Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dallasguy75

i'm going in for an excision...

The scar is a 2mm round, chicken-pox scar that is somewhat deep. It's located on my right cheek, close to my nose. It really bothers me, especially when I'm talking to a girl up close. I had dermabrasion on it about 4 years ago which was a big mistake because it actually made it look worse. The depression became a bit smaller but the area around the hole is now slightly raised and discolored. I also tried a filler on it about a year ago but wasnt satisfied with the results. So now I am sceduled to go in for an excision on Dec. 18th by a plastic surgeon. He's going to use a scalpal. He says that I will be left with a visible line, but it shouldnt be depressed. Now I've read through many of the posts on this forum so I know that people have had both positive and negative results having these types of scars excised. I feel like at this point I'm willing to take the chance unless someone can convince me otherwise. I plan on keeping you updated on the procedure with before and after pics. If anybody would like to offer any input, I would much appreciate it. If anybody thinks it would be a bad idea to go ahead with this procedure, please let me know. I would hate to end up with a worse scar.

*UPDATE*: Read my newest topic posted on Dec. 28th, 2007 to hear the full story on this.

My only advice is to make sure you have a good doctor. I think that is the biggest determining factor in how an excision will turn out. Have you seen any pictures of excisions he has done?

Also, some members here have said they tend to turn out better, not end up as depressed, when the doctor uses an inside stitch along with the outer stitches.

does anyone have a link to how the line scar will look after the excision? ive been trying to find a pic for this for a while but cant get any.I plan on excision myself.Good luck with your excision.

I had 3 exisions. 2 were succesful and 1 sunk after a few months. The derm made an under the skin stitch on 2 that were successful (along with an outside stitch). He didn't put an under the skin stitch on the other because he thought it wouldn't need it because it was so small. I am very happy with the results despite one of the exisions failing.

I strongly suggest you request an under the skin stitch on your exision no matter what size it is.

thanks guys, i really appreciate it. Pip, I was wondering... how big were each of your 3 scars before the excision. Also, the scar that you said turned out depressed... would you say this scar looks worse now or does it still look somewhat better? My surgeon didnt mention anything about an inside stitch so i'll have to ask... he might always use them for all i know.

I had my excision done last week for a chicken pox scar,, my surgeon used inside and outside stitches... after removing the stitches, the scar is much better than what it used to be... but i still have redness around the scar... i ended up with a very very slightly indented linear line.. i can't tell much , i need to wait for few more days for complete healing and i will keep posted ....

Make sure ur surgeon has experience with this kind of procedure..

goog luck...

thanks guys, i really appreciate it. Pip, I was wondering... how big were each of your 3 scars before the excision. Also, the scar that you said turned out depressed... would you say this scar looks worse now or does it still look somewhat better? My surgeon didnt mention anything about an inside stitch so i'll have to ask... he might always use them for all i know.

The size of my scars? They were chicken pox marks, so pretty big.

The depressed scar looks better then before but it is noticeable under certain lighting and creases like a wayward dimple when I smile.

The type of filler I used was some type of temporary colligen, can't remember the brand. It was very expensive and the improvement was 20% at best. The effect also started to wear off after 1 or 2 months. So yeah, that wasnt the solution I was looking for.

People I got exision done a few days ago, and here is something you MUST CONSIDER!!!

Stiches, sure they hold your skin together, sure you need to get them, but a good doctor will probably recomend the use of this new stuff called dermabond. Dermabond is skin glue, not as strong as stiches but great for inside stiches and outer ones as they can dissolve in the skin and then fall off easily along with the scab. The doctor couldn't use dermabond as outside stiches on every one of my chicken pox scars, so he put in some normal stiches, but get this.

Insted of waiting for 5 days he removed the stiches after 2 days and put some dermabond on top. Why you ask? Because stiches can lead to more severe scaring, they can grow into your skin, and leave indentations. That is why removing them as soon as possible is key to having less scaring. My stiches just ame out a day ago, and I had dermabond along with some skin tape stuff put on insted. I looks good, there is a skab, but the would is completly flat, said the doctor. In a week I will be able to tell what it will look like, but the dermabond really redused indentations and improved flatness so far. I really recomend that you ask your plastic surgent about it.

to ALL MEMBER here :

do you think excision worth for acne scar ? does it really make major improvement ?

because 2 weeks again I want to do some excisions . I am really afraid if my result will be worse than before.

and is it really true that we have to tell the derm about inside stitches when do excison ?

my derm who wants to do excision , he usually do hair transplantation, so i think he seems reputable to do the excision ....

