Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
NAPALM

Help me with these scars!!!

hello, could someone please help me figure out what kind of scars these are? they are mostly small indentations all over the side of my face. i also have a raised spot below my left jaw. i know i've got 2 big rolling scars (you cant really see them in these pics) but the rest of my face just has these little indentations giving it a "rough" appearance. would these be considered mild, moderate, or severe scars? would a laser help? i want to try fraxel but its soo fucken expensive.

also, the red blotchyness i think is from the retin-a and clindamycin topicals that i am using, i'm not too concerned about it. and most of the stuff around my mouth is active acne but i have a feeling its gonna scar too especially that big one.

another question- all these pics are of the left side of my face, but the right side is pretty much baby smoothe. it rarely scars and it doesnt even get that much acne compared to my left side - any ideas why? i dont touch either side of my face and i dont think i sleep on either side more than the other. probaby genetics i guess.

anyway someone please help me figure out these scars they are pissing me the fuck off!!!!!

Hey napalm!

First, I think your scars are not bad at all, I still think guys with scars are sexy :). Mine are similar to yours just they're much more visible. Yours are barelly noticeable.

I can see rolling scars but no other scars. Maybe you should wait to get rid of all activ acne, and you'll se that this are just bumps under your skin, that make you fell your skin is "rough". I have the same problem...

I can't give you any advice on treatment, because I haven't done any... Just wait untill you'll be totally clear. I know how depressing can be scarring. Because of it I have very low self esteem. It sucks.

Just remember, you're very good looking and if you smile noone will notice your scars. Don't let them hold you down ;).

before you do any scar treatments take accutane first

I think he don't need accutane. His acne are way to mild for that.

Hello

I just wanted to give my advice. Again i'm not a doctor...so ask your doctor before you do any of this...and again...ITS JUST MY PERSONAL OPINION.

Ok your skin is not bad...and your acne is not bad...so don't go on accutane. You really do not need accutane. Again this is just my opinion...consult your doctor.

In my opinion what you need to do is the following.

1) Stop using any hairsprays or gels that can get on the face

2) Stop using conditioner

3) Use a sulfate free shampoo with very little fragrance....for example "Mastey" traite www.mastey.com it can be found at salons and hair product stores

4) Take a shower before you go to bed...and wash your face

5) change your pillow case everynight if you can

6) wash your pillow cases with Tide free...its the version with no dyes or fragrance....and do an extra rinse in the wash cycle to get all the tide out

7) wash your face with any of the following.... clearisil daily face wash with triclosan, purpose, or cetaphil. I reccommend clearisil with triclosan...make sure its not clearisil with salycilic acid.

8) since you have mild acne take an oral antibiotic such as minocycline or doxycycline.

9) Deffinately use clindomycin on your face at bed time! Make sure its Clindomycin topical GEL..... the solution doesnt work as well for the face.

10) AVOID products wih salycilic acid and benzoil peroxide. In my opinion these two products make acne worse

11) Exception to number 10) ----Perscription BENZACLIN (mixed benzoil peroxide with clindomycin) very good for spot treatment will get rid of a zit overnight...but do not use all over your face.

12) STOP USING RETIN-A. Most people do not use it correctly...so it causes more redness, more pimples, and just makes matters worse.

13) Stop using vitamins, in my experience with family and friends, people who are not vitamin deficient and eat a healthy balanced meal, but still take vitamins end up breaking out. AGAIN JUST MY PERSONAL EXPERIENCE...consult your doctor

14) DO STOP EATING JUNK FOOD....i'm sorry but fast food, fried food, etc does cause acne...( ON THIS ONE I DONT CARE WHAT DOCTORS SAY) FOOD CAN CAUSE ACNE. A NIGHT OF KFC CHICKEN DIPPED IN HOT SAUCE...LEADS TO A MORNING OF ZITS FOR ME.

15) SHAVING! SHAVING CAN CAUSE ACNE...so shave in the following manner. if you are using an electric shaver...stop......it is a breading ground for bacteria...unless you sterilize after each use.

Get clearisil daily face wash with triclosan and use this as your shaving cream. Take a mirror into the shower...shave in the shower at the end of your shower...at this point your beard will be soft and require less friction for shaving. DONT BE CHEAP...use a new CLEAN razer everytime if you can. Otherwise sterilize with alcohol and peroxide...dry...and store in a dry place till next use. DO NOT USE CHEAP RAZERS...get the expensive gillette with 3 or 4 blades. TRUST ME SHAVING WITH CHEAP, DIRTY, USED RAZERS CAUSES ACNE....

