Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Potatoes.

allergy tests

ok so i've been reading alot lately that food allergies could be the no.1 cause of acne, and that if your an acne sufferer you should really get a food allergy test done.

for example....http://www.foodallergysolutions.com/food-a...y-news0402.html

i've had acne for roughly 4 and a half years now and have been on almost every drug out there including accutane, and yet i still have acne. During this time i have never been told or advised to take a food allergy test. so now i'm wondering if i could be allergic to something. :think:

So anyway i thought i'd ask you guys what you think about it, do you think it would be wise for me to ask for a food allergy test?. also i'd like to know have any of you had food allergy tests done before and been told your allergic to certain foods? and did stopping them help your acne at all?

thanks. :)

Yes.... I stopped eating PEANUT BUTTER because I heard that it can cause pimples.

One day, I started to eat PEANUT BUTTER again for a week because I heard that it can help you gain weight!

After a week of consuming it, I broke out HORRIBLY!

Then, I stopped again.... and break out decreases, greatly decreases!

Also, SPICY foods caused my breakouts.

I now trying to eat healthy, i.e. lots of fruits and veges!

I believe, strongly believe that DIET does play an important role to our skin!

No.

I don't have allergy to food!

Just some foods cause me breakout, normally they are the foods I like! SAD!

People said that MILK also cause breakout, but I personally don't think so!

What do you eat for a typical day, Po-ta-toes (M16)?

Have you noticed that some foods cause you breakout?

my typical day consists of, cereal, milk, bread, butter, fruit juice, fruit, po-ta-toes ;), vegetables, yoghurt, chocolate, and some kind of meat/chicken/fish occasionally.....thats about all i can think at the moment

I took a food allergy test a couple of years ago, similar to the one mentioned in the link you posted. The test indicated that I was intolerant (rather than allergic) to numerous foods. Allergies are different from intolerances in that an allergic reaction to something is usually immediate or close to immediate, whereas an intolerance may not show up for several days and then the symptoms are not particularly noticeable.

I gave up most of the foods listed - there were about 50 so it was impossible to avoid everything, but I reckon I got about 95% of the way there. I did this for about 5 to 6 months. My acne did not clear up and I lost alot of weight. I do think more carefully about what I eat now but I don't eliminate the foods that the test indicated I was intolerant to. I notice no ill effects. I do however try to improve my digestion and heal what I believe may be leaky gut.

P.S. the tests can be quite expensive. I spent about GBP175 on mine. Also, if you are going to do the test I would stick to the blood test one which at least appears scientific, rather than some of the other tests which do not.

thanks for the info JBHK :D..was very helpful. well i can get it done for free on the NHS i think, though apparentally there's a long wait for it. but after reading what you've said i guess it isn't that important really for helping my acne so i think i'm gonna ask my doc about it and see if i can get put on the list. :)

You should get that done even if it doesn't help your acne. It's always good to know what foods to avoid. I had it done and found out i'm allergic to a few things like coffee, chocolate, peanuts, pecans, etc. I stay away from all of it except chocolate somtimes. I cant say for sure if it's helped my skin because it stays clear on the regimen, but it has helped me feel healthier overall to avoid them. Especially peanut butter, which i ate a lot and noticed i'd get weird leg pain from it! So Good luck!

ok so i've been reading alot lately that food allergies could be the no.1 cause of acne, and that if your an acne sufferer you should really get a food allergy test done.

for example....http://www.foodallergysolutions.com/food-a...y-news0402.html

i've had acne for roughly 4 and a half years now and have been on almost every drug out there including accutane, and yet i still have acne. During this time i have never been told or advised to take a food allergy test. so now i'm wondering if i could be allergic to something. :think:

So anyway i thought i'd ask you guys what you think about it, do you think it would be wise for me to ask for a food allergy test?. also i'd like to know have any of you had food allergy tests done before and been told your allergic to certain foods? and did stopping them help your acne at all?

thanks. :)

thanks for the info JBHK :D..was very helpful. well i can get it done for free on the NHS i think, though apparentally there's a long wait for it. but after reading what you've said i guess it isn't that important really for helping my acne so i think i'm gonna ask my doc about it and see if i can get put on the list. :)

Yeah - even though it didn't really help me, I think its still worth getting it done, especially if its free. You can try it out for yourself, avoiding the relevant foods, to see if it helps. It may be that my problems were just too extensive and too long term to be cured in this way. Good luck.