Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Swinglifeaway

Questions about Differin...

Alright, i'm only in my early teens so please be patient if I don't understand somethings, i'm not the brightest crayon in the box. Alright, I have mild acne, I never get those huge throbbing painful zits, actually i'm not sure if what I get on my face could be considered as zits. I only really have problems with my cheeks. They tend to get these, I guess you could call em, white heads. Some may start out small little unnoticable bumps, of course i can notice them, and them some get bigger. Turning into midly large humps with no head, they may also be sore the first day I get them. And I do admit I squeezed quite a few times. Finally this week I went to my first derm. appointment and she prescribed me differin. I just want to know what to expect and how long it will take to clear my face up.

First off, Kiwi.... Welcome to the Board! :razz::clap:

I use differin and I really like it. It's a topical retinoid which speeds up the cell turnover rate on your face...which means your face sheds it's skin cells faster, which means they dont die and clog your pores leading to infection, which equals zits! Differin basically slowly heals the zits on your face while preventing new ones from coming up. You may notice that your zits get worse before they get better, which is absolutely normal with differin. So don't be sad if it happens after 2 weeks, because it only goes uphill from there! God bless!

Differin is the most gentle of the prescription retinoids (and technically it's not really a retinoid at all since it's not a Vitamin A derivative, but it has similar effects and is condered part of that group therapeutically). It's as effective as some of the stronger retinoids, but produces less irritation.

The key to using a topical retinoid is to start slow, and derms never seem to explain that. Start by using it every other day (or every third day if you have sensitive skin) and gradually work your way up to daily use. Any time your skin seems irritated - skip a day or two until it feels normal again. Eventually you'll be able to tolerate daily usage, but if you move too fast you'll be a peely red mess in no time. Expect that it will probably cause some purging (as the poster above said, it will probably get worse before it gets better) and try to ride it out. If your skin is dry and peeling, use a non comedogenic moisturizer (like Purpose or Cetaphil lotion) in the morning. Differin will increase sun sensitivity, so you may want to incorporate a sunscreen (or moisturizer/sunscreen combo) into your daily regimen.

I'm going to move this to the topical retinoids forum to try to get you some more responses.

Hi Kiwi

I've been using Differin for 4 weeks now and I am still purging. My skin seems less red and some of the very small bumps have disappeared. I have a log called Experience with Differin and will periodically update what is happening in a weekly basis. Good Luck!

Alright, i'm only in my early teens so please be patient if I don't understand somethings, i'm not the brightest crayon in the box. Alright, I have mild acne, I never get those huge throbbing painful zits, actually i'm not sure if what I get on my face could be considered as zits. I only really have problems with my cheeks. They tend to get these, I guess you could call em, white heads. Some may start out small little unnoticable bumps, of course i can notice them, and them some get bigger. Turning into midly large humps with no head, they may also be sore the first day I get them. And I do admit I squeezed quite a few times. Finally this week I went to my first derm. appointment and she prescribed me differin. I just want to know what to expect and how long it will take to clear my face up.

Don't be so hard on yourself! We're here to help :)