SHAVE GOING DOWN..NEVER UP

ok do all of that and your zits should go away within a month.

now on to scars.

you dont need anything abrasive...you have good skin.

i suggest subcision...you will need about 4-5 treatments to see Real results... 1or 2 treatments just does not show significant results with subcision.

stay away from lazers...they are not for you...your skin is not bad.

If you have continued redness.....the one lazer i do reccomend is v-beam.... it will get rid of all your red spots!

ok thats it. since your scars are not bad...again i think just subcision should be enough.

hope all that helps

hello, could someone please help me figure out what kind of scars these are? they are mostly small indentations all over the side of my face. i also have a raised spot below my left jaw. i know i've got 2 big rolling scars (you cant really see them in these pics) but the rest of my face just has these little indentations giving it a "rough" appearance. would these be considered mild, moderate, or severe scars? would a laser help? i want to try fraxel but its soo fucken expensive.

also, the red blotchyness i think is from the retin-a and clindamycin topicals that i am using, i'm not too concerned about it. and most of the stuff around my mouth is active acne but i have a feeling its gonna scar too especially that big one.

another question- all these pics are of the left side of my face, but the right side is pretty much baby smoothe. it rarely scars and it doesnt even get that much acne compared to my left side - any ideas why? i dont touch either side of my face and i dont think i sleep on either side more than the other. probaby genetics i guess.

anyway someone please help me figure out these scars they are pissing me the fuck off!!!!!

your scars are quite similar to mine.

I'm having a set of microdermabrasions done, i did my first a week ago and it helped smooth out my face, ill be doing another on friday morning and ill let you know if i see more improvements.

Also i'm gonna start using green cream, its a retinol and what that does is make the skin reproduce faster, its like a steroid for the skin, so your skin heals faster on its own. I dunno how effective it is for my scars and red marks yet ill be getting some samples in a weeks time and then ill post the effect it had on me.

If you have any questions just private message me, but ill post how the 2nd microdermabrasion went on friday :)

Your skin looks irritated(red). Get it back to normal tone (moistuerize). You only have couple spots but the redness is making it look much worse. I think those scars might go away or the spots is still healing. Treat one thing at a time.

Trust me my acne is WAY more severe than it looks in the pics. Right now I am 99% clear because I am taking doxycyclene, clindamycin, retin-a, and benzoyl peroxide. This has helped a lot for me (although yeah i know the doxy will wear off after a while). A few months ago my acne was TOTALLY out of control and I looked a LOT different, trust me. I even started getting cysts. I plan on taking this for the next year, and if the doxy wears off and my acne gets real bad I will take accutane.

Yes I will definately wait until I am 100% clear for a while before I do anything for the scars (I prolly wont anyway because of $$$ and really im just too damn lazy). Thanks a lot for the help.

Hey there Napalm...the most important thing I can tell you is never ever pick, pop, poke, squeeze, or shave over any active acne. In fact, stay the hell out of the mirror as much as possible until all of your acne clears so that you are not tempted to do any of those things. Let me tell you though, your face honestly is not in bad shape. Once all of the little bit of acne that you do have is eventually clear, you may find that a lot of what you once thought were scars actually aren't. You still look pretty young and now is your chance to save your face by not allowing any acne to cause scarring. I think you are doing the right thing by going on the medication to help bring your acne under control. It doesn't appear like you really need to, but if in the future you need to go on accutane, do not be afraid to use it nor find a derm who will prescribe it. I know in the past accutane has gotten a bad rap, but had I known about accutane sooner, it could have saved me from much of the psychological weight that I have to carry from the scarring left by my previous acne, which I believe can be much much worse than any possible side effects from accutane itself. Judging by the short hair, field jacket liner, and choice of screen name...I'm guessing that that you go to bed late, get up early, do pt, and need to shave everyday. So as for the shaving part: try to shave real good late enough at night so that you can slide by the next morning looking like you shaved that morning. If you shave at night, it will allow you enough time to go slowly and be careful, which will greatly help you to avoid nicks, scrapes, and most importantly shaving over any acne. Also neutrogena on the spot treatment seems to be pretty effective over the counter way to take care of individual pimples, maybe you'll find it helpful. As for the scars: from looking at your pics, I really don't think you should pursue anything more aggressive than subcision if anything at all. Silicone microdroplet also sounds to me like it can be very effective, but I do not have any personal experience with it so I don't believe I'm in a position to say one way or the other. Also it wouldn't hurt to use a sunscreen either and don't ever fool yourself into thinking that a suntan will help get rid of acne. Skin Ceuticals makes a pretty good one, daily sun defense spf 20. Bottom line: your acne does not look like it is bad, the scarring does not look significant, but make you keep the acne under tight control so that you do not develop or cause any scars in the future. Best of luck to you...

