Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
lucy_87

sun for acne?

hey guys

well i duno bt all of u but normally if im on holiday my acne is much better. im tihnking of going away to australia for a few months (im in uk) only im meant to be starting roaccutane soon for mild/moderate persistient acne. is it likely that the australian sun will help in the mean time if i did go away so that my acne was manageable at least till i got back? appreciate any ideas

Over the summer I was tanning in the sun about a couple hours a week and hoping it would help my skin. I don't normally like to be tan but I was desperate and wanted to see if it would clear me up. It actually made my acne and red marks a lot worse!! Since I've been avoiding the sun my skin looks better! It might be different for everyone but I'm not sure. My skin got really oily too when I was tanning. If you already have a lot of red marks definatly avoid the sun!!

I think some swedish doctors conducted a study on the sun helping acne.

They think it helps, I believe.

(haha sorry I can't be very informative here)

Guest Locked In Grace

UV exposure thickens the epidermis (outermost layer of the skin), which exacerbates acne. It weakens the skins immunity, breaks down Collagen and Elastin, damages cell DNA, causes both hypo-pigmentation and hyper-pigmentation, dehydrates the skin which, among other problems, causes clogging of the pores.

I think some swedish doctors conducted a study on the sun helping acne.

They think it helps, I believe.

I wouldn't recommend tanning while using any topicals(especially BP). I tried to hide my acne by tanning to improve my complexion and now I'm stuck with rosacea.

It says on MinoCyline not to get over 2 hours of sun (per day)while on the medicine

It has always helped me significantly, and I know for a fact that if I lived in a place where I could get a couple of hours' sun every day I wouldn't have acne at all, end of. But I don't, so now I'm on accutane and shit scared to go anywhere sunny until it's over (with consequent redness, paleness). If the sun works for you, I would say go for it. Accutane is a question of faith that after 6 months of looking like shit you're skin will be clear. Sunshine on the other hand (in my experience) does its work within a couple of days making you look and feel better in the process.

thanks for all yr comments. i guess like everything else it is different for everyone! obviously the sun isnt gona cure every1s acne as people in hot places still have to put up with this same acne shit anyway but i guess it helps for some people, short term at least.

Mine has had a simular effect but I've noticed that it was more the weather that changed my acne. In humid weather my skin becomes very soft and clear, I also have less acne in the winter.

I found this past summer that my skin looks much better when its blazing sunlight outside. I doubt it looked quite as good outside in the direct sunlight, but I know that now its autumn my skin doesn't look quite as magnificent when I'm inside and its dreary weather outside

I think about 15 min's pure unprotected exposure to the sun per day is good for you, otherwise wear sun cream.

Well this is the case for my skin (white).