Any suggestion for me ?

My excisions improved the scars but some of the deeper areas where fat was lost, continued to show some indention. In those cases, a filler is needed.

Overall, it made an improvement in the appearence and did not make the scars look worse.

My only advice is to make sure you have a good doctor. I think that is the biggest determining factor in how an excision will turn out. Have you seen any pictures of excisions he has done?

Also, some members here have said they tend to turn out better, not end up as depressed, when the doctor uses an inside stitch along with the outer stitches.

everyone heals so different. i had 5 done and all were made worse. If i could go backand do it again I wouldnt.

The scar is a 2mm round, chicken-pox scar that is somewhat deep. It's located on my right cheek, close to my nose. It really bothers me, especially when I'm talking to a girl up close. I had dermabrasion on it about 4 years ago which was a big mistake because it actually made it look worse. The depression became a bit smaller but the area around the hole is now slightly raised and discolored. I also tried a filler on it about a year ago but wasnt satisfied with the results. So now I am sceduled to go in for an excision on Dec. 18th by a plastic surgeon. He's going to use a scalpal. He says that I will be left with a visible line, but it shouldnt be depressed. Now I've read through many of the posts on this forum so I know that people have had both positive and negative results having these types of scars excised. I feel like at this point I'm willing to take the chance unless someone can convince me otherwise. I plan on keeping you updated on the procedure with before and after pics. If anybody would like to offer any input, I would much appreciate it. If anybody thinks it would be a bad idea to go ahead with this procedure, please let me know. I would hate to end up with a worse scar.

punch grafts ruined my face. I would have been better off doing fraxel laser.

everyone heals so different. i had 5 done and all were made worse. If i could go backand do it again I wouldnt.

julsfor : what kind of worse did you get ? Is it worse than before ? is it really horrible ?

would you like to define 'worse' result to us ? thanks

People I got exision done a few days ago, and here is something you MUST CONSIDER!!!

Stiches, sure they hold your skin together, sure you need to get them, but a good doctor will probably recomend the use of this new stuff called dermabond. Dermabond is skin glue, not as strong as stiches but great for inside stiches and outer ones as they can dissolve in the skin and then fall off easily along with the scab. The doctor couldn't use dermabond as outside stiches on every one of my chicken pox scars, so he put in some normal stiches, but get this.

Insted of waiting for 5 days he removed the stiches after 2 days and put some dermabond on top. Why you ask? Because stiches can lead to more severe scaring, they can grow into your skin, and leave indentations. That is why removing them as soon as possible is key to having less scaring. My stiches just ame out a day ago, and I had dermabond along with some skin tape stuff put on insted. I looks good, there is a skab, but the would is completly flat, said the doctor. In a week I will be able to tell what it will look like, but the dermabond really redused indentations and improved flatness so far. I really recomend that you ask your plastic surgent about it.

THAT's an intresting info!!! Thanks! Could you please tell me your country\city\name of doc? I'd really appreciate it (you can use pm if you like). Keep us updated, and if possible take photos. Thank you again!

Alessia- I would like to know the name of your doc too. Could you please PM me his/her name as well? Thank you..

..the few docs in my area are clueless (or "play dumb" really well) to Dermabond. I just dont understand. I heard about Dermabond years ago but the docs havent?..hard to believe.. it's the same as crazy glue.

Alessia- I would like to know the name of your doc too. Could you please PM me his/her name as well? Thank you..

..the few docs in my area are clueless (or "play dumb" really well) to Dermabond. I just dont understand. I heard about Dermabond years ago but the docs havent?..hard to believe.. it's the same as crazy glue.

after reading alessia's post, i asked about dermabond with excisions to a doctor i visited yesterday. at first he wasn't positive as to what it was so i mentioned it was a glue and he said he's had issues with infection with it. however, i got the impression he wasn't talking of dermabond specifically based on how he answered. would be curious about how prevalent infection is with this. that being said, i'm still very interested in this.

The ingredient 2-octylcyanoacrylate is already used in liquid bandages by Band-Aid. The advantage of a dermal glue as I see it is that if reapplied it might give some extended support to the wound surface, (ie longer than the usual 5 days for surface stitches) without leaving stitch marks (similar to taping). But I expect subcutaneous sutures are still needed as the primary resistance to wound tension. I read somewhere that wounds achieve maximum tensile strength around 10 weeks....

Who was the doctor who did your excision? That sounds like a very good idea.