Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
kanmi

Paranoid of breaking out

Ok so I HATE lotion. I can not stand to put it on my face, it drives me insane and makes me feel so incredibly dirty. But now it's the winter, and i'm on accutane, so i'm dying. I've been using the Clinique dramatically different moisturizing gel but now i'm paranoid i'm going to break out from it.

Is it possible to break out from using this stuff?

no, i don't think so, moisturizer doesn't break you out, plus your on accutane anyway.

In my experience, Clinique products are no good for acne prone skin. Most derms give a recommendation on what moisturizer to use while on Accutane, did yours not tell you?

Cetaphil is commonly recommended, and also CeraVe. My derm always recommended Moisturel.

Why not put a call in to your derms office Kanmi and ask which moisturizer your derm prefers?

Ok so I HATE lotion. I can not stand to put it on my face, it drives me insane and makes me feel so incredibly dirty. But now it's the winter, and i'm on accutane, so i'm dying. I've been using the Clinique dramatically different moisturizing gel but now i'm paranoid i'm going to break out from it.

Is it possible to break out from using this stuff?

I am using Clinique Dramatically Different Moisturizing Gel. It is hard for me to say whether or not your skin will react negatively to the product because I am using the gel and not the lotion and each person is unique but I can say it is one of the few I have tried that I feel comfortable using. I expected to stop using it quickly but I am sticking to it, but this is just my personal experience. One thing that seems positive about Clinique is you are likely to find products that are gentle because from my understanding, they test and re-test to ensure not one person they test on has an allergic reaction or irritation. I understand your worry about using any lotion or moisturizer - many can have a negative effect but try not to be overly worried because that in itself might affect your skin and you might mistake it for the product being wrong for you. Brandy's suggestion was a good one as well.

Good luck.

I know I'm so paranoid of breaking out as well. My skin is sooooo much better than it was just months ago I'm so very thankful for that because before I would have my forehead and cheeks covered in cystic acne. My skin has been cyst free and I've been so happy and really appreciating it but know what? I got my hair cut two days ago and got these side bangs that I like a lot. But my forehead is getting acne now only on the areas right where my bangs are, the other half of my forehead is 100% clear. It just makes me sad because my hair is washed daily and I dont put any product or hair spray in it yet my skin is so weird that it even breaks out with just hair lightly touching it. Why?Why can other people have hair all over their face, use any products and have clear skin? Its just so frustrating!

no, i don't think so, moisturizer doesn't break you out, plus your on accutane anyway.

Then why did I get a new zit today and I still have a big huge bump under my skin? :(

I only used it once today. Hopefully I won't break out from it.

I'm the same way, I hate the feel of lotion on my face. On top of that, I break out from most lotions, even the ones that's especially formulated for sensitive skin. I use Complex 15 andn it is so light and absorbent that I forget I have it on after 5 minutes. Also Complex 15 has helped me get clear, I strongly recommend trying it. And trust me, I am super picky about soap and lotion.

I have tried accutane in the past. it does amazing things to ur skin. I suggest u to use lotion thats very gentle especially with accutane maybe like cetaphil. I do not recommend clinique moisturizer because I think it can clog ur pores creationg more breakout. If u have sensitive skin do not use clinique because they have special chemicals and alcohol added to there products from wat ive tried in the past. Good luck with the treatment!

Guest Locked In Grace

Clinique products are shit, they're just rubbish marketed as classy skin care products. Get Cetaphil lotion. Really nourishing, doesn't break you out.

if you're afraid to break out...I would suggest trying aloe vera gel. Fruit of the earth makes a good one. I am VERY picky about lotions and I feel the same way when I put them on. I found a good one by neutrogena so I'm happy now.

Thank you everyone for the suggestions :D I have some of that FOTE aloe vera gel. I used it for a sunburn though over a year ago. So it's probably expired. I have Cetaphil lotion, but it isn't moisturizing enough. I've heard about Complex 15  in the past, so i'll look at reviews on drugstore.com. Thanks again.

i really like almays normal moisterizing lotion its light but rich and you can get it at the drugstore

Guest Locked In Grace

Actually, i can't believe i didn't mention it before. When my face was starting to get eczema from Accutane i got myself a product made by Ego named Egoderm, it's fantastic stuff and hasn't broken me out at all. Smells strange, stings a little on really dry skin, but it's awesome. Then, if need be, i add a little jojoba and cetaphil on top. Only of a night with the Egoderm though.

