Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
blahqwerty

5 months and skin still extremely dry

I've been using the gel and cleanser regularly since about August. My skin, however, still becomes extremely dry and flaky after a week's worth of application - so dry that it's painful. This forces me to take a break for a couple days, eliminating any progress my face has made. I only apply once a day, and use Neutrogena's Oil Free Moisture (Combination Skin, the SPF was far too heavy and oily for me). And what's more, the dryness is especially noticable in a place where I don't use the gel - on my neck, from the collarbone to the adam's apple, quite literally giving me a red-neck.

Has anyone else experienced this problem? Is there anything I can do?

Hello sorry to hear about this since your couple of months in you might want to switch moisturizers or add jojoba oil or AHA

more information can be found here http://acne.org/aha.html

let us know if you have any questions everyone on this forum will try to help and support you

I think you should absolutely switch moisturizers! The Neutrogena Oil-Free one is not known for being particularly moisturizing, so I think you should find something better or start adding in jojoba oil. You could try Lac-Hydrin 5, Complex 15, Cetaphil lotion, as I think any of those would be better than what you are currently using. You can also apply moisturizer to your neck to eliminate dryness there even though you don't use BP there.

if you aren't applying BP to your neck and getting dry and inflamed there, you may be suffering an allergic reaction to BP

But only on my neck? Being allergic would make more sense if my entire face was inflamed.

I've been using the gel and cleanser regularly since about August. My skin, however, still becomes extremely dry and flaky after a week's worth of application - so dry that it's painful. This forces me to take a break for a couple days, eliminating any progress my face has made. I only apply once a day, and use Neutrogena's Oil Free Moisture (Combination Skin, the SPF was far too heavy and oily for me). And what's more, the dryness is especially noticable in a place where I don't use the gel - on my neck, from the collarbone to the adam's apple, quite literally giving me a red-neck.

Has anyone else experienced this problem? Is there anything I can do?

Try a different moisturizer, like Cetaphil Moisturizing Lotion. Or you can add a few drops of jojoba oil to your current moisturizer and this should definitely help.

http://www.acne.org/faq.html#dry

http://www.acne.org/aha.html

btw moisturising your neck at the same time as your face results in BP getting caught up in the moisturiser and you smother it on your neck, which doesn't really produce much oil, you'll end up with a neck like leather.

If you want to moisturise your neck please make sure you do it last, and do it separate from the rest of your face, so you don't get ANY BP on your neck.

That will solve that problem, I'm 99.9% certain.

Yeah, this is a condition that I have just now named "BP neck" because that happens to me, too, and it always has. If the BP even gets too close to my neck, the next day my whooole neck and sometimes my chest are dry and really itchy. My face, however, doesn't really ever get irritated.

Experienced similar problems after 2 months of application, not only did it give me an extremely dry skin but it also gave me new scars out of nowhere, a shitty looking skin (red patches everywhere) and red marks all over the place. My forehead was just as smooth as a baby skin even with the couple of black spots I would get there, but now it's got a lot of scars and red marks. I've dropped that shitty BP 5% and took roaccutane instead, and I'm glad I did.

But it's just mycase, BP worked for other people so I won't tell you not to use it, just try to do what's best for you.

I’d also suggest switching, I was using the Neutrogena moisturiser you were, and it was awful at keeping me moisturised, I’m now using Cetaphil gentle moisturising lotion, and whilst at first it was extremely greasy, it’s so moisturising, and you hardly need any.

Same thing happened to me.. I was using PanOxyl 5% BP Aquagel.... I got extreme flakiness, redness & crustiness. So i'm assuming I was allergic to some product in it. I switched to Clearasil... And apart from some small flakes when I don't moisturize.. I'm fine. Even without moisturizer, I have no dryness or redness. Oh, and i'm clear too ^^

Yea thats really weird because I don't put BP on my neck either.. and it's been extremely dry lately. What real maverick said might be right though cus i would moisturize my neck same time as my face. i've added jojoba oil and am starting to moisturize it seperately. we'll see how it goes

Im in my second month of the Regimen and I had really flaky skin on the parts where I applied the most BP. I received my AHA and Jojoba oil the other day and now I can keep my flaky skin under control. Actually, the flakes has reduces significally, which is great. Before, I had to apply much mousturizer and still after maybe 4-5 hours of my day, the flakes would break through the layer of mousturizer and I'd get comments on it. Some small kids even asked if I had sand in my face. Haha!

Anyways, this is the regimen that is keeping me free of flaky skin right now:

Morning:

1. Dan's Cleanser

2. Dan's BP

3. Dan's mousturizer with 2 drops of Dan's Jojoba Oil.

Night

1. Dan's Cleanser

2. Dan's BP

3. Dan's AHA(using a "line of cream" on the lenght of a finger.

(in other words, I love you Dan) :angel:

I hope this will help you.