Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Guest blackheadben

I have decided to stop treating my acne

Guest blackheadben

I have decided to stop trying to treat my acne. Nothing is working. Not Proactiv, not the DKR, not neutrogena, nothing, zip, zippo, nada, zlich. Nothing is working. I will be washing my face twice a day with a gentle face wash and moisturizing with a light moisturizer w/ SPF 15 twice a day. I will no longer use any scrubs, acne targeted creams, BHA, AHA, or masks. Once my St. Ives scrub runs out, I will not buy more. Once my healthy skin face lotion for night runs out, I will not buy more. No more, I just can't take it. It is too much to bear to wait and wait and wait for results that will never come. I have had acne since I was 12. Only for 2 yrs was my face clear on proactiv. Well, my face decided to become allergic or something severly to proactiv so I had to stop using it. I tried the CSR (now the DKR). Again, it worked for awhile but the bp suddenly decided to give my giant, itchy plaques after months of improvement. It is genuinelly heart breaking to keep doing this. I give up. Wash, moisturize, that is it from now on. I just can't keep being so disappointed. It is so difficult to handle at times.

I agree with you! I too an tired of trying everything and having it work for a while and then nothing. I have had some form of acne or another since my teens and I am in my late 40's. While my acne is not bad, I just hate the fact that I still break out at my age and mostly on my neck, a tiny bit on my face but it seems to settle on my neck. Now on top of that I have lines, creases and puffiness around my eyes and it seems that my skin is getting very sensitive to things that never used to bother it! What a load of crap when I hear "your not getting older, your getting better!" That sucks canal water big time!!!! I give up too!

Sorry you've had no luck. A break from your regimen may help - sometimes all our products just irritate our skin too much and make it worse.

Once my St. Ives scrub runs out, I will not buy more.

Guest blackheadben

Sorry you've had no luck. A break from your regimen may help - sometimes all our products just irritate our skin too much and make it worse.

I wish i lived nearby, i'd steal it from you and throw it away! Don't wait until it runs out, stop using it now. This scrub is so pleasant to use but it's ultimately bad for acne prone skin. The apricot pits are very sharp and they produce tiny cuts which inflame and irritate the skin. Manual exfolitation of this type is not the best for acne-prone skin.

So - how bad is your acne, what type? Have you been to a derm for prescription meds? There's a good topical combo that works for most acne - a gentle topical retinoid like Differin combined with something like Duac which is a gentle BP/topical antibiotic combo. You'd have to slowly ease into the retinoid (that's very important to avoid irritation).

I know, you don't want to even think about that for awhile. And i think that may be a good course of action - see how your acne really is when you treat it gently and don't do anything to aggravate it. But if you decide that you're ready to try treatment again, consider the above.

I use the gentle scrub BTW.

It is kinda bad, kinda not. I get these big hard zits that aren't quite nodules or cyst. Just like big papules. No, never been to the derm; my mom thinks proactiv cures everything. "hello, mom? Was proactiv frying your face or mine?"

Hey, maybe your skin will clear up! My husband doesn't use any wash on his face at all - he only just rinses it in the shower with warm water, and he has really good skin. I wear makeup, so I'm afraid to try his regimen, LOL. My esthetician told me not to use St. Ives scrub because it can make a mess of your face, so maybe when you elimate it your skin will get better?? Best of luck to you :angel:

Guest blackheadben

Hey, maybe your skin will clear up! My husband doesn't use any wash on his face at all - he only just rinses it in the shower with warm water, and he has really good skin. I wear makeup, so I'm afraid to try his regimen, LOL. My esthetician told me not to use St. Ives scrub because it can make a mess of your face, so maybe when you elimate it your skin will get better?? Best of luck to you :angel:

I wish I didn't have to wash my face, but I wear makeup too. No luck there!

i think that's cool, ben

i dont take care of my skin anymore, but im clear.. i only have a few spots here and there tho

Even the "gentle" scrub is still sharp microscopically.

It is kinda bad, kinda not. I get these big hard zits that aren't quite nodules or cyst. Just like big papules. No, never been to the derm; my mom thinks proactiv cures everything. "hello, mom? Was proactiv frying your face or mine?"

Yeh - just let it rest a bit and see if it gets worse or better after a few months. If it gets worse, insist on a derm (or at least a GP) appointment.

Guest blackheadben

okay, cool. I know that right now my skin isn't bad enough for it, but I would kill for accutane. Or at least buy it from ebay ;)

okay, cool. I know that right now my skin isn't bad enough for it, but I would kill for accutane. Or at least buy it from ebay ;)

just go to the derm, you haven't tried any retinoids or antibiotics yet either. and if those don't work you will probably be prescribed accutane.

