Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
happymommy

Study abroad program

Hey all! Sorry this post is a bit off subject, but i'm interested in doing a study abroad program, but im the single mom of an 18 month old. I think something like this would be a great experience for my daughter if i could bring her too. Has anyone heard of anything like this? I know theres people from everywhere on this forum, so any info would be appreciated! Thanks!

Hey all! Sorry this post is a bit off subject, but i'm interested in doing a study abroad program, but im the single mom of an 18 month old. I think something like this would be a great experience for my daughter if i could bring her too. Has anyone heard of anything like this? I know theres people from everywhere on this forum, so any info would be appreciated! Thanks!

Hello happy mommy, not sure how old you are but if you are under 30, Australia would be a good bet as they are happy to give work/study visas to under 30s. Check out their immigration website http://www.immi.gov.au/

hope that helps

Hi!

I normally lurk, but I just had to respond to this...

I studied abroad in Germany (originally from the US).

Lizabeth was 4 when we went over there and we were there for about 9 months.

I found a great program, run through my school. It wasn't a typical 'all sorts of American students take a class together in another country' program. I was the only American in the school, and they provided me with a lot of freedom. If I had gone through a typical study abroad program, it would have been a lot harder for me to have Liz with me.

Part of the program required me to have a two week homestay with a family. I did my homestay the first two weeks I was there (before the school program started), and Liz was *not* with me for that portion. I used those two weeks to get comfortable with the city we were in, and to find a place for us to live (I didn't want her in student housing).

I arrived in Germany having no clue what I was going to do with Liz while I was in class. I was lucky enough to find a stay-at-home mom who was more than happy to watch Liz during the day.

It was scary heading into the unknown, but definitely worth it. I was very thankful to have those two weeks to sort stuff out. My mom brought Liz over after two weeks, and then she and my dad did some vacationing.

(there were some definite passport and "you have my permission to take my kid out of the country" issues heading through immigration though)

I went through an insane amount of student loans, but it was *so* worth it. (I say that even now when I'm paying them back ;) )

Lizabeth is now in 2nd grade, and speaks German fluently (she goes to a German Immersion school)

It was a great experience all around - I definitely recommend you go for it!

I might say that you should wait a year or two - a toddler would be hard to manage during all the transition. But, if you are at the end of your school career, and it is now or never - do it.

good luck!

Rebecca

Thanks bailey39! Australia would be awesome, i didn't think of there. Im 25, but i might have to wait til grad school, because I just found out that I have to do an internship :(

Rebecca, I can't believe you took a 9 month old!!! How did you pay for rent and stuff while you were there? The student loans? Did you work at all? Did you pay the lady who watched your daughter? Sorry for all the questions. I don't know if I could talk my parents into the whole thing. Probably so. Like I said, I might have to wait until grad school, but at least I'm a social work major, so there's options of going abroad for grad school or even to work later, id imagine. I think that it's so amazingly cool that you took your daughter. Even though they're really young, I think it would set them up to be more open minded and well rounded adults. Us too!!! Thanks!

Rebecca, I can't believe you took a 9 month old!!! How did you pay for rent and stuff while you were there? The student loans? Did you work at all? Did you pay the lady who watched your daughter? Sorry for all the questions. I don't know if I could talk my parents into the whole thing. Probably so. Like I said, I might have to wait until grad school, but at least I'm a social work major, so there's options of going abroad for grad school or even to work later, id imagine. I think that it's so amazingly cool that you took your daughter. Even though they're really young, I think it would set them up to be more open minded and well rounded adults. Us too!!! Thanks!

Hi! lol, no, I didn't take a 9 month old - I wouldn't want that stress!!! ;)

I did mis-type in my first post though... Lizabeth was 3 when we got there.

As far as paying for everything...I planned ahead. While I was still in the US, I started paying all of my bills ahead (such as my car payment). The 'at home' bills don't stop just because you are gone.

I also scrimped and saved best I could. My school offered a 'child care grant' to be used to pay childcare expenses while you are in school. I (supposedly) used that money to pay childcare while we were in Germany. In between what I saved, grants, and the student loans I took out, I think it came to about 20,000 for the 9 months. You could do it on a lot less though - I just wanted the 'financial freedom' to enjoy being in Europe.

Once I knew what school I was going to, I asked the school to put me in touch with another student who was willing to help me get settled. She was absolutely great. As soon as I got there, she had a list of apartments for me to check out. She was also the one who helped me find the woman who watched Lizabeth.

The stay-at-home mom had a daughter Liz's age, and the girls got along great. The mom was thrilled to have her daughter exposed to English (the mom spoke it pretty well). I was shocked when she said she 'charged' 10 euros a day - It was an awesome deal.

I can't encourage you enough to 'go for it'. PM me if you want to chat some more about it :)

Rebecca