Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tense

Question about accutane initial breakout.

Hi, was curious about the initial breakout accutane causes. Is it the same as when you begin other medications where you just break out for a while, or does accutane have a more severe breakout?

Also, I have been doing glycolic peels for about.....2 and a half months, and for the first 4-6 weeks of that I was getting an 'initial breakout'. Would this decrease the severity or completely take away one from accutane?

Thanks a lot.

People tend to break out very differently from accutane. Some people don't get an initial breakout at all, but it seems like most do. I am on week 2 of accutane, and have definitely broken out much worse than ever before on any medication etc. I had 4 huge cysts on my chin this week which has never happened before.

But hopefully it will all have been worth it in the end smile.gif

Don't worry. Your breakout is normal. I know it's difficult to get worse and not know if what your doing is going to make it even worse, but hang in there. Accutane is attacking your sebaceous glands and they are attempting to fight back by producing more oil, but they will lose. FYI I took accutane 8 years ago and from what I remember my skin really didn't start to clear until about 6 weeks, so be patient.