Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
GWU girl

My Stop-Picking Log

Picking Addictions  

107 members have voted

1. 1. How many of you would say you are addicted to picking zits?

• Yes, I am secretly addicted to picking zits.
    • I pick acne but am not addicted.
    • No I don't pick acne.
    • Not telling.

I am in college and I have been on Dan Kern's Regimen since May 2005. I admit that I have not achieved clear skin yet :boohoo: . This is due to me constantly picking at my acne :snooty: . I sometimes skip the regimen or use different products :naughty: . Last semester I had to change something about myself for a class. I thought about quitting my obsessive-compulsive picking but decided on another project :rolleyes: . This semester I was again presented with completing a change project and I decided to come to terms with my face and stop picking :dance: .

I've grown accustomed to picking way too much. So I've been trying for the last week to stop too. Good luck!

oh, you guys MUST find a way to stop from picking! It is absolutely crucial to the success of ANY acne treatment program.

Please, don't touch your face at all besides gently washing and applying your acne medications.

My first step for my behavior change plan is to record my picking habits. I did so and then started researching picking zits. I have attatched my paper. It examines the pros and cons of picking, the pros and cons of change, and places to get help and social support. This paper uses outside sources as well as my personal experiences. My next post will have my plan for quitting attached. This includes analyzing my patterns of behavior, my goals and subgoals (with dates for completion attached), rewards for achievments, and my plans for modifying my environment.

Oh, and I had to create a loophole free definition of what picking is. Otherwise I will rationalize it and end up with a picked face. I define picking as anything involving skin, or a skin imperfection, being touched, rubbed, squeezed, scrubbed, scratched, picked at, dug at, peeled (etc.) with fingers, fingernails, tweezers (etc.). If the blemish is clearly a whitehead it can be popped the correct way (refer to You: The Owner’s Manualfor definition and instructions).

HLED_221_Research_Final.doc

HLED_221_Research_Final.doc

I read another post about how do you know when acne has taken over your life. When you don't let anyone touch your face. Not letting anyone or anything touch my face is what helped me stop picking.

To stop picking you have to become equally obsessive about touching your face.

Some techniques I used:

Sit on your hands

Tell people "Don't touch my face" if they try to

Touch your lip instead, fiddle with your shirt, just don't touch the pores on your face.

When you look in the mirror instead of picking you can either smear some cream on, use an ice pack on the pimple, exfoliate your skin, put concealer on or something else to stop you from picking but to still make you feel like you are doing something to get rid of that pimple that won't scar you for life.

You have to remember that physical removal is sometimes the only way to get rid of comedones and pimples. So get yourself a microdermabrasion and don't feel so guilty.

I used the same technique to stop chewing my nails. I got clippers, and nail files and polish and began to work on them. Instead of chewing I now take care of my nails. So instead of squeezing I now take good care of my face.

OMG.....great paper...I am glad you posted it b/c now I know why I must stop picking at my face too....can't wait to read your other paper.

P.S. sometimes when I don't pick I will reward myself with food (I know I know turning to food isn't the answer, but it is better than picking)

I also suffer from uncontrollable picking. i KNOW i shouldnt pick, but I get into a trance and I just cant stp :(!! For me, it triggers when I begin feeling my face and feel bumps or when i look in the mirror. My plan is to buy some of those finger condoms that are like latex gloves, but for your fingers only. And wear them all day so that I never have a chance to "feel" imperfections. Hopefully it will work....-_-.

ive been picking for 5-6 years and im soooo sick of it.

The paper researching picking zits and my personalized plan to stop picking are a project for school. My Health book Core Concepts in Health by Paul M. Insel and Walton T. Roth. 10th edition. Has a GREAT steps and a plan for changing a target behavior! On pages 14-25. Check out my Part A Plan it has some great suggestions like using thick fake fingernails, clipping nails really short, removing tempting objects, and keeping the lights low when you shower or are most tempted to pick. If I may say so myself, my plan has ideas from all over the internet to quit and is a great place to start. There are now several names for this skin picking disorder. www.stoppickingonme.com is devoted exclusively to obsessive picking!

Oh My Gosh!!! :redface: Ok, I'll start from the beginning. Wed. I looked at my plan to quit picking and noticed that even though I'm not supposed to be "on the plan" for quitting yet one of my subgoals was to go one day without picking by Feb. 10th. :shifty: So that night I started practicing positive self talk and visualization. I went ALL DAY Thurs. without picking my face!! This morning I looked in the mirror and I have one small scab on my face and THAT'S IT!! Amazing results!! :dance: I am planning to stick with the plan now and keep up the progress I have made towards healthy skin! Yes the day of not picking was timed with my monthly face clearing time, but to have clear skin!! I'm hoping to clear up my chest before V-day as my boyfriend wants to go to a formal dinner. There are a couple scabs I should get rid of before then.

Totally clear skin!!! I can walk out of the house without makeup and LOVE the results I'm getting from not picking. Yesterday I was about to lose it and use my fingernail to scratch off some scaly skin so I wet a qtip and gently rubbed the scales off. I haven't stopped touching my face, but I haven't been picking either. I will completely stop picking by April 20th and my plan will include a plan to stop touching my face.

My first step for my behavior change plan is to record my picking habits. I did so and then started researching picking zits. I have attatched my paper. It examines the pros and cons of picking, the pros and cons of change, and places to get help and social support. This paper uses outside sources as well as my personal experiences. My next post will have my plan for quitting attached. This includes analyzing my patterns of behavior, my goals and subgoals (with dates for completion attached), rewards for achievments, and my plans for modifying my environment.

