Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Kierstabelle

What Brands of Make-up are the BEST?

I am trying to find good make-up that covers well, but won't clog my pores or irritate my skin worse. I recently went to try Coverblend, but the girl at Bon Ton told me it wasn't a good choice because it can actually make my skin worse!

So I am wondering if you all can give me a listing of good brands to try, and where I can look for them. I live in New York State, US.

Thanks!

Coverblend doesn't seem to aggravate my acne at all. The gentle AHA's in it actually seem to help with the acne (w/out drying my skin). It's the best foundation I have ever used. I'd suggest trying it. Have the girl make you over with it early in the day, and see how your skin looks at the end of the day. They also make a nice blemish gel that agrees with my skin (helps with the acne, doesn't dry the rest of my skin).

I like philosophy's complete me mineral make up. Great coverage and not irritating - for me.

I like Aromaleigh's blush, eyeshadows and lipsticks. This is another mineral line. It's great but I couldn't get the coverage with her foundation that I get with philosophy's. (AL doesn't use bismuth oxide because it can be irritating to some people's skin...philosophy does use it. It makes the product go one smooth and cover a tad better. That's the only difference that I have noticed.)

philosophy is available at dept stores and @ drugstore.com

AL is available only through aromaleigh.com

I use Revlon Colorstay foundation and ultima II blush. Both are oil-free and noncomediogenic and also I have been using both for YEARS and they have not given me any breakouts.

Kierstabelle: In my opinion, there really is no BEST brands of makeup, only what works best for each person....

Lately I have been using Laura Mercier oil-free and I like the coverage. In the past I have used MAC Studio Fix

with no problems. I have also used Jane Iredale, but I found that it made my skin very oily. None of the products I've mentioned has broken me out.

You can find Laura Mercier in department stores such as Macy's and Nordstrom, you can find MAC standalone stores in malls and also Nordstrom. Not sure what stores you could find Jane Iredale in, but you could order it online. Hope that helped.

Thank you so much for your replies. You have given me a lot of different brands to look into. Here's hoping! smile.gif

I used to use Revlon Colorstay in high school (the coverage was great, I have some pictures where you probably can't even tell that had acne. The only problems I can remember having with it were that I had to use a lot and continually throughout the day to maintain covereage, and sometimes putting on so much felt like too much.

I tried dermablend in high school, but it felt more like I was putting on a mask then make-up. I recently went to the Bon Ton out Rochester way (NY) to find out about coverblend but the people at the counter told me it could actually aggravate my acne and it was meant only for acne scars.

There is a Macy's around here that sells MAC, so I am thinking of checking that out.

Do most of you mix your products? Concealer from this co., foundation from that, etc.??

MAC studio fix really made me break-out. And it's expensive too, $25 dollars CANADIAN. Meh, I think there are other solutions that are probably much less-expensive and offer the same coverage.

:-k I think it's fine to mix brands...provided you aren't using any medicated make-up that might interfere with each other.

I really like Lancome's foundations, although they can be a bit pricey. I'm using Revlon Colorstay right now and love it. In addition, I use L'oreal loose powder which has a nice consistency.

I just posted this on another discussion, but I have to give a plug for Paula Begoun's "Don't Go to the Cosmetic Counter Without Me." She reviews just about every cosmetic line out there and discusses the pros and cons of each item. Before I buy any cosmetic, I look to see what she says about it. I don't always agree with her on some items, but overall it's a great way to see what products might irritate your skin, which ones will or won't do what they advertise, etc. She also lists potentially irritating ingredients that might cause more breakouts, so you know what to look for in ingredient lists. It's a fun read. Check with your library first--they might have it so you won't have to buy it (that's where I first saw it). She has a website, www.cosmeticscop.com, where you can check out free beauty bulletins. It's really nice to see honest reviews instead of "this week's miracle cure" like the cosmetics companies put out every week, it seems. Just saw a really good review for Clinique's "Pore Minimizer Instant Perfector ", so I guess I'll be hitting the mall this weekend! biggrin.gif/ Above all, have fun with trying different makeup lines!

I used to use Clinique's Pore Minimizer in high school. I had perfect skin then so it worked well...But, the product is very watery and dries so fast it's extremely hard to blend or work with...might not be good for anyone with problem skin. If you have any flakiness whatsoever, I think it would be impossible to use.

You might also try NARS Multiples, they are really cool and can be used for lips, cheeks and eyes. They have several really great colors that you can mix and overlay to create some very nice effects with and have used them without any problems. I use them for all three purposes and only have to retouch the lips once in awhile unlike lipsticks and glosses that seem to wear off pretty quickly. They last a long time too. They can be purchased at the NARS counter, at the Sephora stores, or online at www.sephora.com.

Hi there. I am a professional makeup artist and there is definitely at least one makeup brand you can try. I don't know where you are in proximity to NYC, but there are several MAC stores there. The majority of their products are water based so will not clog pores, are highly pigmented for great coverage. Two of the products I would suggest for you to try is either Studio Tech, which is a cream based foundation that creates a very smooth and flawless finish, or Studio Fix, which is what I personally use, and that is a powder foundation that has excellent coverage as well. You can go to any of the MAC stores and they will demonstrate the products for you and help you determine which one would be most suitable. Trish McEvoy also makes a foundation stick that is awesome as well. I have used these products in photo shoots and they really create a beautiful looking finish. I hope this helps you.

I use coverblend concealer and have had no problems with it? It is made for acne. It is the only makeup I have found with good pigment to cover up scars and hyperpigmentation. smile.gif