Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
yelhsa1127

doc says no to generic!?!

i'm using generic and honestly as long as i moisturize i feel like i'm not on even accutane (ok ok claravis but it's the same) at all. it's working wonders everyone's telling me how great my face looks. i have no oil. i wash my hair (therefore cut down on the amount of time spent styling it) less often...it's not gross it's amazing. my back has NOTHING on it at all. i'm very very happy w/ the results. i'm blessed to have very minimal side effects.

if you're worried about the specific chemical make up of the different brands check it out. that type of stuff is online. when i got prescribed my birth control it was the generic form and so we looked it up online to make sure it was ok. it turns out that many things like this are actually even made by the same ppl just the brand name is taken off so that it make it significantly cheaper. we learned about it in personal finance. they do it w/ other things too. my teacher was actually in a sugar refinery one time and saw them switch the bags from the "highest quality sugar bag" (he wouldn't tell us what brand it was) to the generic winn dixie bag. it was in one of the lectures on saving money. saving money is very good when you're getting the same product.

I went to the dermo. yesterday and started my waiting month for accutane. I would like to take the generic form of accutane because it is so much cheaper, but my doc said that he STRONGLY reccomends the name brand accutane. He says that the name brand absorbs better and they see better results with it. Has anyone else heard this?

Your doctor's personal / professional experience may have indeed led him/her to truely believe certain brands are better than others. Remember, the number of patients that any given doctor sees is a miniscule portion of all those that are out there, so trends he sees are statistically insignificant.

I will also say that doctors are people. In spite of their training and best intentions, they could just have a bias towards brand names and therefore see patterns where they either don't really exist or are statistically insignificant.

You need to trust your doctor, but I think you should check out these two web sites and decide for yourself:

http://www.fda.gov/cder/consumerinfo/gener...a.htm#strong-as

http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art...rticlekey=46204

http://www.gphaonline.org/AM/Template.cfm?Section=Home

the only difference between brand name accutane and its generic is the price. i always get the generic brand of any drug if it's available.

Me too. I haven't been put on Accutane yet, but I'm hoping to and considering I won't have insurance for the first month *shudder* I'm definitely getting the generic.

the only difference between brand name accutane and its generic is the price. i always get the generic brand of any drug if it's available.

Me too. I haven't been put on Accutane yet, but I'm hoping to and considering I won't have insurance for the first month *shudder* I'm definitely getting the generic.

i did some googling and i found some estimate retail prices of the brand name and the generic accutane from walgreens .

Accutane 30 capsules of 20mg ~ $450.00 USD :evil:

Claravis (generic) 30 capsules of 20mg ~ $350.00 USD :wacko:

Amnesteem (generic) 30 capsules of 20mg ~ $250.00 USD :blink:

now i don't feel so bad that my health insurance drug prices are going up next year... up from $5 to $10 for 30-day scripts.

EDIT: i found out how much the retail is for my drug, Amnesteem. $290.05.

Off topic cause I did tane so long ago.

But the pills for my heart (no I am not that old) just have a problem there, umm the Generic did not work as well. Impossible, they said but I have a heart rate monitor, and I am right there.

Probably how your body assimulates them, I suppose. Some bodies don't like some ingredients. Or Pill casings.