanitize so I cannot answer your questions perfectly. The only thing I do is use hand soap and basically wash it for about 30 to 40 seconds and make sure it's foamed up well under extremely hot water. I hope it does work. I like your idea better, but it can get costly I imagine. It seems that most people have success with doing the baby brush only a couple times or every other day so that may be less expensive too. It seems like you do have a better idea than me on how to sanitize as well.

Well, the best info I've got on sanitizing with vinegar, so far, is to use (white) vinegar to water in a 1:10 ratio for, at least, 10 minutes. I got this from my mom, who is probably a moderately accurate information source.

So far I haven't had any problems. My face feels nicer, and topicals sink in a lot better. Instead of a grey-green undertone to my skin, I have a peachy-pink undertone, which is quite nice, too.

My skin is also healing really quickly. The Tazorac has always made it seem like it was healing faster. And I think the exfoliation is letting the Tazorac sink in even deeper and be even more effective.

I just spray a bit of clorox cleanup onto the brush and let it sit until the next usage. Then I rinse it off and use it. Clorox clean up and Clorox bleach are my holy grails of house cleaning. :D

I just spray a bit of clorox cleanup onto the brush and let it sit until the next usage. Then I rinse it off and use it. Clorox clean up and Clorox bleach are my holy grails of house cleaning. :D

thats hardcore

1. Can you be absolutely, absolutely sure you rinse it off? I sceered of melting my face.

2. Does your brush degrade quickly? If not, maybe bases are safer for the particular plastic these brushes are made out of, because mine looks to be in the twilight of its life when I've only been sticking it in around 1:7 solution of vinegar to water for a few days (a week?).

I don't think this is the normal breaking in process, since I bought another one to groom my rat at the same time, and hers looks brand-new. It also hasn't been exposed to any vinegar.

Well, a couple nights ago I read this thread, and decided to go out and try it. Only I couldn't find a baby brush (partially becuase I'm lazy). So I bought a soft toothbrush and I have to say - I think it works virtually the same. I let the bristles get steamed and stream the hot water over it and then do the general brush around my face and it works amazingly. I've never had such soft skin. :) I recommend it

1. Can you be absolutely, absolutely sure you rinse it off? I sceered of melting my face.

2. Does your brush degrade quickly? If not, maybe bases are safer for the particular plastic these brushes are made out of, because mine looks to be in the twilight of its life when I've only been sticking it in around 1:7 solution of vinegar to water for a few days (a week?).

I don't think this is the normal breaking in process, since I bought another one to groom my rat at the same time, and hers looks brand-new. It also hasn't been exposed to any vinegar.

For your sensitive skin, I wouldn't recommend washing the brush with any type of bleach solution. An antibacterial soap should be sufficient, or even dishwashing detergent. I have used the same brush since I bought it in hmm, April? As soon as I put it in the warm water to soften the bristles again, it softens right up. It is very hard when I first pick it up. I do not scrub my skin hard at all; I use it extremely gently! It is wonderful what the bristles do for the skin. :D Hope that helps a bit!

For your sensitive skin, I wouldn't recommend washing the brush with any type of bleach solution. An antibacterial soap should be sufficient, or even dishwashing detergent. I have used the same brush since I bought it in hmm, April? As soon as I put it in the warm water to soften the bristles again, it softens right up. It is very hard when I first pick it up. I do not scrub my skin hard at all; I use it extremely gently! It is wonderful what the bristles do for the skin. :D Hope that helps a bit!

Cool.

Now I just need to hunt down an antibacterial soap . . . you know, after I just bought one and threw away the whole thing, because the fragrance was slightly irritating and quite obnoxious.

Dish washing detergent for washing manually? (Palmolive?) Or for a dishwasher?

I'm going to start using mine a bit less, so it shouldn't break down quite as quickly anymore. And, um, I'm also thinking stealing my rat's and swapping in mine for hers. Of course, disinfecting the hell out of hers (and mine) first.

...Dish washing detergent for washing manually? (Palmolive?) Or for a dishwasher?

I'm going to start using mine a bit less, so it shouldn't break down quite as quickly anymore. And, um, I'm also thinking stealing my rat's and swapping in mine for hers. Of course, disinfecting the hell out of hers (and mine) first.

:D Manual washing I meant. Shampoo should be fine. Just washing it should be fine. Just make sure you're using it VERY gently since your skin seems to be so sensitive. Cutting down on use sounds like a good idea. Even really really hot water poured over it should help clean it up just fine. I just do overkill in cleaning most everything. I think it is because of my job. :D

mmm,im not sure if this may be a good sign! i have used twice and have broken out,little bupms that were are under the ksin are now little whitehaeds! is this meant to happen

I jumped on the wagon :D I bought a cute pink Winne the pooh baby brush for 99cents. The bristles seemed hard :( I was gentle on my face but the brush was stiff. So tonight I am gonna stick it in a basin of hot water 1o min before I jump in the shower. I hope it isn't a " u get what you pay 4" thing. I'll update after shower.

mmm,im not sure if this may be a good sign! i have used twice and have broken out,little bupms that were are under the ksin are now little whitehaeds! is this meant to happen

That's just the normal course the zit was running, most likely nothing to do with the brush :)

its weird that i was clear though, i guess it could of come up as the pores are being cleared?

its weird that i was clear though, i guess it could of come up as the pores are being cleared?

Hm are you cleaning it well? Also, try not exfoliating and see if they go away, that would be a good test

I jumped on the wagon :D I bought a cute pink Winne the pooh baby brush for 99cents. The bristles seemed hard :( I was gentle on my face but the brush was stiff. So tonight I am gonna stick it in a basin of hot water 1o min before I jump in the shower. I hope it isn't a " u get what you pay 4" thing. I'll update after shower.

Edit/update: yeah all it needed was a good soak in hot water. What a difference, it was really soft after that. So yeah I'll be trying this nightly :)

i have cleaned it with the cleanser i use after i wash with it in clean water too.

although its a baby brush it does feel a bit rough? i saw a facial brush from natural bristles in a shop the other day maybe that would be better