Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
mx123

Alcohol + Accutane

Ok well I'm supposed to be going on holiday at the end of January with some mates for 2 weeks (or possibly just 1 week), and it's rather likely that we will be getting drunk every night.. I'm just worried about the stress that is going to be put on my liver with that and Accutane, and I don't know what to do for the best..

Do I go and try not to drink much?

Do I go and stay off accutane while I'm there?

Do I just not go at all?

I really don't know. :( What do you guys think I should do?

Ok well I'm supposed to be going on holiday at the end of January with some mates for 2 weeks (or possibly just 1 week), and it's rather likely that we will be getting drunk every night.. I'm just worried about the stress that is going to be put on my liver with that and Accutane, and I don't know what to do for the best..

Do I just not go at all?

Well I am going south too in feb. 07 and i think moderation is key here. You can't stop living, but you need to be careful. Have a glass, not a tank! If your the type that wont have fun if you don't drink... for your own piece of mind, you might wanna pass this time around.

I think if I do go it's just going to be a week because I think 2 weeks would be too much, I'll just come home a week before my friends if they stay for 2 weeks. Also when I'm there I'll probably do weed and stuff some nights instead of drinking to give my liver a bit of a break..

Do I just not go at all?

I vote for going and moderating your drinking.

the most I've drank while on tane was 1-2 shots + 2-3 beers... in a night over a period of time

I used to hammer down 12 beers at the end of a week before tane... now 1 (ONE) beer has me buzzin on tane, it's ridiculous...

I guess the liver can't work properly or something and the alcohol goes to the head and bloodstream... meh

the most I've drank while on tane was 1-2 shots + 2-3 beers... in a night over a period of time

I used to hammer down 12 beers at the end of a week before tane... now 1 (ONE) beer has me buzzin on tane, it's ridiculous...

I guess the liver can't work properly or something and the alcohol goes to the head and bloodstream... meh

I think it has more to do with you not drinking while on Tane and not at all to do with your liver's ability to process alcohol. A typical, healthy liver, will eliminate about 1 drink from your bloodstream in an hour. It takes, depending on the drink and the contents of your stomach, about 10 minutes for the alcohol to enter your blood stream - so really, your liver isn't doing much to keep you from getting drunk. The liver slowly removes the alcohol from your bloodstream, it doesn't prevent it from entering.

Do I just not go at all?

Eh - for the last 6 weeks I haven't touched a single drop of alcohol. This last weekend though, I went out to my buddies place and ended up drinking. A lot. I felt no worse than I ever would have....but I was 'worried' because I wasn't supposed to drink. I went back and looked at all of the papers my Doc had given me, the big iPledge book, and I didn't find anything in there about not drinking. I also looked at the accutane package and I couldn't find anything.

I haven't been able to find any statistically that really address the likelyhood of complications from drinking + accutane. And, the whole depression thing hasn't even really been proven (people still debate that accutane doesn't cause depression - but whatever) that is all over the packaging. My point is - if something scientists are still debating makes it onto all of these print outs; and alcohol doesn't....I wonder how dangerous it really is.

Of course, most of hte people on accutane are younger and underage drinking is 'bad' anyway - so if it stops more kids from drinking, who cares?

I do drink while on high dose of tane... my advice (i'm tipsy now ;).. do what do you feel you want to do, you'll not get a professional opionion here! imho, drinking will not strain your liver more than the fact that you're not having good time while your firends are!

Getting drunk strains your liver (not sure how but it does).

Drinking a moderate amount (2 drinks for a woman, 3-4 for a man) does not strain the liver (in most cases).

Getting drunk strains your liver (not sure how but it does).

Drinking a moderate amount (2 drinks for a woman, 3-4 for a man) does not strain the liver (in most cases).

are you a liver expert? what is the drink and how do you know that 2 and 3-4 is a moderate whatever drinking? lol

I do drink while on high dose of tane... my advice (i'm tipsy now ;).. do what do you feel you want to do, you'll not get a professional opionion here! imho, drinking will not strain your liver more than the fact that you're not having good time while your firends are!

Haha - well, I think that's just wishful thinking. Drinking *is* bad for anyone's liver; but realistically, it's only a 'little bad'. It takes years of abuse to have real problems from drinking. Even if accutane makes drinking 2x as dangerous, it's still something I'm willing to do.

Before 'tane I'd only drink once or twice a month; so I'm just going to keep drinking and not worry about it. I'm healthy and if I ever have any side-effects, I'll cut back. I think my body would give me some warning before it'd just up and die.

I would moderate your intake. Not only does accutane + alcohol stress the liver but when I was on accutane last year I got drunk sooo fast. It was also not how I would normally act drunk.. I got angry easily. Also, maybe it's just me but I think that if you drink while taking accutane it prevents the accutane from working to the best of it's ability. Just my two cents. I drank last year on quite a few occasions. Needless to say I'm starting a second course in another week.

Wierd.

I felt like I could drink a lot more while on accutane than I normally could. I was expecting to be a lightweight, but I was going strong all night.

Obviously accutane is going to affect everyone's liver differently. I would say that if there is a history of liver problems in your family or if your blood results are coming back questionable, then excessive binge drinking is probably not a good idea. If this isn't the case, then I would think that a few nights (not EVERY night) of heavy drinking should be ok, as long as it's not a habit.