Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
LoveGreenSmoothies

Dr. Rappaport

I was wondering if people who have consulted with Dr. Rapaport would share their experiences,procedures, and results.

I'm thinking of going to see him for my bumps--from my research, the only thing I think would help is laser.

~Emma

When he saw bumps on my chin he immediatley recommended Erbium laser followed by injection w/ some sort of steroid. He said he would charge 1k just for my chin. I didn't do it at that time, but I may. Or at least I'll do the just injections and save some money, for now. I wonder how much he'd charge for just injections...

He just said they were raised scars. I had never really thought about it, I just thought my chin was kinda rough looking. When I stretch the skin most of the bumps go away, so some of them are just loose skin. Others are harder, similar to a small zit that never healed. They aren't discolored or anything, so you need a certain light to see them.

I hope that helps.

Poohman,

Did you ever use retin-a? I am starting to think that the growths I have may be due to retin-a from some research I've done. It seems that it can cause sebaceous hyperplasia and over conditions since it affects keritanization. I still have to do research, but I'm wondering...

Emma

Imbue - I've been trying to search for some old posts of yours - was it you that had subcision AND TCA Cross at the same time with Dr R?

I am wondering how that would work - which would be first? I am seeing Dr Chu on the 7th of January and I may ask him to do some subcision and NLite (I don't think any of my pits are now large enough for excision).

Thanks. biggrin.gif

Maya

Maya,

Dr. R did both subcision and TCA on me, then followed it w/ Nlite the next day. I believe he did the subcision last, but I can't see how it would matter unless you are having both done to the same scar. All my scars were either/or, as that was how he classified them.

I was a bit disappointed w/ it too. I don't think I'd pay $1400 for that kind of improvement again.

I've had my first smoothbeam now and may combine that w/ another subcision from Rapaport, or if i could find someone cheaper who does it, that'd be great. No more $650 for a few zaps of N-lite though.

At least with smoothbeam they take 15 minutes instead of two minutes, and they do your whole face for $300.

Unfortunately I'm not sure my rolling scars are really ideal for subcision - they're not really bound down, but I can't think of anything else to do at this point.....

Oh Thanks Poohman - so what you're saying is that Dr R did NOT perform subcision and TCA on the SAME scar? ... somehow I thought both could be performed at the same time.

How did Dr R work out which scars to subcise and which ones to TCA?

Maya I can answer your question as I too saw Rappaport for subcision, TCA and Nlite.

All scars got hit with Nlite the day after the procedure. Never have I felt I have wasted more money on so little in my life. Literally, less than 3o seconds of Nlite was applied to my face for a cost of $650. As the other poster stated, never again.

As far as which scars to TCA and which got subcised, that was the easy part. Any deep or ice pick type scar was touched with TCA for something like $900 I might add. The rolling scars, shallow depressed areas or anything not too deep got subcised.

In my opinion the entire amount of money spent was a waste and the $40 I just spent for my own TCA yielded me far better results than the thousands spent at Rappaport.

nottoobad, after what you just reported, I feel incredibly lucky that Dr. Rappaport turned me away when I went to him for treatment and instead told me to wait until Artecoll is on the market in the next year or two. I am really sorry that you spent so much money and reaped so little in return. If it makes you feel any better, the $6,000 I spent on my dermabrasion several years ago was also a complete waste of time, pain and money--and brought me nothing but deeper scars. So, there you go...

This kind of thing happens a lot, and as far as I'm concerned, it only adds insult to injury.

I'm confused...why does everyone claim Dr. R is "the best", and a scar expert? So far, I've only heard negative things about him from the people who have been patients. So, where is reputation derived from?

Furthermore, I read a long time ago that N-Lite isn't very effective on scars, so why does he use it so frequently? If anything, CO2 is supposed to be the most effective laser for scars(out of all of the lasers available).

Is anyone satisfied with him?

~Emma

Emmanuel,

I think Dr. R. is considered the best because he is willing to attempt treatments on a condition that many other doctors are unwilling and unable to address. Instead of strictly using treatments like lasers or dermabrasion he has a wider arsenal at his disposal and it seems he keeps on top of the latest treatments. I think he told one person who posted here that they were paying the big bucks for his expertise. Bottom line though is that he is only a human being, with only the skills and knowledge that science has yielded so far. I personally find the arrogance he seems to display and the prices he charges to desperate people a little sickening. I mean really, for a few dollars worth of TCA he charges how much????? That's why we have this board and people putting acid on their own faces.

