Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MomWhoSews

Sent Light Back

Hi all,

I am now considering the table lamps.

When trying to figure out which lamps have been sent back and for what reasons I found myself getting confused because of the overall volume of info on this website.

So....if you've sent your lamp back can you give us a brief description of type? And why?. Thanks.

Guest ~Wolfy~

Matter of interest, how long had she had the pen for?

I sent back the Acnelamp triple head desktop lamp. I used it quite a lot and after 5 weeks I got bad irritation and an attack of whiteheads which I am still recovering from. At that point I tried scaling back on my use of it but it didn't help. The lamp cost $600 and has very intense light compared to the lights that have been successfully tested in the documented results.

There's no way to tell what my result would have been if I had used the lamp less from the beginning but my rationale is that if I want to test that theory in the future I will do it with a cheaper lamp - one that better matches the lamps other people have used with good results.

Matter of interest, how long had she had the pen for?

Hi,

We've had the pen for a month and have been very happy with the results. The breakout is from a trip to the Spa and all the lotions they use. We are keeping the pen for hard to reach areas..

We've probably settled on the 'Beauty Skin' because it has an incremented timer right on the front. The only problem is that they supposedly don't ship outside the USA. But if you read the website closer they are refering the different voltages etc. So When I contact them today I will see if they send to Canada since we are the same voltage/cycles.

Thanks for all the work you've done on this subject,

MWS

Guest ~Wolfy~

Ok, I've run the numbers on the pen, based on the data from this website: http://www.acnelamp.com/comparison.php?lang=eng

i.e. their competitors, but the data seems to be good at face value atleast, and I can work with the figures. Provided the data isn't actually fraudulent I think I can draw some tentative conclusions.

If the data is correct, then the dermastyle is very underpowered.

From the CNN video I saw, the treated area is about an inch across. The intensity of the light is such that you would reach the Dr. Chu's study dose of light in 13.4 minutes, if you didn't move it around. That's quite a long time; given the size of the area treated. You would need to repeat this perhaps 3 times to cover your chin.

The red light is quite underpowered, you would need to use that for 24 minutes.

The only doubt in my mind is that the intensity data comes from their competitor. Intensity of light varies depending on how far from the pen the sensor they used is (and I didn't notice them specify it anywhere), so for example, so if they measured it at 6 inches (you're supposed to use it closer than that) that would give them an artificially low reading; I'm not accusing acnelamp of anything, but I'm giving an example of why that matters.

There is my spreadsheet calculations here: http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=pnN...wiOJ3eOsr2VkVQw

Update: the spreadsheet is flawed for all except the dermastyle since they're not intended to be used in the way that the light intensity was measured. They place the sensor next to the lamp; I'm going to look into correcting it.

Guest ~Wolfy~

Hi Wolfy,

Thanks for the info. I've been stewing on it since yesterday because it makes me wonder if the intensity of a table lamp would be to strong from my daughter. I'm wondering if 2 minutes once every 3 or 4 days might be more appropriate. I don't want her to experience overdosing.

I think that that would be inappropriate; she wouldn't clear; she'd breakout.

The only person that has reported overdosing was Ronin; I worked out his lights are 4x more intense than normal. I found a study using similar lights that he had- they got good results on a twice weekly schedule.

I notice the Verilux Happy Skin appears to have a lens over the tubes. Do you think this lessens the effectiveness of other models that don't?

No, I don't think so. It should make it more even, probably works better if anything.

Ok, I'll read the directions and follow them before I fiddle with time and frequency. ;)

It was hard to choose between the brands because I think they all work well. In the end I chose the Beauty Skin model because I liked the curve, incremented timer, looks and informative website. My dislike was the scarey list of fees that they give for non-american buyers- shipping/handling by UPS, brokerage fees, duty, insurance, GST, PST, the exchange, etc.... Other companies cover the cost of the Shipping and handling even if it's outside the US. So....we'll see how much this baby costs by the time it gets to my door. :shock:

Take care for now.

MWS

Just a quick note

I received my beauty skin acne lamp a few days ago and so far im impressed but beware the timer seems a little inaccurate. I had a feeling it was perhaps going abit quick turns out I was rite set the timer on the beauty skin to 5 mins and timed with a stop watch came out at 3:39 the result seems to vary each time but it does seem to be abit of an inexpensive timer. I've taken to setting the beauty skin to the longest time setting and just timing 15 mins myself much more reliable! It might just be mines got a dodgy timer but I can live with it think i'll probably end up modifying it to a standard on off switch in the end as the timer is a little noisy too.

