Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
WeatherChange

higher dosage = shorter term?

im on 20mg accu daily.

the derm prescribed 40mg daily, but i decided to try it out with a lower dose initially.

i would obviously like to see an improvement/finish the course as quickly as possible, so would being on 40mg sort the problem quicker necessarily?

i realise that there is an 'overall dosage' that you're supposed to consume by the end of the course, so i know the course would technically be over qicker on a higher dosage.. but would i see an improvement faster?

i'll up it to 40mg after the first month if so.

40mg wouldn't really change the time you'll be on it.... if you were going from say, 40 to 80 mg, you might cut your time on accutane a bit shorter.

depending what your derm decides, you'll probably be on it for 6 months.

40mg wouldn't really change the time you'll be on it.... if you were going from say, 40 to 80 mg, you might cut your time on accutane a bit shorter.

well.. surely it would.

because it's a cumulative dose..

so the full dosage would be consumed/completed in half the time..

or am i mistaken here.

Guest fireda502

well.. surely it would.

or am i mistaken here.

Recommended dose is 120-125mg/kg. So say if you weigh 140 lbs, that would be about 64 kg. 125 x 64 = 8000mg total amount of accutane needed. Now, at 20mg a day, that would take about 13 months(20*30=600, 8000/600=13.333). At 40 mg a day, it would take about 6 1/2 to 7 months(40*30=1200, 8000/1200=6.666). So yeah, pretty much cut in half.

well.. surely it would.

or am i mistaken here.

Recommended dose is 120-125mg/kg. So say if you weigh 140 lbs, that would be about 64 kg. 125 x 64 = 8000mg total amount of accutane needed. Now, at 20mg a day, that would take about 13 months(20*30=600, 8000/600=13.333). At 40 mg a day, it would take about 6 1/2 to 7 months(40*30=1200, 8000/1200=6.666). So yeah, pretty much cut in half.

hm, i weigh about 57kg.

so with your figures that would mean just under 6 months on 40mg a day.

definitley sounds preferable to a years course.

i was prescribed 4 boxes of 60x20mg tablets initially.

40mg isn't too high, im sure the side effects wouldnt be that different.

im on 20mg accu daily.

the derm prescribed 40mg daily, but i decided to try it out with a lower dose initially.

i would obviously like to see an improvement/finish the course as quickly as possible, so would being on 40mg sort the problem quicker necessarily?

i realise that there is an 'overall dosage' that you're supposed to consume by the end of the course, so i know the course would technically be over qicker on a higher dosage.. but would i see an improvement faster?

My doctor recently upped my dosage from 40 to 60mg. I asked her if it would shorten my course. She said no, but that I would stay clear for longer between courses if I have to do more than one.

I also read that a higher dosage has a greater chance of "curing" the acne.

Platinum

I also read that a higher dosage has a greater chance of "curing" the acne.

yes, apparently acne treated with dosage x mg of accutane < body mass / dayis much more likely to come back.