Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Foomph

Glycolic Acid vs AHA

Just wondering if AHA is really much better than glycolic acid, or has anyone on the regimen tried a glycolic acid moisturizer instead of the AHA? Just wondering b/c I've used the neutrogena before and it's been irritating. I though maybe glycolic acid might be better...

Thanks.

Glycolic acid is an alpha hydroxy acid...

Edit: Lactic acid is an AHA as well and there are others, are you thinking of Lactic? Because otherwise, whatever AHA you buy will probably just be glycolic, all my AHA products are.

REally? I thought they were different.

Edit: Aha! I did find it in Paula Begoun's book: both lactic acid and glycolic acid are forms of AHAs. Thanks!

yes glycolic acid is an Alpha Hydroxy Acid.

When u do chemical peels, the glycolic acid in that is at its nearest pure form (as some other stuff is added as constiuents)

but AHA's in products such as Healthy Skin Lotion arnt that effective due to the GA being partially neutralised with (i think) sodium hydroxide(alkali) so the overal effect of the product isnt that great.

Ah-thanks! I've read that pH and concentration are ket to a product being effective. Since Neutrogena doesn't say what the %age of AHA is, i think I'll try Neostrata 8% Glycolic acic moisturizer.

Ah-thanks! I've read that pH and concentration are ket to a product being effective. Since Neutrogena doesn't say what the %age of AHA is, i think I'll try Neostrata 8% Glycolic acic moisturizer.

You may also want to look into Peter Thomas Roth and DDF. They have oodles of GA products ranging from 8 to 12%.

I'm not familiar with proactive, but judging form the amount of complaints aginst this product, it likely doesn't have the right concentration and pH of AHAs

The Neutrogena Healthy Skin Face Lotion is 8% glycolic acid. The sensitive skin version is I think 4% instead, though. I believe the Proactiv toner is also pretty weak, maybe 4-5% glycolic acid, and possibly too basic to be effective--in my anecdotal unscientific opinion based on smell and face sensation, the NHSFL is a good deal more acidic than the Proactiv toner. Lactic acid products tend to be gentler than glycolic acid products, though they are harder to find. As has already been said, both lactic and glycolic acid are types of AHAs. If you don't tolerate glycolic acid well even at lower percentages, you should experiement with lactic acid products like Lac-Hydrin 5.