Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
terrynutkins

Roaccutane & Peanut Allergy (Quick HELP!)

Hello.

Got my RoAccutane pills today.

I've been told to take:

20mg for 2 weeks

40mg for 2 weeks

60mg for 2 weeks

& also at the same time take 2x Erythromycin morning & night.

Quite alot of pills eh? :S

Anyways. About 5 mins ago i was about to take my 1st RoAccutane pill but before i was reading the leaflet that came with the pills & it stated

'Do Not take Roaccutane.. 'If you are Allergic to Peanuts, since it contains Peanut Oil''

Now, i'm 8/10 Allergic to Peanuts. & I told my derm that i was allergic to Peanuts & she even wrote it down.

Now do you think that i'll be ok taking RoAccutane?

I mean, she's a derm, & she knows about RoAccutane surely, & she also knew i was allergic to Peanuts, so if it was going to make me have an Allergic reaction then she'd of said, obviously

The pill is small & i'm guessing will only contain a really really small amout of this oil, which i don't think will harm me. If at all.

Has anyone ever taken RoAccutane & have been Allergic to Peanuts?

I wouldn't risk asking for advice from non-professionals if it's o.k. to take accutane while being allergic to something that is in it. I'd ask a pharmacy and get more than one opinion before taking it. It's not worth the risk of possibly dying from an allergic reaction!

Call your pharmacy and ask if any of the generic versions don't contain peanut oil, and get that type prescribed instead. I don't think you should take any peanut oil if you have a serious peanut allergy, even in small amounts - you're going to have to take one or more of these pills probably every day.

And i find this interesting because RXlist doesn't mention peanut oil as a component of Accutane, Roaccutane may be unique in that regard. Considering how widespread and severe peanut allergies are, i'm amazed that any pharmaceutical company would use peanut oil in a medication.

My mum went to the pharmacy today to ask about this issue, she said i should be fine & that if there was a problem the derm wouldn't have given me the medication in the 1st place, the fact that the oil is in a completely different group to actual peanuts means it won't effect me, & also the fact that there's so little of the oli inside the pills it isn't anything to worry about.

that's good to hear that you can still take the accutane! I didn't know they had the peanut thing in them, seems strange.

As for the pills, get yourself a little pill box to make it easier and ensure you remember your pills everyday. I'm at 14 pills a day myself for accutane and the other vitamins and stuff I take to help with the side effects!

Hello.

Got my RoAccutane pills today.

I've been told to take:

20mg for 2 weeks

40mg for 2 weeks

60mg for 2 weeks

& also at the same time take 2x Erythromycin morning & night.

Quite alot of pills eh? :S

Anyways. About 5 mins ago i was about to take my 1st RoAccutane pill but before i was reading the leaflet that came with the pills & it stated

'Do Not take Roaccutane.. 'If you are Allergic to Peanuts, since it contains Peanut Oil''

Now, i'm 8/10 Allergic to Peanuts. & I told my derm that i was allergic to Peanuts & she even wrote it down.

Now do you think that i'll be ok taking RoAccutane?

I mean, she's a derm, & she knows about RoAccutane surely, & she also knew i was allergic to Peanuts, so if it was going to make me have an Allergic reaction then she'd of said, obviously

The pill is small & i'm guessing will only contain a really really small amout of this oil, which i don't think will harm me. If at all.

Has anyone ever taken RoAccutane & have been Allergic to Peanuts?

Yes, I have. But the derm was aware, so i don't think there were any traces of peanuts in my accutane :)