I have decided to stop trying to treat my acne. Nothing is working. Not Proactiv, not the DKR, not neutrogena, nothing, zip, zippo, nada, zlich. Nothing is working. I will be washing my face twice a day with a gentle face wash and moisturizing with a light moisturizer w/ SPF 15 twice a day. I will no longer use any scrubs, acne targeted creams, BHA, AHA, or masks. Once my St. Ives scrub runs out, I will not buy more. Once my healthy skin face lotion for night runs out, I will not buy more. No more, I just can't take it. It is too much to bear to wait and wait and wait for results that will never come. I have had acne since I was 12. Only for 2 yrs was my face clear on proactiv. Well, my face decided to become allergic or something severly to proactiv so I had to stop using it. I tried the CSR (now the DKR). Again, it worked for awhile but the bp suddenly decided to give my giant, itchy plaques after months of improvement. It is genuinelly heart breaking to keep doing this. I give up. Wash, moisturize, that is it from now on. I just can't keep being so disappointed. It is so difficult to handle at times.

I have a review of Proactiv in my blog. It is good, but there are better solutions.

Guest blackheadben

I still give a fuck, I just can't deal with it anymore.

I still give a fuck, I just can't deal with it anymore.

have you seen a derm yet, or only tried OTC products. for a lot of people OTC products don't work and they need something stronger.

I had similar thoughts and was about to give up until my sis in law gave me a product containing clindamycin to try. I had the attitude of :"ok, no harm to try, since almost everything I try is not working". Wow.. I got cleared! Have been getting compliments on how much improvement.

I stopped treating my face and I've gone through some bad weeks with breakouts of small zits. At some points people have stared at my zits in a shameless manner. I got to the point of not caring too much. I still care, but I can live with it. My acne seems to be clearing up based on dietary restrictions so if I can get to a point with a diet I can live with and no other treatment, and my face is reasonably clear I'll be OK.

I still wonder about that theory that if you don't treat acne it will burn itself out as all the pores in your face are systematically destroyed...but if you keep treating it you could have it into old age.

Guest molly_jean_comments

Im sorry! I know it is very frustrating! Its like whats the point of trying stuff if none of them work?! It just seems like a waste of time. I know exactly what you mean. Hopefully the Yasmin birthcontrol pills will work for me again like they did in the past and I wont have to try other pills and topicals from my dermatologist

My brother cleared up his acne (or claims, at least, 'cause I've never seen a spot on his face) by not bothering to use chemical products on his face. He just washed with water and that was it.

I'm too wimpy to try that.

Guest blackheadben

My brother cleared up his acne (or claims, at least, 'cause I've never seen a spot on his face) by not bothering to use chemical products on his face. He just washed with water and that was it.

I'm too wimpy to try that.

i am too wimpy to go comletey absolutely product free, too. I am still washing with face wash and moisturizing, but NO MORE ACNE PRODUCTS.

I would advise the paleo diet man.

If you can handle it financially and have the discipline to only eat certain foods I think you should try that. It's like a last resort for acne, since it takes $ and a lot of discipline, but if you still give a fuck you should do that.

Check out Dan's Paleo Diet log, he has been off the regimen for a looong time now, with no breakouts whatsoever (perfect skin).

I'm not saying that if it works for Dan it works for everyone, but based on the research by Dr. Cordian I'm pretty sure it works for everyone.

If I can't find another way of dealing with it, I'm probably gonna do the diet myself too.

I know I've felt like that MANY times before, but you know what? You can never give up.

Seriously, tomorrow you'll feel differently.

Anyhow, you could always try what I did to cure my acne, I would recommend it but I'm highly biased.

Good luck. Stay away from that St Ives scrub. It actually causes damage and irritation. The exfoliant (apricot kernals) are very sharp.

I wish i lived nearby, i'd steal it from you and throw it away! Don't wait until it runs out, stop using it now. This scrub is so pleasant to use but it's ultimately bad for acne prone skin. The apricot pits are very sharp and they produce tiny cuts which inflame and irritate the skin. Manual exfolitation of this type is not the best for acne-prone skin.

So - how bad is your acne, what type? Have you been to a derm for prescription meds? There's a good topical combo that works for most acne - a gentle topical retinoid like Differin combined with something like Duac which is a gentle BP/topical antibiotic combo. You'd have to slowly ease into the retinoid (that's very important to avoid irritation).

I know, you don't want to even think about that for awhile. And i think that may be a good course of action - see how your acne really is when you treat it gently and don't do anything to aggravate it. But if you decide that you're ready to try treatment again, consider the above.

gentle or not I would stay away from the st ives line.