glad you've been clearing up- but i will echo sanjoseskin's #14 regarding food- was on two oral treatments with tazorac and still had terrible acne- found out it was due to having too much sugar. sugar and dairy will fuck up my skin regardless of meds- if other methods don't help control the outbreaks, you may want to try limiting intake. i have similar rolling scarring as well- i have just started a series of subcision, but am afraid i cannot recommend a solution just yet. can say needling did nothing for mine though, and please do be wary of laser treatments.

Hey Napalm...I got your message and I'll respond later on tonight when I get back (in a little hurry right now). I could probably hook you up with a couple of things from over here if you got an address to send to. Anyway, I really gotta go now, but I will reply sometime late tonight. Stay safe and I'll talk to you later...

It’s clindamycin and it is an antibiotic. Taken orally or topically. Duac topical gel has 1% clindamycin and 5% BP. I think it does a good job. One conservative acne regime would entail applying Duac in the morning and a gel version of Retin a or Tazorac at night.

If the conservative route doesn’t work - It is recommended to take the regime up a level and ultimately to accutane. I would recommend the original poster to go on accutane - you are young, not much scarring, but look like you are very susceptible to scarring.

Hello Maclaren!

Both - acne and popping pimples can cause scarring. I'm sure it effects others differently though. I, for one, scar regardless if I pick or not. But I am sure there are others who primarily scar just from popping.

I'm having a set of microdermabrasions done, i did my first a week ago and it helped smooth out my face, ill be doing another on friday morning and ill let you know if i see more improvements.

Also i'm gonna start using green cream, its a retinol and what that does is make the skin reproduce faster, its like a steroid for the skin, so your skin heals faster on its own. I dunno how effective it is for my scars and red marks yet ill be getting some samples in a weeks time and then ill post the effect it had on me.

If you have any questions just private message me, but ill post how the 2nd microdermabrasion went on friday :)

ok, as i promised you here is an update after my 2nd microderm.

I had it yesterday, now its the morning after. I noticed further improvement in the red marks and my face is much smoother now, still not 100% smooth but better. I would say about 40% smoother since i started out ( note the deep scars that i have are unchanged or at least had a very minimal effect but a lot of the 'wavyness' has improved).

next treatment is on saturday, and i hope by then ill be on the green cream too, it takes ages to ship to europe. Ill keep you updated

ok, as i promised you here is an update after my 2nd microderm.

I had it yesterday, now its the morning after. I noticed further improvement in the red marks and my face is much smoother now, still not 100% smooth but better. I would say about 40% smoother since i started out ( note the deep scars that i have are unchanged or at least had a very minimal effect but a lot of the 'wavyness' has improved).

next treatment is on saturday, and i hope by then ill be on the green cream too, it takes ages to ship to europe. Ill keep you updated

thanks rubern, i would like to consider some type of minor scar treatment later down the line. i am thinking lasers (but they are expensive) or microdermabrasion (but i am still kind of sketchy on that one). let me know how your microderm goes.

Actually right now retin-a seems to be doing a good job, that redmark/scar on my left temple has gone down about 30% since I took that picture. But if I still have marks later, I want to try a very light scar treatment. I dont want to do subcision or even dermabrasion or anything that involves more tearing up my face. I am thinking maybe just a couple of spot-treatments with fraxel because I have heard they are cheaper. Or maybe I will say fuck it and just leave em there who knows!?!?!

I would recommend you, NAPALM, to consider Accutane. Your acne, may be sparse, but it is still of nodular/cystic type and your skin looks as if it is suspectable to scarring. Both these qualities are criteria for accutane recommendation.

If you arent already seeing one, see a derm.

