Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
AlliE_CaT

Why I think BP is the devil incarnate

Ok so, I find you all in mid June... I am excited! Wow a forum for acne.... I love all you guys btw.

However, any form of bp I use to spot treat, turns every zit I am trying to kill into a hard little cyst under my skin that has to be prodded out with a needle and tweezers! Am I the only one? Should I sue Dan? That was a joke btw. Anyhow I guess bp ain't for everyone.

Thoughts? Comments? Questions?

ty

Allie

when i put bp on my existing pimples they do turn hard too. but it keeps the rest of my skin very clear .. dunno why but im gunna keep using it.. bcuz if it keeps my skin clear i wont have pimples for the bp to turn hard in the first place..

anyone kno why

or does it happen to anyone else?

when i put bp on my existing pimples they do turn hard too. but it keeps the rest of my skin very clear .. dunno why but im gunna keep using it.. bcuz if it keeps my skin clear i wont have pimples for the bp to turn hard in the first place..

anyone kno why

or does it happen to anyone else?

you know. BP spot treat is a myth. Almost every dermatologist will say that if you ask them. in fact, there is no such thing as

as spot treat. All is used for prevention game. Yes, retinoids, bp, topical antibiotics---they are only preventive measures. Nothing can treat a pimple other than oral antibiotics, which dr.fulton, the creator of bp and retin-a, calls a "placebo."

you know. BP spot treat is a myth. Almost every dermatologist will say that if you ask them. in fact, there is no such thing as

as spot treat. All is used for prevention game. Yes, retinoids, bp, topical antibiotics---they are only preventive measures. Nothing can treat a pimple other than oral antibiotics, which dr.fulton, the creator of bp and retin-a, calls a "placebo."

You are absolutely right. That should be a bumper sticker or a damn t-shirt -- "BP spot treat is a myth."

:clap::clap:

Yes, I have recently come to realise that putting BP on pimples actually makes them a lot worse for me. They actually get bigger and last forever. And then they leave a red mark that never goes away. I wish I had clued into this before.

Dans bp gel did absolutely nothing for me... zero zip zilch nada... except make my face feel greasy and unpleasant. I don't buy into this bull about 2.5% being as effective as 10%... all 2.5% does is make you put more nasty goey suspension crud on your face to get the same amount of medication on it... and likely interfere even with achieving that because the medication will dry into solidified crud pockets or be wiped off before your skin can absorb it at some point (I found this happened to me at about 1/2 dan's final recommended dosage... maybe my skin just isn't very absorbant.

2.5% may work fine for some people. But many claims made here and elsewhere are bordering on ridiculous.

2.5% causes less irritation then 10%... Since neither will actually BURN the skin, the concentration difference is irrelivant... the ONLY difference will be in the amount of medication. Assuming a perfect universe 4x 2.5% versus 1x 10% will have the exact same impact on the skin.

The same applies to effectiveness. 2.5%'s ONLY purpose is to treat people who's acne responds to a very small dose of BP. That is why 5% and 10% doses exist as well. No doctor in their right mind would say... well 2.5% didnt work for you... apply four times as much. A pharmaceutical company might.

Outside of this... I havent found BP to work well as a spot treatment for me. It does have some ability to dry up and shrink pimples... but other treatments are known better for this. BP is in my opinion an excellent topical preventative measure though. If you can deal with the dryness and irritation it WILL cause (especially around nostrils and under eyes for me), then it almost always will help acne for the simple virtue that it kills the bacteria that are the leading irritant in MOST (not all) cases of acne. Also, it is an oxidizer so the bacteria will not develop resistance to it.

The MAIN reason BP fails is in my experience one of several things

1. Not stuck to (Twice daily... some extreme cases may require three times)

2. Not continues (Bare MINIMUM 2 weeks to see significant results... may take 2 months.

3. Attention (It wont help pickers. You pop every little teeny irritation bump you get, you could have acne without a single bacteria on your face)

4. Not enough dosage (a small application of 2.5% wont work for most people... honestly I'd say 5% should be the starting point... my derm started me at 10% when I was 11.)

5. Irritation. (Irritation from the BP and other factors causes redness and makes existing acne and old acne marks more noticable)