Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ylem

I want a dermabrasion

I can't even believe this, but when I got into a friends car at around 4:30 PM and poulled down the passenger's side mirror I swear I saw SO many scars I swear I had never seen before. It was like my entire skin had an undulating appearance, when I used to think my right side was relatively mild in scarring. For some reason, afternoon sunlight in your car with a mirror exposed can be so brutal, and my face looked so greasy to boot! Now I know I am gonna need a one of those Dr Y dermabrasions for sure :( I have the WORST skin! So many pockmarks, so many holes :( AND, I am white as a ghost, so my redmarks stay for like a year everytime I get a whitehead, which is like everyday! I hate being so white, so ruddy and so pitted, oily, broken out. I swear I would kill for a nice, clear, even olive complexion (e.g. Ben Affleck). AND, my back breaks out HORRIBLY!! My whole back is ruddy and red just like my face :( I have got to have the worst skin from anyone around here! Ugh, horrible skin!

awww... *hug* i feel your pain.

there are 2 situations i hate the afternoon sun- when i look in a car mirror and when in a bright bathroom.

it's awful.

you don't think your skin is that bad and then ughhhhhhh "is this how i look to other people?" HATE it

there are 2 situations i hate the afternoon sun- when i look in a car mirror and when in a bright bathroom.

it's awful.

you don't think your skin is that bad and then ughhhhhhh "is this how i look to other people?" HATE it

And the worst part about it all is that I Know I will have to deal with all of this for life to some degree! Al;ready I am hearing stories of people spending 20k plus without any acceptable improvement. What do I do?

Plus, I see that u r Asian. U naturally have a more yellow/darker skin than I do that doesn't look sickly ghostly white. I am just a pastey white, ruddy, freckley, all-over pitted (all down v of my back and face) big Pimple! I HATE looking like a ghost! It is so hard for me to live my life pleasantly. Everyday I struggle, every minute of every hour with no end. I will have this for life.

i guess if it makes you feel any better, my skin is actually pretty pale naturally but because i'm asian, i get awful PIH (red/brown/grey spots) that plague me for years after.

can you use some foundation or tanner?

Don't get dermabrasion!! It will take a very very very long time (up to a year possibly) before your skin looks normal again after getting dermabrasion. Dermabrasion is a very invasive and risky procedure.

You could ask a qualified doctor to inject the scars in the meantime with collagen to hold you over. Even though you say you are pale, it's not a good idea to sunbathe if you have scars because sun exposure will prevent the scars from plumping up with collagen. Sun exposure will also make red marks more red. You should ask your doctor about light chemical peels, microdermabrasion (NOT the same thing as dermabrasion), tazorac 0.1% gel to help fade marks and scars some, glycolic acid products to help fade marks and scars some, and you should consider lasers such as fraxel or smoothbeam. That's probably your best bet for scarring.

I have noticed the same thing about afternoon lighting, it makes the scars appear worse. But they can improve, you just don't want to make them worse by getting risky procedures like dermabrasion, excision, or CO2 laser resurfacing.

LOL never look at your face in the car mirror. It makes everyone look bad.

I don't think Jennifer Lopez looks bad in that light. She has the prettiest skin!

it's awful.

And the worst part about it all is that I Know I will have to deal with all of this for life to some degree! Al;ready I am hearing stories of people spending 20k plus without any acceptable improvement. What do I do?

Plus, I see that u r Asian. U naturally have a more yellow/darker skin than I do that doesn't look sickly ghostly white. I am just a pastey white, ruddy, freckley, all-over pitted (all down v of my back and face) big Pimple! I HATE looking like a ghost! It is so hard for me to live my life pleasantly. Everyday I struggle, every minute of every hour with no end. I will have this for life.

