Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
LaLa2006

Good choice to stick into my regimen???

I have been reading about Paulas Choice 2% Beta Hydroxy Acid Gel or Lotion. my regimen is what my signature is. i was wondering if adding this to what i do right now is good? i need an exfoliater and i hear this products does the job good. I started using Aveeno Ultra Calming Foaming Cleanser but my face is terribly dry now.. I started using Cetaphil again. I dont know if the face wash is making my skin dry or the BP im using [just started trying the On The Spot..used Dans BP for 3 months and before that i used Clearasil 10% for years]. That or i need a good exfoliater. are there any good cleansers or anything that goes with Paulas Choice 2% Beta Hydroxy Acid Gel or Lotion????? im a lil clueless bout it..read a buncha stuff on the product but im not completely sure if i should spend the $$ for it.

any suggestions for me?? thanks!

I used to recommend Aveeno's Ultra-Calming Face Cleanser before I knew that feverfew was an irritant when applied topically. Because the surfectant used in the cleanser was mild and the feverfew was not in contact with the skin for any great length of time I figured that the cleanser was probably OK to use, but just to be sure I stopped recommending it. The feverfew may have been causing problems for you, though. Cetaphil's OK, but it's not great. I like Eucerin's Redness Relief Cleanser better.

I definately don't recommend Aveeno's Ultra-Calming Moisturizer, because the feverfew is in contact with the skin for a long time. In addition, it contains what may or may not be too high a concentration of benzyl alcohol, a drying form of alcohol. Also, the moisturizer contains waxy thickeners that may clog pores in some people. Lastly, it contains fragrance, which is not good for sensitive skin types. Dove's Sensitive Skin Facial Lotion is much better and contains more beneficial ingredients for the skin.

Neutrogena's On the Spot Treatment contains bentonite, which can be drying, especially when combined with benzoyl peroxide. Dan's CSR Gel is better-formulated and cheaper per ounce; why did you stop using it? Also, make sure you only use a pea-sized glob of product rather than a full fingerlength, which is too irritating.

Definately don't use apple cider vinegar with Paula's Choice exfoliants; vinegar can be too irritating in the first place.

Make sure you don't give up too quickly with your new regimen; unless your skin is clearly having a bad reaction (and not just a few new breakouts) you should try it out for preferably two months to see a noticeable improvement.

thanks for all the advice!! well.. i was on the CSR [now DKR or something like that] for a lil over 3 months.. ugh i decided i didnt like it. my face wasnt getting really all that better and my face was so gross.. i mean like DRY and idk...jus icky feeling. since i was almost out of dans bp i thought i would shop around n try something else. i have only used On The SPot for like... 5 days? Not sure i like it..i dont like that it isnt a gel. i think i am going to go back to Dans BP. i am almost out of the Aveeno Ultra Calming Moisturizer and i have been looking around for a good moisturizer. [i just hate spending $$ on these products and not finish them]. Someone told me to try the Aveeno Cleanser and i only used it like a week n wow..i mean..i dont like it lol. I dont know about Cetaphil...it doesnt feel like its really working..idk if thats good or not. just doesnt feel like its getting ALL the makeup.

I will have to try the Eucerin Redness Relief Soothing Cleanser, and then find a diff good moisturizer. i do have jojopa oil but a still like to use some moisturizer. any good moisturizers?? someone told me to try Neutrogena Healthy Skin Face Lotion, with SPF 15 Multivitamin Facial Treatment With Alpha Hydroxy.

thanks for all the advice!! well.. i was on the CSR [now DKR or something like that] for a lil over 3 months.. ugh i decided i didnt like it. my face wasnt getting really all that better and my face was so gross.. i mean like DRY and idk...jus icky feeling. since i was almost out of dans bp i thought i would shop around n try something else. i have only used On The SPot for like... 5 days? Not sure i like it..i dont like that it isnt a gel. i think i am going to go back to Dans BP. i am almost out of the Aveeno Ultra Calming Moisturizer and i have been looking around for a good moisturizer. . Someone told me to try the Aveeno Cleanser and i only used it like a week n wow..i mean..i dont like it lol. I dont know about Cetaphil...it doesnt feel like its really working..idk if thats good or not. just doesnt feel like its getting ALL the makeup.

I will have to try the Eucerin Redness Relief Soothing Cleanser, and then find a diff good moisturizer. i do have jojopa oil but a still like to use some moisturizer. any good moisturizers?? someone told me to try Neutrogena Healthy Skin Face Lotion, with SPF 15 Multivitamin Facial Treatment With Alpha Hydroxy.

Dove makes excellent moisturizers for both daytime and nighttime, and they're fairly inexpensive. The problem with the Neutrogena Healthy Skin SPF 15 moisturizers is that they don't contain broad-spectrum sun protection (provide against both UVA and UVB rays; sunscreens are only required to protect against the rays primarily responsible for burning which are UVB rays). According to the FDA, the only ingredients that provide adequate protection against UVA rays (which are linked to malignant melanoma and premature aging) are titanium dioxide, zinc oxide, mexoryl sx, avobenzone, and tinosorb. If your sunscreen doesn't contain at least one of those ingredients, you're not getting good protection against UVA rays. Dove's moisturizers with SPF 15 are broad-spectrum.

Another problem with the Neutrogena Healthy Skin moisturizer you mentioned is that it contains alpha hydroxy acids. I don't know the pH of this product so can't say if the alpha hydroxy acid actually acts as an exfoliant, but you should never use two exfoliants in conjuntion with each other, and you say you're going to be using the Paula's Choice BHA products.

Jojoba oil is nothing special; it's just an emollient non-volatile plant oil. It can work great at helping to prevent dryness and evaporation, but you'd get better results if you used it in conjunction with your moisturizer. Don't mix it with your sunscreen; if you use it during the daytime apply it underneath your sunscreen or else your sunscreen's effectiveness will be reduced.

I use Paula's Choice One Step Facial Cleanser and it works for me. Then again I've only used that facial cleaner so i can't really say how it compares to others.

I also use Skin Revealing Body Lotion with 10% Alpha Hydroxy Acid, Weightless Body Treatment With 2% Beta Hydroxy Acid, and Essential Moisturizing Sunscreen SPF 15. If jojoba oil doesn't mix well with screenscreen I guess i'll just have to apply it with TTO since the moisturizer and sunscreen is combined.