Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
answerme

supplement and depression

is there a supplement or natural remedy that can effectively help with depression?

supplements that help with depression are:

Vitamin C: support the adrenal tasks and support the convertion of tryptophan into serotonin

doses to 500 to 4000 mg. It goes by a bowel tolerance ... if you're not having side effects add more mg to a base of 500 as soon as you have side effecs like stomach distress cut back to the tolerated amount

B Vitamins: Niacin is especially useful for the production of neurohormones

do not take more than 50 mg per day

Zinc: recover nervous tissues

Do not take more than 25 mg per day

But the best supplement against depression is "potatoes"

If you eat a small boiled potato before going to bed without proteic fat and maybe just a little fat like butter, you help with the convertion of tryptophan you've consumed during the day into serotonin. Since amino acids compete among themselves if you create an insulinic environment just before bedtime you will redicted all the amino acids to the muscles except for tryptophan which will be free to cross the brain barrier

If you start eating a small boiled potato at night you'll see your dreams will be more vivid; this is a sign of increase serotonin synthesis

This also means that you need a good tryptophan intake during the day for this to work

Just make sure to consume enough protein (which doesn't means pounds of meats but small amount of meat/fish and legumes, nuts, eggs.

You may be helped into this by 5-HTP supplements

5 hydroxytryptophan is an intermediate product of the metabolism of tryptophan

Do not take more than 300 mg per day

These 4 supplements plus a potato at night are the best supplements I know effective against depression

i think i can get those from my kitchen. thanks! :razz:

Danny©, is bee pollen just fine? i dont think i have niacin.

EDIT: no need to answer the question. i think bee pollen is highly beneficial:

What is Bee Pollen?

As the bees collect nectar from the flowers, they also gather pollen by rubbing inside the bloom. Pollen comes from every type of flower on earth. Throughout history, bee pollen has been used as a food. The Chinese, Egyptians, ancient Romans, and the Anglo-Saxons, among many others, regarded bee pollen to be very beneficial to health.

Chemical Composition of Bee Pollen (per 100 parts)

from "Bee Pollen, Royal Jelly, Propolis and Honey", by Rita Elkins, M.A.

Amino Acids

arginine 4.7 parts

histidine 1.5 parts

isoleucine 4.7 parts

leucine 5.6 parts

methionine 1.7 parts

phenylaline 3.5 parts

threonine 4.6 parts

tryptophan 1.6 parts

valine 6.0 parts

glutamic acid 9.1 parts

Vitamins (per 1,000 milligrams of Bee Pollen)

Thiamine (vitamin B-1) 9.2mg

Riboflavin (vitamin B-3) 18.50mg

Niacinamide (vitamin B-3) 200mg

Pyridoxine (vitamin B-6) 5mg

Pantothenic acid (vitamin B-5) 30-5-mg

Folic acid 3.64-6.8mg

Lactoflavin

Vitamin A (carotenoids) .5-.9mg

Vitamin C 7-15mg

Vitamin E Trace

Minerals (per 1,000 milligrams of Bee Pollen)

Potassium 600 mg

Other Minerals

magnesium 1%-12%

calcium 1%-15%

copper .05%-.08%

iron .01%-.30%

silica 2%-10%

phosphorus 1%-20%

sulfur 1%

chlorine 1%

manganese 1.4%

Bee Pollen also contains 17 percent of rutin (vitamin P).

Hormones

* Gonadotropic and Estrogenic

* HGH (human growth hormone factor)

Zinc: recover nervous tissues

Do not take more than 25 mg per day

I take 50mg a day at age 14 (a month away from 15) is this bad?

ive been takin 50mg of zinc (zinc oxide chelate) everday too. but today i missed my bee pollen, zinc/calcium/magnesium and lemon water so...maybe that contributed to this instability im experiencing?

Yeah both bee pollen and royal jelly are beneficial

Usually many people can't tolerate 50 grams of zinc and they have adverse affect

If you have tolerated that amount so far without any adverse effect go on without fear

Well, I'm surprised that nobody (on this HOLISTIC forum especially) has mentioned about Pantothenic Acid (B5) specifically. Vitamin B5 is a precursor of coenzymes that are part of important chemical reactions in the body necessary for the production of energy from food. It helps balance and control our hormones and glands (metabolic, sebaseus, thyroid, etc, etc, etc) By "controlling" your hormones and many body functions it helps control stress and depression.

Dosage: it's kind of controversial sometimes. Some people suggest higher dosages (2 to 12 grams a day in divided doses, especially for acne and rosacea) But you have to be very careful. For depression it's recomended up to 3 grams (in divided doses) with food as it may irritate if taken on empty stomach.

Well, I'm surprised that nobody (on this HOLISTIC forum especially) has mentioned about Pantothenic Acid (B5) specifically. Vitamin B5 is a precursor of coenzymes that are part of important chemical reactions in the body necessary for the production of energy from food. It helps balance and control our hormones and glands (metabolic, sebaseus, thyroid, etc, etc, etc) By "controlling" your hormones and many body functions it helps control stress and depression.

That's why I mentioned the B vitamins. All B vitamins are involved in the production of neurohormones, endocrinological control and metabolism of food

It's better to take a multi B vitamins rather than each bottle of pills for each B vitamin as they're all useful

Fish oil is the most important supplement regarding depression, from reading your signature, i would recomend getting a better one, you can get ones containg 20-30x times the ammount of DHA, EPA than the one you currently take.

That's why I mentioned the B vitamins. All B vitamins are involved in the production of neurohormones, endocrinological control and metabolism of food

It's better to take a multi B vitamins rather than each bottle of pills for each B vitamin as they're all useful

The B-complex is important, but unfortunately the FDA limits the amount of folic acid they can contain. More folic acid has been very helpful to me. Folic acid is very safe and, unlike the antidepressants, has a minimal side-effect profile. It is also beneficial for long term health because it is involved in reducing homocysteine. I have actually stopped taking an SSRI (escitalopram) and replaced it with folic acid.

Fish oil is the most important supplement regarding depression, from reading your signature, i would recomend getting a better one, you can get ones containg 20-30x times the ammount of DHA, EPA than the one you currently take.

Good point; I forgot to mention that I take 1000mg of EPA, which seems to help, although it hasn't been as good as the folic acid.

5-HTP would be closest to the pharmaceutical SSRIs in mechanism of action, although I wouldn't feel comfortable taking it or recommending it to a friend. There is a theoretical case for increased levels of serotonin in the bloodstream, which will damage the heart. I would personally prefer a serotonin-selective SSRI such as the one I was taking, escitalopram.

I have also tried SAMe and found that it made my mood a lot worse, almost manic depressive. If you want to try SAMe, it is fairly expensive, although creatine will increase levels by sparing some SAMe from being used to produce creatine. A decent dose to try would be 5-6g of monohydrate in the morning.

5-HTP would be closest to the pharmaceutical SSRIs in mechanism of action, although I wouldn't feel comfortable taking it or recommending it to a friend. There is a theoretical case for increased levels of serotonin in the bloodstream, which will damage the heart. I would personally prefer a serotonin-selective SSRI such as the one I was taking, escitalopram.

I have also tried SAMe and found that it made my mood a lot worse, almost manic depressive. If you want to try SAMe, it is fairly expensive, although creatine will increase levels by sparing some SAMe from being used to produce creatine. A decent dose to try would be 5-6g of monohydrate in the morning.

i dont think i can afford any of those and im actually worried about the side-effects of drugs.

20-30x?!! i need a new brand then! thanks!

20-30x?!! i need a new brand then! thanks!

Yeah, the amount of fish oil you're taking, if that's it in your signature, is very low.