Hope this helps

P.S. I am keeping photos of the progress weekly and will post the results succesful or otherwise

Hi James,

Thanks for the info on the timer - definately a disappointment. I just assumed there would be a choice to use the timer and that it would be timed correcly - silly me. :rolleyes:

M W S

I just had a weird result with the Beauty Skin timer tonight. I set it on 15 mins, and I swear it stopped after 5 minutes. I put it back to 15 mins and it still seemed a bit faster - about 10 mins or so. Very annoying.

Can I just set it to the highest setting and after the 15 mins is up (timed by watch) manually move the dial to zero? Or should I just unplug the cord? I don't want to damage anything about spending so much money on it. I wish they had spent a little extra on a decent timer, or included an on-off switch. (I know for safety reasons they might not do that though.)

I'm a bit disappointed, but I don't want to send it all the way back. This doesn't seem an unusual problem.

Guest ~Wolfy~
Can I just set it to the highest setting and after the 15 mins is up (timed by watch) manually move the dial to zero? Or should I just unplug the cord? I don't want to damage anything about spending so much money on it. I wish they had spent a little extra on a decent timer, or included an on-off switch. (I know for safety reasons they might not do that though.)

Hi Wolfy,

So yesterday I timed it against a digital timer and it was about 1 minute off. Tonight I adjusted the dial a little under half an inch above the 15 min mark and pretty much got it to go the full 15 minutes. I just put a little round sticker on the unit to know where to turn the dial. I don't think one can expect perfection on a manual timer like this, but these little things just get to me. (Must work on that.)

I think my 10 minute observation was inaccurate - time can be subjective, and I wasn't timing it againat another clock. The 5 min thing, who knows? Maybe I didn't twist the dial where I thought I did, as I was wearing the dark glasses. Maybe I lost consciousness for 10 minutes. ;D I'll keep testing it for a while to see if the new position remains accurate.

Yes, an on/off switch would be great. Unfortunately I don't know anybody who might help me. I did use a soldering iron in shop class many years ago, but I don't want to risk voiding my warranty. ;)

Wolfy, your knowledge is a great asset to this forum. Thanks.

I have a confession to make. I just realized why the timer only went for 5 mins....

I SET IT TO 5 MINS!

Being an idiot, I turned the timer by looking at the bottom 10 minute part of the dial and turning it to 15. :wall:

I don't know what I was thinking. Be thankful that I'll never work at a nuclear reactor plant.

Let the mocking commence. :redface:

I have a confession to make. I just realized why the timer only went for 5 mins....

I SET IT TO 5 MINS!

Being an idiot, I turned the timer by looking at the bottom 10 minute part of the dial and turning it to 15. :wall:

I don't know what I was thinking. Be thankful that I'll never work at a nuclear reactor plant.

Let the mocking commence. :redface:

Interestingly, the manufacture date on my light is also August 2004. I haven't checked how accurate my timer is.

If anybody else would like to time theres, that'd be great. This thread is being watched because I e-mailed a U.S. distributor and they've been in contact with Dr. Kern. Try the 15 minutes if you can. Also mention the manufacture date.

Hi all,

We seem to have a number of people using light therapy. If you were not happy with the result, stopped, or sent it back, can you give a brief description of pros/cons so newbies can have a quick reference?

Stats:

Using for over 6 months:

Type of acne: cystic

Cons: does not completly clear acne but does bring it to a managable level. Must be used every day or spots come back within 4-5 days. Had to buy new goggles because ones that came with it broke. Not transportable on vacations- needs backup treatment.

Pros: non-chemical. Easy to use - not messy or complicated. Now part of daily routine. Financially it is less expensive in long run as I don't have to buy something every month to go with it. Freedom - don't feel tied to the drugstore. Nolonger experiencing large whiteheads. When breakout occurs- usually just red bumps - light kills the p-acne before it reaches surface. Red bumps easily concealed with spot make-up but only use it if redness visible enough to be embarassing.

Realities: No longer expect it to completely take away all acne as even the studies do not garuntee 100% clearing. Believe pores are still clogging regardless of light therefore use Proactiv 'Renewing Cleanser' once/few days and 'Renewing Lotion' (BP) as needed approximaely once/10 days depending on how skin looks.

Sometimes use DermaNew Microdermabrasion kit for variety or as needed.

Stay way from moisturizers as they are definately clogging pores - particularly around the nose.

Overall impression: happy with the purchase - it is the main source of acne treatment. Believe it helps greatly- but not cures - also believe no other product completely cures cystic acne either. Do I recommed it? Yes.

MWS