Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I'm in my early 30's and I have the worst acne of my LIFE! Right now I'm dealing w/ 2 HUGE whiteheads (biggest ever) plus 3 cysts that are about the size of a dime. I have blackheads around the T-zone and then ](*,) something just grrrreat, I developed them along my jaw the last 6mos.

I have been on Accutane, full course, twice. Lately I have not been on any topical or oral meds (as of 5-6yrs) but I started OrthoTriCyclenLo to help w/ the skin (yeah, right...now, it's worse) and I go to the dr. today and I...don't know what to do. I've done "the regimin". I've had microdermabrasion treatments, acne facials, LASER. I use BHA's, AHA's, Retin-A, BP...everything! My skin is never irritated/crusty/red... I just CANNOT get rid of my horrible complexion. I don't use make-up, I drink a ton of water, I don't eat dairy, I exercise...I am a textbook of what to do, only it's not doing anything!! Except making me go broke. If anyone has any suggestions or just wants to say 'HEY!! Me too!" I"d appreciate it. I feel like I'm at wits end!! [-o< 8-[ :-({|= sad.gifsad.gifsad.gif

I am in my 30's as well and did not start getting acne until I turned 25. I was fortuniate enough not to have it in my teen years, but almost wish I would have so that I could have dealt with it then and have been done with it by now. It has been a huge struggle trying all kinds of meds and cleansers (not to mention wasting countless dollars and time at the derms. office). I get the huge cyst's that hang on for what seems to be a life time. Recently I have started Bactrim (did not want accuntane) and that has kept the cyst's under much control. Unfortuniatlly this is just one of those things that you have to manage as there is no cure. Have you gone back to your Dr. for a perscription? Plexion works wonders at cyst's as well.

THANKS for your reply. [i have been dealing w/ this since teens...unfortunately].

No, I go today for possible Rx/prescription. I haven't heard of Plexion..

I'm fairly certain that whatever I ask for, he'll give me b/c he has NO clue what else to do either.

Isn't Bactrim a strong antibiotic?

Bactrim is the strongest before you get to the accutane level. I did not want accuntane since my acne is isolated to certain areas and comes and go's (still cyst's mind you). It was uncontrolbale for 7 years with injection after injection just to have them return again before the old scarring even healed. No antibiotic worked for, so Bactrim was the last resort. Everbody who has been on it loved it and stayed on it for years having almost no brake-outs. Plexion is a cleanser that my Dr. had told me is the strongest antibiotic cleanser available (sulfur based) and it really worked wonders just using it once a day to wash my face. If you do not have insurance it is expensive ($50.00 for 6 oz) but worth every penny. Like anything though, it will work for a few months until you build a tolerance to it. Good luck to you, I know all too well how you feel and what you are going through. It is the most depressing thing you can go through (in a superficial way) keep me posted on how it turns out for you after visiting your Dr.

I am 30yrs old and never had acne as a teenager but developed it in my late 20's. It got REALLY bad with pregnancy and left me with terrible scars. I too often feel very depressed. I wish I had it as a teen instead of an adult. At least when you are a teen people think it's just b/c you are young and going through changes. What is our excuse as an adult? I feel like a freak. All of my friends and family my age have perfectly clear skin...then there is me. Well, I guess I just wanted to tell you that you are not alone in this and if you ever need to talk I and lot of other people on this board understand.

Also, I am currently using Retin-a at night. Tazorac on active pimples. Benzoyl Peroxide wash at night about 2 hrs. before applying anything topical. In the morning I use Aveeno Clarifying scrub ( no medication, just the scrub...it is VERY gentle but gets off any dry skin), and the soy toner followed by Eucerin lotion (the one that doesn't clog the pores). Knocking on wood while I type this...my skin is looking better. No active pimples right now biggrin.gif/ , just a lot of old scars. sad.gif Oh, I am also taking Doxycyclin twice a day as of 2 weeks ago and I really think it has helped. Good Luck!

It might be one of the products you're using. I think your regime is a little too harsh. Or maybe you could be allergic to something that's in your common meal(s). Does your mom have the same problem? It could be hormones too. I'm a male, so i don't know about the birth control method. Is this what Blistic is? If not, then i'd recommend that - because your situation might be hormonal (which mine is). Otherwise, you can try seeing a new derm, maybe someone with a little more experience? Acne rosacea?

I know this probably doesn't help much, but you may have a different type of acne. And did the Accutane have any affect on you at all? Do you only breakout before your period? Or is it persistent - no matter what you do/eat/time of month you'll break out?

Pulled from www.about-acne.com

"Acne medicamentosa: Acne medicamentosa is caused by reactions to medicine or drugs. Women often experience acne medicamentosa when starting or ending birth control pills. Steroids and testosterone have also been implicated.

Acne rosacea: Acne rosacea is not true acne, but rather an inflammation of the face, neck or chest that results in red, bumpy, oily skin. Acne rosacea usually appears in people aged 30 to 60. It often begins as a short-term condition that can become chronic and cause facial scarring if not treated. Acne rosacea is often accompanied by acne vulgaris.

Using certain medications and drugs can cause acne breakouts: androgen therapy, barbiturates, testosterone and lithium all list acne as possible side effects. Users of illegal anabolic steroids can experience severe acne."