Just my opinion!

Anna

Imbue, I'm glad you're satisfied and have seen results.

Anna, Is he really very arrogant? In what way? I would like a nice compassionate Dr., but can deal with arrogance if they're good.

You said he charges a lot...I agree that exorbitant pricing is wrong. I DO think he should make a profit, but if he's charging much more than other competent M.D.'s' that is wrong. I would pay more for someone who is really good. It's true that you get what you pay for, especially with plastic surgery. I don't want to bargain hunt for someone to work on my face.

I'm wondering if he's really that good though?! I haven't seen many positive posts(except for imbue's). I would have to drive a total of four hours for a consultation with him--2 hours up; 2 hours back.Before I started this thread, I thought he was the best option for me, but now I'm not sure.

I am so perplexed about what to do sad.gif

~Emma

It is not an issue of how much your face is worth or looking for a bargain. The point is that he knows he is the only person doing most of these types of treatments (TCA and subcision) and as such he can and does charge whatever he likes. What makes me even more angry is the fact that his office is nothing special, is located 10 miles out of NYC in Ft Lee NJ where the rent is much lower and his overhead is minimal.

This is why I see him in a different Frank Mueller watch everytime I walk in his door. 3 times, 3 different watches each valued at over 30k a piece.

Why on Earth would a person want three watches by the same maker?!

I haven't really consulted anyone about TCA, so I don't know how many Dr.'s perform it, but I DO know many perform subcison. To be honest, I am not sure I would want TCA. I think it all depends on what kinds of scars/ conditions you're trying to treat.

I am trying to find someone whom can just diagnose my disorder, so I can get treatment.

Emma, my suggestion is to go see him. He'll explain the different treatment options for you at the consultation and he WILL be honest with you. I went to him because I heard he was the best in the greater NY/NJ area. That he turned me away--though disappointing--is actually a GOOD sign as he didn't do something to my face just to get my money. You deserve to have someone diagnose your disorder and give you treatment options and Dr. Rappaport will do that, so don't be afraid to at least meet with him to discuss your concerns.

Like Anna said, Rapaport is one of only a few Docs who is willing to be creative w/ scar treatment, and also, not many derms or plastic surgeons make acne scarring their area of specialty... the result is a man who doesn't need to be concerned with how he comes across personally and who can and does charge what we are willing to pay (I CHOSE to pay $1400).

I do appreciate Dr. R's williingness to push the boundries of scar treatment, but its not as though he's leaps and bounds beyond other derms as to the results that he delivers. He working w/ the same procedures, and as far as I know, hasn't come up w/ anything original or ground breaking on his own. He didn't invent N-Lite or subcision or even know about TCA/CROSS until roughly when we all did.

More than anything I just think he's a good business man. He's great at marketing. His name is always one of the first to come up when you do search on scars.

I wasn't disatisfied w/ anything but the N-lite. I went in intending not to do it, but ended up doing it. He seemed very aggresive and efficient at the subsicion part of it, and I healed up nicely from that and got about 10 to 20% improvement overall.

He said one or two obnoxious things to me but he wasn't unfriendly. I remember him as an arrogant man w/ a smile.

Emma- After the holidays I am going to see Dr. Rapaport myself. I had an emotional break down the other day when I pulled my visor mirror down in the car. I swear I noticed 5 scars that I never knew were there until I looked in that damn mirror. It was worse then the rear view mirror. I put my hazard lights on and just started crying my eyes out. I cried all night. I JUST WANT SOME KIND OF IMPROVEMENT! I am not looking to Rapaport as my savior but 30-50% improvement he would be!

I needed to vent!

I wish you so much luck with him and hope he can help you.

Littlefingers,

I know how you feel. I'm not looking for perfection either. I just want to find out what my condition is and get rid of it. There are other scars I have, but they don't bother me as much as the bumps..there are one or two I'd like to improve, but the rest I can live with..they're not that bad.

I am afraid that I'm going to drive all that way, only for him to look at me (like the other Dr.'s), and say he doesn't know what they are.

I've been pretty depressed lately, and don't even want to leave the house.It's not just my skin, I've been having some bad luck lately sad.gif

Did you make your appointment yet?

~Emma