Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
orionmantra

How did people naturally took care of their skin in ancient times?

You're not going to find the answer to this question, just pointless speculation and romanticizing. Why does it matter anyway? Focus on the now.

they probably didn't have to because there weren't insane amounts of air pollution and their diet was more natural

In the Elizabethan era (England) they used oat meal wrapped in a cloth. I don't know how effective that would have been, especially because they only bathed about once a week and shared the bath water with the rest of their family. As for 'ancient' times, probably just water..?

i read somewhere the first documented acne treatment was sulfur baths, used by the ancient greeks. i don't know how accurate this is, since i can't remember where i read this.

Guest Mankind

The fact that there diet was made of fresh food and there wasn't really any pollution would probably have meant that they had better skin beacuse all the E-numbers, etc. in our food today wouldn't have vanquished from their bodies through their skin or whatever.

Even if they didn't I doubt they would have worried too much about it. After all, they didn't have the celebrity culture of today so I doubt they would have cared if their skin wasn't as good as the next person's.

Look at Henry VIII for example, he had very bad genital infections and possbily acne but still had 8 wives and there probably wasn't much he could do about it.

Maybe people weren't as superficial 'back in the day'.

I know that cleopatra bathed in milk because of the lactic acid.. There are so more ancient skin care facts that I will try to dig up.

I think its a very interesting question and a valid one because there are many people seeking natural methods of taking care of the skin -- and what is better than using a natural method that has won the approval of people for the last 6 thousand years ago? :)

- Olive oil has been used as a very gentle facial cleanser since they discovered how to make it an oil. Its great if you have allergies to chemicals and sensitive skin. I use it sometimes to be different and I like it.

- Milk baths have been known to soften the skin, although now we know what compound within the milk that aided in beautifying the skin without using 20 gallons of milk in the bathtub, hehe.

- Herb masks are still used today, although I cant think of which ones.

- Clay masks are still used today and are a really great way of pulling out unwanted debree from the skin.

- Very warm salt water can VERY EFFECTIVELY stop an infection from growing in about 20 minutes. Although this treatment has been mostly forgotten because people use prescription creams and oral antibiotics, I think hot salt water might be even better because it doesn't damage your liver like the antibiotics.

The hospital sent my 80 year old grandmother home with a 3 inch deep, 8 inch wide (and the space between the bone and her muscles/skin was 2 inches because the wound wouldnt close)cut on her leg saying they couldnt stop the infection and that they expected her to lose the leg or die within the week. I'd never seen anything so deep in my life (you could see all the bone and muscle). Anyway, my mom immediately started putting hot salt water (mostly salt) into the wound and packed it full of that for 2 days. On the third day, the whole wound was heal shut and all the infection had gone away. I'd never seen anything work so fast in my life.

Shows you that sometimes ancient medicine that has been used for thousands of years because of its effectiveness should be used today and not forgotten :).