Oh, and I had to create a loophole free definition of what picking is. Otherwise I will rationalize it and end up with a picked face. I define picking as anything involving skin, or a skin imperfection, being touched, rubbed, squeezed, scrubbed, scratched, picked at, dug at, peeled (etc.) with fingers, fingernails, tweezers (etc.). If the blemish is clearly a whitehead it can be popped the correct way (refer to You: The Owner’s Manualfor definition and instructions).

I am glad that you could go out without makeup on......I went last thursday and friday without picking and then sat. me and my brother were fighting over the remote and he hit my cheek which had a very sensitive under the skin one and it started throbbing so I went in and I couldn't help it...I picked for like 30 mins....but I am gonna try the positive talk and just try to take it one day at a time......thanks so much for making this log...it is really encouraging

It is so easy to sit down in the bathroom with the magnifying mirror and declare war! I want to squeeze until nothing comes out of any part of my face. If you asked me why my answer would be either "I don't know, just because..." or "To make them better, of course!" Even when I start to rub, pick etc. now I picture myself waking up to perfect skin and saying "You can't tempt me into undermining my confidence and success." Talking OUT LOUD really helps me stay rational and connected to my goals. I also emptied my bathroom of any extra products and tempting objects. Good luck!! I'll keep you guys updated.

i have this problem. I usually try and not touch my face, but when im stressed out i usually feel my face. then it leads to me picking at pimples.

trying hard not to do so and I think im progressing

I do the same thing when i'm worried or stressed, especially if i'm sitting at a computer... I put my fingers all over my face, and if I feel the scabby pimples or scaly skin I start to pick.

So a few months back I realized this was the reason I was breaking out so heavily during midterms and finals, so I started touching my neck instead. Whenever I feel the urge, I rub my jawline and neck instead of my face - i dont get pimples on my cheeks very much anymore, and even though i get a few pimples along my jawline and neck now they aren't nearly as bad or visible! Also, rubbing such a pimple-free area makes me less self-conscious about my face! I tend to forget about how bad it is!

The worst is when a pimple starts to itch... oh man... those days just KILL me!

I have found that while studying or driving holding a stress ball helps me. The stress ball is the perfect size to keep my whole hand busy and it is almost impossible to rub at my face with something in each hand. I actually picked at my face last night for the first time since I started trying to quit. I needled a couple whiteheads and squeezed 3 zits with a tissue on each hand. I stopped and noticed every place I picked, even gently was red and blotchy, so I quit. Because I picked "gently" the redness was gone in 5 minutes. Now, that's my kind of picking! Slips and relapses are a natural part of the process. My brain however says, "I picked, and nothing bad happened!" but I'm trying to tell myself that picking can only harm my face and that even a squeeze damages skin and cells. I also turned in my Part A Plan for Behavior Change in paragraph form today. It is attached at the bottom and monitors my picking, analyzes my habits, sets goals and discusses strategies for action. If you just try to read the paper without knowing these subtitles you would be confused.

HLED_221_Part_A_Behavior_Change_Plan.doc

HLED_221_Part_A_Behavior_Change_Plan.doc

i pick.. sometimes more often then other times.. depends on my condition.. and what type of pimple im dealing with.. i dont like the painful pop's but sometimes i pop those buggers anyways because i will squeeze it until i feel it half way.. even if its so painful i just keep going lol...

I HATE HATE HATE having to dab my face of blood for so long afterwards... a couple weeks ago i had so many rags of blood spots in my garbage can!!

The good news is, I found that after 2-3 days of breaking the physical act of picking and I wasn't struggling with temptation every time I looked in the mirror. I skip the regimen more than I should, though. I sometimes get carried away with a 1-4 pimples and pick for a while. But when I talk out loud I keep myself rational and refrain. I was extremely surprised with how easy it was for me to quit. It just shows, you should always try before assuming.

I have found myself picking at "those inflamed pores that BEG to be picked"! Talking out loud doesn't help because I am focusing on the pore. It is time to utilize some other techniques. Maybe fake fingernails, stress ball in b-room, Uhhh I need more ideas! I need to visualize triumph over this more too. If you have any helpful tips to avoid picking, share! Please! It is only a couple of spots on my face but I want to have the healthy skin I get when I don't pick at all, not red blotches every where! I missed 2 regimens and my face delcared war, I got frustrated because there wasn't a quick fix and started picking. Don't skip the regimen, next week you will look worse, more breakouts! If you do skip get back on it with an upped dosage, quick! -For me personally anyways.

I have to go one week without picking by March 2nd. Lucky me I always realize these things at the last minute. I think I need to post my Part A Behavior Change Plan in the bathroom. So no picking for me today and until March 2nd. Great, just when I got a nice new juicy one :rolleyes: . Breaking the habit before it becomes a full blown addiction is good. I need to visualize more than self talk, it is more effective for my brain. I need to break the habit that is starting to pop up again.

1) Tape down lightswitch in b-room (the brightest one)

2) Put stress ball in convinient place

3) Visualize victory and put up more inspirational images

4) Keep sterilized needle handy

5) Fake nails (optional)

So, I have to go one week without picking, huh? This should include touching, rubbing, scratching etc. but I have found myself absentmindedly doing those. I need to visualize victory and keep hands offf!!!

Ok, I have completely relapsed. My self will started to crumble because of stress at school and bam! the Roman empire of willpower fell. Oh, well. Back to step one I go.

I am starting this plan too! LOL I have it awful and feel like this is the cause of why I can't become clear:( Good luck to you!

Hey good news and bad news! I didn't pick for a day and my skin started to recover and glow. Bad news: the next day I picked enough to cause 3 huge scabs on my face! Good luck Jenna! Remember, It is all in your mind!! Well, except the consequences which are on my face today.