Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
bailey39

To pop or not to pop (yet another post on this)

Hi,

There has been so much discussion lately regarding whether you should or shouldn't pop a zit and apologies for yet another post on the topic. But I have just conducted a reasonably scientific like experiment and thought I would just share it.

I was always a terrible picker, just couldn't leave them alone, would always have a go at them before they were ready and suffered with a much worse zit as a result. Not to be encouraged :hand: I have got much better lately and do leave them alone, well most of the time. :D

3 days ago, I got 3 little suckers sprout up a couple of cms above my jaw line and they were all within about 3 cm of each other. For some reason they came up together (guessing they would have got lonely if they came up alone LOL). But it did give me the opportunity to compare and contrast different approaches as they were very similar zits (came up as red lumps initially), in the same part of my face, experiencing the same CSR regime (BP and spot treated with salicylic acid) so the only thing I changed was 2 of them I picked one of them I didn't.

I was very good, I waited until they were absolutely ready to go (I mean they were begging for it), used tissue and just a tiny amount of pressure released a huge amount of gunk until they bled. I then treated them as normal with BP and SA and then left them alone (this is important, do not keep going). The two I squeezed, have really gone down and can barely be the seen, the one I left alone, is going down but much less quickly. I am pretty amazed at the difference between them.

This is my experience and I am not advocating picking as a rule BUT if don't carefully, at the right time, to the right type of zits, it appears to be beneficial.

so wut happened to the one u left alone? is it still there? did it leave a red mark more or less evident than the other 2?

thx

well the one I left alone is still there, but bigger than the other two. It looks more angry (redder) and harder. It doesn't have a head now, as the whitehead disappeared so I won't touch it. The other two have shrunk down, are drying out and have faded faster. No scarring as I didn't mess with them too much other than just squeeze out the gunk.

We'll see what happens ....

You gotta pop them :P

I am beginning to agree with you, providing of course you do it carefully and not TOO SOON.

The two I squeezed have almost disappeared, very faint red marks (dead easy to cover with coverup), the one I left alone, well it is still there, raised, red and with no sign of either getting a head again or going down. Bummer. :evil:

Yes of course not too soon.What happens with me if i dig deep to pop one to early is that i get red marks for a good week.If you let it come to head and pop it , it scabs , looks nasty for a day but then dissapears quick ;)

Yes of course not too soon.What happens with me if i dig deep to pop one to early is that i get red marks for a good week.If you let it come to head and pop it , it scabs , looks nasty for a day but then dissapears quick ;)

Absolutely. I used to try and pop too soon and ended up making a complete mess of it, but these 2 i forced myself to just leave them alone, until it was so obvious they needed popping, did it really easily and as you said they have disappeared really quickly. The other one that also came to a head but I resisted (in the interests of scientific experiment :sick: ) and just left it, the head went down but the zit itself still remains and I can feel it is still active. I wish I had popped that too, but then I wouldn't have been able to compare and contrasts results. The things you do .... :D

But, I think I am swung in the popping carefully camp now.

Definetely....pop it.I hate that feeling of a bump under the skin.Once a zit is popped it hurts and swells the area around for abit yes but a few hours later or a day than bump feeling is gone and the healing can begin seeing that the plug is out...and BLASTED with BP in my case :P

I like your experiment! LOL. I've always been a popper and probably always will be. You're right though...the key is to know which ones you can pop and to know when to stop so that you don't make it worse. I've had really bad experiences popping early...a couple of weeks ago, there was a zit on my chin and after a couple of days, a little bit of the white head was coming up...I got impatient and tried to pop it...well guess what, the whole area swelled up to a size of a freaking quarter (in width). i had to get a cortizone injection. but then there are some that are SOOOOO ready that i use a little bit of pressure and they come out and are gone within 1-2 days (kinda like the one i have on my forehead that i popped this morning). and also when you pop, you need to make sure you get all of the gunk out or else it'll just start building again and you end up with another white head! :evil:

Why use SA as a spot treatment? you obviously don't know what SA does. SA has no anti-bacterial features. Ur sopposed to put a thin layer over your entire face because it helps to shed skin cells quicker so your pores don't get clogged easier. Tbh why put all these chemicals on your face? Its just disrupting your skins natural procedures. I only use a cleanser on my face and nothing else then do a hot water dip (btw this brings the pus to the surface better). Your skin takes care of itself don't bombard it with all these pointless chemicals that just damage your skin and make things worse.