But-if it WAS the harshness of the routine, wouldn't I have some irritation, redness, or intial drying? I mean, anything out of the ordinary?

I eat very "clean"- b/c I'm a fitness freak. But I've always been so there's really nothing new in my lifestyle to account for this.

Yes, acne runs in the family but I'm the lucky one that has it the worst and the most persistant.

The one HUGE cyst on my chin, you guys, hurts SO bad that I think I"m gonna have to take some serious Advil & maybe icing for a few days. It's so big that I don't have to worry about making it worse by picking it or touching it b/c it's hurts too much to get near it. The other bumps are under the skin, non-red just fleshy colored and not white heads. They look like...clusters of little flea bites. ](*,)

ps-forgot to add-yes, the accutane worked GREAT; while I was on it. Twice.

pss-acne all thru the month un-related, it seems to female cycles... :-k

I know all too well how you are feeling right now (emotionally and aslo the pain associated with your cyst) I had a HUGE cyst on my chin about a month ago and when I went to my Dr. to have it injected it made it worse (twice as inflamed and turned rock hard) would not budge. Hung on for two weeks after that initial injection when I ended up going back for another one. It did shrink on the second one, but never really went away. A few days ago it came back YES AGAIN! These hurt sooo bad. I am so sorry that you are feeling so much pain with it, but I would go and get it injected now.

If you get it injected with cortisone, make sure your Dr. dilutes it or gives a small dose. I had a cyst injected over a month ago and it left a HUGE indentation on my chin...very noticable. I was better off with the cyst...at least that would have eventually gone away. Ask your Dr. about oral antibiotics. I hope it goes away soon, I know all too well how you are feeling. sad.gif

I am going to assume you have never been in to your Dr. for a cortozone injection. Though it is a little uncomfortable to have a needle go through your cyst, it will make you feel 100% better walking out of your Dr's office knowing that it will soon be gone (with in about 12 hours) and you watch it shrink with in a couple hours and the pain will go away too. The injection takes about two seconds and is so woth it. That does seem to be the only way to get rid of a cyst unless you want to wait out the three weeks it takes for it to some what go away. Good luck! I have been through this time and time again....

this may sound nasty but trully its not.....reading this thread made me smile...talk about relating to what your saying.

im 28, problem started around 25 - sicklingly (if there is such a word) perfect complexion till then.

i agree with wishing i had had it as a teen and had grown out of it as some do (i note that this does not apply to all on this thread)

i TOTALLY relate to you in hiding this weekend and u say your hubby will be ok with it but i have a question. how does he feel about it? do you cancel plans when you feel you just can face the world? do you not accept plans, so you dont have to cancel them?

i do and my hubby dont like it at all, he thinks im crazy when i get upset.

talk to me about pregnancy/kids - who has and how did it affect your acne?

heres hoping one day soon, we all wake up and be happy with what we see in the mirror day after day after day after day after day - you get the idea!!!

Hi booteek,

Sounds like your having a hard time just now, acne in your 30's is no fun!!!

You have been on accutane twice before so I guess you know that topicals will have little effect on the nodular and cystic acne you are experiencing. Is it a doc or a derm you're seeing? Most docs try hard but really they are limited to what they can do for you #-o Get back to your derm and lay it on thick, give them the whole sob story :-({|= . A good derm will either try you on a couple of courses of antibiotics or go for accutane straight away depending on your severity, past history etc. You do however have to get this ball rolling again, don't suffer unnecessarily.

Orally erymax, doxycycline(took longer to work) and minocin were all effective following accutane for me, topically i used zyneryt and sometimes zindaclin. With all antibiotics both orally and topically you have to rotate them regularly to prevent resistance building up in your skin bacteria. I did this often as i found resistance for me was fast.

After the gym or whatever it is you do is you skin worse the next day? Heavy sweating caused my skin to breakout. If it does then compromise by maybe going every second day and whatever you do stay out of that sauna [-X

We are all diferent but i hope this is of some use to you

take care

Hi booteek,

Sounds like your having a hard time just now, acne in your 30's is no fun!!!

You have been on accutane twice before so I guess you know that topicals will have little effect on the nodular and cystic acne you are experiencing. Is it a doc or a derm you're seeing? Most docs try hard but really they are limited to what they can do for you #-o Get back to your derm and lay it on thick, give them the whole sob story :-({|= . A good derm will either try you on a couple of courses of antibiotics or go for accutane straight away depending on your severity, past history etc. You do however have to get this ball rolling again, don't suffer unnecessarily.

Orally erymax, doxycycline(took longer to work) and minocin were all effective following accutane for me, topically i used zyneryt and sometimes zindaclin. With all antibiotics both orally and topically you have to rotate them regularly to prevent resistance building up in your skin bacteria. I did this often as i found resistance for me was fast.

After the gym or whatever it is you do is you skin worse the next day? Heavy sweating caused my skin to breakout. If it does then compromise by maybe going every second day and whatever you do stay out of that sauna [-X

We are all diferent but i hope this is of some use to you

take care

I'm 27 and still get acne sad.gif , even though I did Accutane. Never got it until senior year of high school but just minor, & then my skin went horrible in college, ruining my entire college life. Not as bad now, but very noticeable in a professional work environment when you're the only one who has it!

I started doing Beta peels which cleared me up as long as I did it every month. It gets all the junk out from your skin. You may want to get it done at a Derm.