Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Apple_Blossem

Bread and Acne - Published in Dermatology Mag and on the News

Type into google, "Bread and Acne."

You'll get tons of articles from the news and other sites.

Here is the gist of most of them:

This time, bread gets its comedown in the December 2002 issue of the Archives of Dermatology, which points the finger at bread as the culprit behind acne.

It's a complicated pathway from bread to acne, but it goes something like this: Bread turns into sugar when digested. In response to this, the body produces high levels of insulin and insulin-like growth factor (IGF-1). And here is where it gets interesting: elevated insulin levels lead to an excess of testosterone. This causes the pores in the skin to secrete sebum, a greasy substance that attracts bacteria and thus creates the infection known as acne, also known in the trade (and in secondary school) as zits.

My Question: Has anyone gone on a bread-diet for a few months? I mean, ALL breads? Free of ANYTHING that contains ANY grains - like even rice?

Yes, me too.

I'm already a vegetarian and almost a vegan (no dairy). I dont drink soda or fruit juice or coffee or alcohol or sugar. :P

I'm sitting here compiling a list of how much bread i eat (to see if I even eat a lot).

I was very surprised that a majority of what i eat is grain and some other things that arent too healthy:

Subway Sandwhich bread

Dairy free cookie wafers when I"m bored

corn chips

airpopped pop corn

a slice of rye bread every morning (I doubt this has a great effect)

oatmeal

homemade pizza crust

and some fake meats are based on wheat.

Every carb gets turned into sugar. Your body can use the other macronutrients as well for energy. Bread is a pretty damn wide swath here. There are many breads that have a low GI/Gl and turn into glucose quite gradually.

I'm on a low sugar diet now, and I think it helps somewhat. Or it's the fact that I feel better when I'm on it. I don't really know about acne wise, but I remember seeing a good difference. I wouldn't recommend it as curing acne, but to help you in general. The whole eating junk food and chocolate is bad for your skin thing isn't really true, but necessarily isn't wrong either. When you think about it, you are what you eat - you throw trash in your body and it'll spit it right back out. Though high cocoa chocolate is actually recommended ;)

I was completely clear of acne for about 4 years straight and I ate bread every single day for lunch back then. Just wish I could remember what else I was doing back then to stay acne-free.

I also know people who practically live off bread and have flawless skin.

I'm sure the connection with bread is valid for some people, but I guess individual experiences may vary.

Type into google, "Bread and Acne."

You'll get tons of articles from the news and other sites.

Here is the gist of most of them:

This time, bread gets its comedown in the December 2002 issue of the Archives of Dermatology, which points the finger at bread as the culprit behind acne.

It's a complicated pathway from bread to acne, but it goes something like this: Bread turns into sugar when digested. In response to this, the body produces high levels of insulin and insulin-like growth factor (IGF-1). And here is where it gets interesting: elevated insulin levels lead to an excess of testosterone. This causes the pores in the skin to secrete sebum, a greasy substance that attracts bacteria and thus creates the infection known as acne, also known in the trade (and in secondary school) as zits.

My Question: Has anyone gone on a bread-diet for a few months? I mean, ALL breads? Free of ANYTHING that contains ANY grains - like even rice?

apple blossem as an experiment try laying down on your back for half an hour after you have eaten lots of bread (or an other high carb food/meal). You may find the results really interesting, i.e no zits.

i was on a raw diet for 3-4 months straight.. no bread.. no rice.. no pasta.. my skin was SO much better, but never 100%.. and it wasnt just the bread.. then after the raw diet i was on another diet consisting of no bread.. and nothing .. now i eat some bread, rice and pasta.. and because i limit these and other carbs and combine them with good fat and protein, i have limited breakouts.. but then i added amoxiccillin into the mix and i have two zits.

I have gone off all complex carbohydrates, and milk for a while. And actually I had perfect skin. Now, I have only been getting acne since I was 17 and I am 19 now, so I may not have the same problem as everybody. The problem was that it was hard to get and cook my own food. I would do it now, but I live in a dorm, and have no car to go to the grocery store, so I live on pretty shitty diet right now. Also, to explain why some people have problems with complex carbohydrates and others don't, it can be described as some of our ancestors not evolving to eat complex carbohydrates. Most indigenous people on earth who are not living with the rest of civilization, don't eat complex carbohydrates, because they are hard to come by and are usually not easily edible. Also, humans are the only animals in the primate family that are known to eat complex carbohydrates...(read the theory behind the Neanderthin or Paleolithic diet).

I think it could be a similar process of evolution to that of digesting lactose (though probably not as simple). About 75% of people alive on earth right now are lactose intolerant. It is a recessive gene, and it calls for the lactose making enzyme to stop being made during childhood. If you are not lactose intolerant, your ancestors have evolved to digest lactose into adulthood. Check Wikipedia for more info if you want.

And just so you know, breads and grains are not the only things that cause major insulin increases, potatoes and other complex carbohydrates can too.

oatmeal is fine. an overdose of bready foods may definetely cause some sort of negative reaction in the body. this reaction may quite possibly cause volatility in the skin.