Actually, i can't believe i didn't mention it before. When my face was starting to get eczema from Accutane i got myself a product made by Ego named Egoderm, it's fantastic stuff and hasn't broken me out at all. Smells strange, stings a little on really dry skin, but it's awesome. Then, if need be, i add a little jojoba and cetaphil on top. Only of a night with the Egoderm though.

Afraid we don't have that product here in America, James. But still thank you for the suggestion.

So yeah, lotion always makes me break out. No matter what. I have come to this conclusion. I got two new zits, small ones, but the fact is I got them. I'm nearly entering my 6th month of accutane, and I haven't gotten any new zits in a while, the last time I got them was when I got my period. And that isn't due anytime soon so my zits couldn't be caused by that.

Lotion sucks.

Guest FearlessBunnyLove

The clinique gel never gave me any problems. Now I would touch the lotion version with a 10 foot pole.

I actually have problems using jojoba oil to moisturize.

At the moment I usae cetaphil cream since my skin is so dry. I'll probably switch back to the clinique one when the oil comes back.

Guest Locked In Grace

Afraid we don't have that product here in America, James. But still thank you for the suggestion.

So yeah, lotion always makes me break out. No matter what. I have come to this conclusion. I got two new zits, small ones, but the fact is I got them. I'm nearly entering my 6th month of accutane, and I haven't gotten any new zits in a while, the last time I got them was when I got my period. And that isn't due anytime soon so my zits couldn't be caused by that.

Lotion sucks.

Would you like me to post you some Jaymi?

Lotion sucks.

Post me some? Do you mean send me some?

Guest Locked In Grace

Yes, via the postal service.

Go ebaying for Proactiv's Green Tea Moisturizer. It's lotion of the GODS. My cheeks and neck were dry and peeling and scaly looking when I was using the 3 step system (I've been using it for a month now) but after just buying the Green Tea Moisturizer two days ago, the drying and peeling is very much GONE! I love it..! And it doesn't break me out.

I will never stray from this moisturizer... ::hugs and kisses it::

Yes, via the postal service.

Aww James :wub: You're just too sweet. But no, it's alright. I only have 10 days and one month left on the medicine. I think I can manage.. right now my face feels like it's on fire for some reason and I don't know why :( it doesn't look dry right now but it feels hot. 

Go ebaying for Proactiv's Green Tea Moisturizer. It's lotion of the GODS. My cheeks and neck were dry and peeling and scaly looking when I was using the 3 step system (I've been using it for a month now) but after just buying the Green Tea Moisturizer two days ago, the drying and peeling is very much GONE! I love it..! And it doesn't break me out.

These are the ingredients to the lotion:

Ingredients: water, glycerin, epigallicatechin gallate (EGCG), retinyl palmitate, iris florentina root extract, macadamia ternifolia seed (macadamia nut) oil, squalane, ethylhexyl palmitate, dimethicone, allantoin, sodium hyaluronate, butylene glycol, PPG-2 myristyl ether propionate, polyquaternium-11, zinc PCA, hydrogenated polydecene, caprylic/capric triglyceride, c12-15 lactate, sodium polyacrylate, trideceth-6, phenoxethanol, disodium EDTA, alcohol, ethylparaben, methylparaben, propylparaben, fragrance.

First off, dimethicone is commodogenic. Secondly, fragrance in a product is NOT good at all for acne-prone skin.

A green tea moisturizer does sound nice, but I would useAubrey'sorganicgreentealotionbeforeI usedthis.Thank you for the suggestion though.

These are the ingredients to the lotion:

Ingredients: water, glycerin, epigallicatechin gallate (EGCG), retinyl palmitate, iris florentina root extract, macadamia ternifolia seed (macadamia nut) oil, squalane, ethylhexyl palmitate, dimethicone, allantoin, sodium hyaluronate, butylene glycol, PPG-2 myristyl ether propionate, polyquaternium-11, zinc PCA, hydrogenated polydecene, caprylic/capric triglyceride, c12-15 lactate, sodium polyacrylate, trideceth-6, phenoxethanol, disodium EDTA, alcohol, ethylparaben, methylparaben, propylparaben, fragrance.

First off, dimethicone is commodogenic. Secondly, fragrance in a product is NOT good at all for acne-prone skin.

A green tea moisturizer does sound nice, but I would use�Aubrey's�organic�green�tea�lotion�before�I used�this.�Thank you for the suggestion though.

It also contains paraben and the catch all "fragrance", which usually causes problems with sensitve skin. I avoid anything that contains paraben because it clogs pores and promotes bacteria growth.

Try using Grapeseed Oil mixed in with Aloe Vera Gel. That works pretty good and may not break you out!