Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
gttraveling

Reducing Large Pores

Experts, what are your thoughts?

======================= this is from a Q&A from a local newspaper: ===============

Question: Speaking of large pores - I have rosacea, cystic acne and seborrhic dermatitis, along with large pores which is probably due to the rosacea. Anything you can recommend to reduce the craters? Thanks!

Rachel Herschenfeld (Dr): Pores seem to be a hot topic today. There is a topical cream that actually shows some activitiy in shrinking pores, but if your skin is sensitive you may not tolerate it. It is called Tazorac or Avage (same thing, different packaging) and it requires a prescription. In terms of treating your acne and pores- you may want to consider Levulan/PDL: a combination of Levulan to sensitize your skin, then laser treatment with a VBeam. This is a very effective acne treatment, and it also improves skin texture and the appearance of pores. See a dermatologist!

i have rosacea & S.Dermatitis & it's awful when it happens. It could cause me to go into a rage. I go into my room and play my music so loud just to destroy. If you have the bucks get GEMINI LASER. It costs about $500/per and you MUST get 5 or 6 treaments. Also, get ACLOVATE cream Its a cortizone cream so be careful but if you get an attack it clears it up usually within 15 minutes.

I was prescribed Retin-A (similar to taz) for my scars. I have scarred pores and some shallow rolling scars. I am 5 months into it and the Retin-A is reducing the scarring. It is a slow treatment and I am constantly trying to reduce the appearance of the peeling I tend to get from it but it is working. I think it is going to take a least a year to get over 50% improvement. I also have two icepicks on my cheek and over the last week they have become shallow too (strange, they were so deep and then suddenly shallow). I don't know if it would work for or against the other skin conditions you listed but in my experience it works for scarred and large pores.

I was prescribed Retin-A (similar to taz) for my scars. I have scarred pores and some shallow rolling scars. I am 5 months into it and the Retin-A is reducing the scarring. It is a slow treatment and I am constantly trying to reduce the appearance of the peeling I tend to get from it but it is working. I think it is going to take a least a year to get over 50% improvement. I also have two icepicks on my cheek and over the last week they have become shallow too (strange, they were so deep and then suddenly shallow). I don't know if it would work for or against the other skin conditions you listed but in my experience it works for scarred and large pores.

i have had both tazorac and retin-A....the face looks a lot better while using it..but it seems to return back when it is discontinued.it did nothing for my acne.

The only thing that has reduced the size of my enlarged pores is Intense Pulsed Light treatments. I had 3 last spring and the pores reduced in size and have not gone back to their previous size. Some are still enlarged but it did help. It also reduced discoloration from broken vessels and hyperpigmentation.