Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
LoveGreenSmoothies

MSM for scars

This supplement is supposed to be good for healing scars. Has anyone tried it or heard about it?

I bought it, but I'm afraid to take it--I worry about ingesting something I know so little about, lol.

Supposedly it is just sulfur which your body produces naturally, and is NOT toxic.

~Emma

Hi Emma,

I've done alot of reading on the MSM (organic sulphur) and it's supposed to be wonderful for skin and collagen. Supposedly your body is made of a large percentage of sulphur; it's also a good detoxing agent. When I first started taking it, I got headaches which I was told are from your body detoxing--they did go away after awhile.

I take like 8 capsules a day, never hurt me. It's hard to tell what works and what doesn't when you take as many vitamins/supplements as I do.

I read that you have to consistently take this(and probably any other supplement) for a while to see results.

I guess it makes sense since nothing happens overnight--even people that take retin-A for wrinkles don't see results for six months.

I guess I'm just hopeful smile.gif

Guest Scorpioness

I used to take MSM... in powder form. I was taking it for skin conditions as well as fibromialgia. I couldn't stand the taste. It really helped my fibromialgia... if there was a change in my skin it was too subtle to mark. I now take a malic acid and magnesium supplement for fibromialgia and it works amazing! The malic acid and magnesium combo is for 'soft tissue support' so maybe that works for the skin, too.

Peace,

Scorp

I've been taking 6,000 mg. of MSM for about 9 or 10 months now and, like everyone else, I haven't noticed any appreciable difference in my scars. A health expert named Rod Burrison who has his own radio talk show and product line (ROEX) swears that MSM, or dietary sulfur, rebuilds collagen and will correct scars. He even frequently uses an anecdote that it worked on one of the employees in his office who completely cured her acne scars through the use of MSM alone, but I guess it's possible that's just another example of the old "marketing spin" at work. I wish companies wouldn't make claims like this...they are toying with people's most desperate hopes and dreams and I think it's a very cruel thing to do.

I have been taking it for 3 months. I take it with vitamin c in powder form. I think it's worth having post procedure when your skin is still healing and forming but whether or not it will help just by itself i doubt it.

I have a stupid question. I'm not good at measurements at all, so I wanted to be sure I was right about this--there are 1000 mg in a gram, right?