In my experience, topicals and antibiotics work temporarily and require that you are consistent all the time with their use. Accutane is the only thing that can possibly send acne into permanent remission and end the root problem. After accutane you wont get anymore scars and can then worry about treatments for scars without worrying about breaking out again.

I have tried treating acne and scars at the same time and it didnt work. Products for scars are different than the products for acne. Get rid of one, then the other.

If accutane isnt an option, my best recommendation is tazorac, because it can treat your acne and scars simulatenously but it is a treatment that takes a LONG time to work for scars.

Hello

I just wanted to give my advice. Again i'm not a doctor...so ask your doctor before you do any of this...and again...ITS JUST MY PERSONAL OPINION.

Ok your skin is not bad...and your acne is not bad...so don't go on accutane. You really do not need accutane. Again this is just my opinion...consult your doctor.

In my opinion what you need to do is the following.

1) Stop using any hairsprays or gels that can get on the face

2) Stop using conditioner

3) Use a sulfate free shampoo with very little fragrance....for example "Mastey" traite www.mastey.com it can be found at salons and hair product stores

4) Take a shower before you go to bed...and wash your face

5) change your pillow case everynight if you can

6) wash your pillow cases with Tide free...its the version with no dyes or fragrance....and do an extra rinse in the wash cycle to get all the tide out

7) wash your face with any of the following.... clearisil daily face wash with triclosan, purpose, or cetaphil. I reccommend clearisil with triclosan...make sure its not clearisil with salycilic acid.

8) since you have mild acne take an oral antibiotic such as minocycline or doxycycline.

9) Deffinately use clindomycin on your face at bed time! Make sure its Clindomycin topical GEL..... the solution doesnt work as well for the face.

10) AVOID products wih salycilic acid and benzoil peroxide. In my opinion these two products make acne worse

11) Exception to number 10) ----Perscription BENZACLIN (mixed benzoil peroxide with clindomycin) very good for spot treatment will get rid of a zit overnight...but do not use all over your face.

12) STOP USING RETIN-A. Most people do not use it correctly...so it causes more redness, more pimples, and just makes matters worse.

13) Stop using vitamins, in my experience with family and friends, people who are not vitamin deficient and eat a healthy balanced meal, but still take vitamins end up breaking out. AGAIN JUST MY PERSONAL EXPERIENCE...consult your doctor

14) DO STOP EATING JUNK FOOD....i'm sorry but fast food, fried food, etc does cause acne...( ON THIS ONE I DONT CARE WHAT DOCTORS SAY) FOOD CAN CAUSE ACNE. A NIGHT OF KFC CHICKEN DIPPED IN HOT SAUCE...LEADS TO A MORNING OF ZITS FOR ME.

15) SHAVING! SHAVING CAN CAUSE ACNE...so shave in the following manner. if you are using an electric shaver...stop......it is a breading ground for bacteria...unless you sterilize after each use.

Get clearisil daily face wash with triclosan and use this as your shaving cream. Take a mirror into the shower...shave in the shower at the end of your shower...at this point your beard will be soft and require less friction for shaving. DONT BE CHEAP...use a new CLEAN razer everytime if you can. Otherwise sterilize with alcohol and peroxide...dry...and store in a dry place till next use. DO NOT USE CHEAP RAZERS...get the expensive gillette with 3 or 4 blades. TRUST ME SHAVING WITH CHEAP, DIRTY, USED RAZERS CAUSES ACNE....

SHAVE GOING DOWN..NEVER UP

ok do all of that and your zits should go away within a month.

now on to scars.

you dont need anything abrasive...you have good skin.

i suggest subcision...you will need about 4-5 treatments to see Real results... 1or 2 treatments just does not show significant results with subcision.

stay away from lazers...they are not for you...your skin is not bad.

If you have continued redness.....the one lazer i do reccomend is v-beam.... it will get rid of all your red spots!

ok thats it. since your scars are not bad...again i think just subcision should be enough.

hope all that helps

yeah, accutane. be aware though, some people have said accutane actually causes further scarring. never tried it, so look into that more.

good luck with whatever you choose to do for the scarring.

anyway, i really just messaged to say U ARE HOT!

so what kind of scarring is that, is it rolling? I have something similar when you look closely you can not see it to much but, when you look at a distance or in certain lighting you can. In the 4th picture you can a see scar but it is not really rolling.