Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

To start off, I am a teenage guy who has had acne for about 3 years now (and really screwed up my face in the process.) Right now, I'm using the CSR (which, actually, goes somewhatagainst my theory- but not completely as you will see later on.)

I'm not sure if I am in the minority, but (this is a bit embarrassing for me to admit)- I have mild to moderate acne above my genitals (that patch of hair- not you're actual genital, everyone has it.) At the very worst, I can have 10 papules at a time (I know, gross! *hurl*) But, I've noticed that if I keep the hair short and wash once a day with a TTO (Tea Tree Oil) cleanser, the acne vanishes in about a week without leaving any red marks!

Many of us have used BP, SA, Glycolic Acid, Lactic Acid, Differin, Tazorac, even Accutane, and the list continues. What if these chemicals actually PROLONGED and even caused some of your acne?! And, therefore, by prolonging the time of an active pimple/drying the skin/reducing skin's natural efficiency- a red mark is left. This is my theory...

I urge anyone who has any acne above their genitals to try shaving with a razor for a week and wash once a day:

1) Shave that area

2) Wash with a gentle cleanser

That's all! Your acne should completely clear in a week or less- it did for me!

The question is: Does this work for your face too? :think:

Sidenote: I'm not completely dissing topicals like BP etc- they help prevent acne from forming...But I think they also prolong current active acne. I think the gentle TTO cleanser, once a day, is enough to fight the acne.

Many of us have used BP, SA, Glycolic Acid, Lactic Acid, Differin, Tazorac, even Accutane, and the list continues. However, what if these products were only the industry trying to make money off of vulnerable acne sufferers? What if these chemicals actually PROLONGED and even caused some of your acne?! And, therefore, by prolonging the time of an active pimple/drying the skin/reducing skin's natural efficiency- a red mark is left. This is my theory...

I'm sorry, i don't believe in a dermatologist/clearasil/proactiv conspiracy.

tea tree oil does help a lot of people though. personally i hated it.

I didn't mean it like that at all...I'm going to edit my post to avoid confusion.

I don't believe in a conspiracy either. I believe the derms, etc ARE trying desperately to help us, but our natural healing might be more effective.

Think about it:

-When we dry out our skin with products, it flakes. Those skin flakes clog pores and, in turn, cause acne.

-When our skin becomes dry, we reduce the risk of flaking by moisturizing. In moisturizing, we take the risk of clogging pores- therefore, causing acne.

-Pore-clogging and irritating ingredients are present in OTC products.

The derms just haven't found a way to counteract the negative effects of their products. So, although they do help, they may take longer than necessary to get us clear.

Why do you hate TTO?

Guest Locked In Grace

Kind of like skin levelling. They use that type of method in some clinics for facial acne. I'm not sure how effective it is though.

No, you've misinterpreted me; I don't believe in a conspiracy either. I believe the derms, etc ARE trying desperately to help us, but our natural healing might be more effective.

Think about it:

-When we dry out our skin with products, it flakes. Those skin flakes clog pores and, in turn, cause acne.

-When our skin becomes dry, we reduce the risk of flaking by moisturizing. In moisturizing, we take the risk of clogging pores- therefore, causing acne.

-Pore-clogging and irritating ingredients are present in OTC products.

The derms just haven't found a way to counteract the negative effects of their products. So, although they do help, they may take longer than necessary to get us clear.

Why do you hate TTO?

Why do you hate TTO?

it's super drying and irritating

it smells awful and i spilled it everywhere

it didn't help my acne.

Kind of like skin levelling. They use that type of method in some clinics for facial acne. I'm not sure how effective it is though.

Yes, there are many OTC and prescription products that can cause more trouble than good. But there are also really good one's. Just a matter of educating yourself, and trying to find products that agree with your skin.

The idea of any regimen is to clear as much acne as possible so as to manage the problem, and avoid any further damage. Unless you have extremely mild acne, leaving it will simply cause scarring.

And TTO is one of the most drying products out, so it goes against your theory IMO. Granted it does help, but there are far more effective, less irritating products out there.

I'm not saying leave it; just maybe try using a mild cleanser once a day instead of tons of products. Feel free to try it somewhere else ala your back.

The regimen consists of using TTO only once a day (morning or night- doesn't really matter) as to avoid drying.

Why do you hate TTO?

it's super drying and irritating

it smells awful and i spilled it everywhere

it didn't help my acne.

I am referring to a TTO cleansing bar- I never liked the liquid form either! I believe the bar is made by nature's plus and it contains soothing, aromatherapeutic oils in order to avoid irritation.

Using it once a day would also reduce dryness.

Guest Locked In Grace

I'm not saying leave it; just maybe try using a mild cleanser once a day instead of tons of products. Feel free to try it somewhere else ala your back.

I use a gentle Glycolic Acid wash, twice daily. I use a Glycolic and Salicylic Acid lotion during the day, with a 30+ SPF moisturiser. Then an All-Trans-Retinol with 12% Glycolic Acid with Cetaphil moisturising lotion on top at night.

My skin isn't irritated, and it's a must more holitic and effective regimen than TTO. And that's from experience in both. There really is a place for synthetic products, nature isn't always better.

The regimen consists of using TTO only once a day (morning or night- doesn't really matter) as to avoid drying.

In what concentration? All over face?

I use a gentle Glycolic Acid wash, twice daily. I use a Glycolic and Salicylic Acid lotion during the day, with a 30+ SPF moisturiser. Then an All-Trans-Retinol with 12% Glycolic Acid with Cetaphil moisturising lotion on top at night.

My skin isn't irritated, and it's a must more holitic and effective regimen than TTO. And that's from experience in both. There really is a place for synthetic products, nature isn't always better.

In what concentration? All over face?

I'm not sure, it's called Nature's Plus Tea Tree Bar...And yes, all over face.

And, btw, I'm not a person who normallly uses natural products. I just noticed that the rest of my body is more clear than my face by basically leaving it alone. Maybe facial acne is just different... :think:

Guest Locked In Grace

Yeah see this is where we lose each other. I don't understand the theory of leaving something alone alleviating the problem, when the fact is it's surfaced in the first place. People generally don't lather acne fighting products onto thier face when they have clear skin.

I suffered from cystic acne. That stuff does not vanish overnight if left alone. It has the potential to leave disfiguring scars, even if addressed quite rapidly.

Yeah see this is where we lose each other. I don't understand the theory of leaving something alone alleviating the problem, when the fact is it's surfaced in the first place. People generally don't lather acne fighting products onto thier face when they have clear skin.

I suffered from cystic acne. That stuff does not vanish overnight if left alone. It has the potential to leave disfiguring scars, even if addressed quite rapidly.

I'm not saying leave it completely alone, but I think washing with a gentle cleanser once a day could be enough.

The regimen would be for mild to moderate; cysts are classified as severe.