Ylem I know it's easier said then done but seriously u can't think that way ya know? Don't ever give up hope or think that you r going to have to live w/ these scars forever if u can't picture or even hope for improvement u will never acheive it. I know it seems damn near impossible sometimes to find hope but u have to it's the only thing we got. I often wonder if I'm kidding myself or setting myself up for major dissappointment about improving my scars but we can't think like that. Hey there's lots of diff. procedures out there so if one fails u try, and try, and try, you gotta remember everyday that passes more technology is being developed blah, blah, blah, and eventually we'll all have a cure for these scars. I hope this helps . :(

Don't get dermabrasion!! It will take a very very very long time (up to a year possibly) before your skin looks normal again after getting dermabrasion. Dermabrasion is a very invasive and risky procedure.

You could ask a qualified doctor to inject the scars in the meantime with collagen to hold you over. Even though you say you are pale, it's not a good idea to sunbathe if you have scars because sun exposure will prevent the scars from plumping up with collagen. Sun exposure will also make red marks more red. You should ask your doctor about light chemical peels, microdermabrasion (NOT the same thing as dermabrasion), tazorac 0.1% gel to help fade marks and scars some, glycolic acid products to help fade marks and scars some, and you should consider lasers such as fraxel or smoothbeam. That's probably your best bet for scarring.

I have noticed the same thing about afternoon lighting, it makes the scars appear worse. But they can improve, you just don't want to make them worse by getting risky procedures like dermabrasion, excision, or CO2 laser resurfacing.

I've tried all of the above, including dermabrasion. But, I only had a spot area treated, and I know what you mean about the long healing time. I had it done with a wire brush and the "blood red" raw, itchy sensation took forever to go away completely. Unfortunately, after all of my years of research, I've determined that invasive dermabrasion is the best for any sort of permanent improvement.

^^I know there has been a lot of negative talk about dermabrasion, but I had it done, and I honestly healed in 8 weeks. I went running every second night at 10-11pm and covered 5 miles, and it definitely helped clear the redness. Good luck to all.

I've tried all of the above, including dermabrasion. But, I only had a spot area treated, and I know what you mean about the long healing time. I had it done with a wire brush and the "blood red" raw, itchy sensation took forever to go away completely. Unfortunately, after all of my years of research, I've determined that invasive dermabrasion is the best for any sort of permanent improvement.

Not! I had one at age 18, did nothing and it fucked up more. Grooves and such from the spinner......

And then I had to fix that.

Look into Fraxel, and there are developements coming along all the time. There is even a newer Fraxel on the way.

P.S. I got rid of 99.5% of mine, and car mirrors still make me look like shit. I think they distort features or something. Just dont look, see how you look in normal lighting and go from there.

I just don't think fraxel is any better than needling the skin. You are just using a burst of light instead of the tip of a needle. Dermabrasion is more invasive but if you are a poor healer or have thin skin already it's not a good idea.

I had my cheeks done about 15 yrs ago. I healed fast and still have some pigment like grooves but he didn't go deep on me and I was really happy. I didn't really have many scars but opted to get my cheeks (around 75% of cheeks) since i did have a few shallow scars. I had one DEEP, icepick which turned into a saucer. While the rest of my cheeks looked baby soft smooth, I kept thinking it was still healing but it stayed like a saucer and is now like a boxcar. Not too deep but the edges are defined and it is actually 1/8 of an inch long at the longest point. So if you have icepicks, maybe not the way to go, but rolling scars.... hmm. I just had a good experience and was lucky with the surgeon. In Louisville, KY, I have searched everywhere and cannot find or remember his name. But he was older then, 15 yrs ago and is possibly retired by now. I WOULD not get this done without someone you personally know recommending one to you since procedure here IS everything. But I had a good experience. I am a woman though, and could wear makeup after a week to disquise the pinkness. I had to wear it heavier to. Physicians formula; le velvet film. May not be so easy for a man to get away with heavy makeup ... ya know. Have you tried the fraxel?? Sounds promising.

I also had a good result from my dermabrasion. I'm planning to go for a second one next year. It has left me with slight demarcation lines in some places under my jawbone, but I'd rather that than scars on my cheeks, plus they still seem to be fading even after one year and ten months.

Car mirrors are the worst. I just stop looking in them because it depresses the crap out of me. The bad light adds to it.