Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
LM_06

Afterglow Cosmetics Mineral Makeup

EDITED OCTOBER 29, 2006 - I've RESTARTED my Review.

Hi all,

I said I'd write in when I tested a new mineral makeup. I decided to test Afterglow Cosmetics this time. They were recommended highly on http://www.ewg.org/reports/skindeep2

This is their web site:

http://www.afterglowcosmetics.com/

I liked their testimonials too.

So I took the plunge and ordered their $20 Trial Kit. (free shipping). Their web site says it can take 3-4 days or so to process the order and another 3 or 4 for delivery - and that seems to be accurate.

The kit contains 3 different colors of foundation, 1 blush, 1 bronzer, and a setting powder (which doubles as an underneath powder too). The jars are small in size, but contain sifters (thank heavens). They're sorta interesting jars because they all fit together ... the bottom of one screws on as the top of another jar. It's sorta neat and tidy - but I'm not really happy dealing with small sample jars (but what can you do? They're samples)

The kits are pre-made - grouped of similar colors that might suit a person. I choose Sample Set: Light with Yellow Undertones (SLY1). While I'm not really yellow - I'm definitely not pink. This set promised a neutral among the bunch.

I was wondering initially if this would apply smoother make less of an accent on my pores than EM did. I wasn't sure it would - because the ingredient lists are really similar - yet - it is wholely different in the way it lays on my skin. It does NOT accentuate my pores as much as EM. It doesn't seem to settle into lines. And it does not make my very shallow scars more noticable than they need to be. (One of my bigger quibbles with EM was that my scars, pores and other dents were sort of highlighted with a shimmer). The coverage is nicely matte. The finishing dust is mica - and I thought it might shimmer - but it does not shimmer one little bit! In fact, it seems to smooth out the entire look just a little bit.

Findings on day 1:

Maybe I didn't try the best color today. It looks a smidge too yellow to me - and it was supposed to be sort of neutral. Will try a new color tomorrow.

The coverage is pretty though.

Foundation works fine as its own concealer - either applied before or after the foundation. Covers great using a small brush.

Make up applies matte. Color hasn't shifted after several hours. However, I noticed some oily breakthrough - so I applied more finishing dust. Will this be an issue? Will keep an eye on this. Might be a fluke.

Nothing about my face itches n the least! Yay! That was an issue I developed with EM after wearing it for some weeks -- I'll keep track of this over time with Afterglow and make sure the itchies really are gone.

I won't make a verdict until I've used it for 30 days. I'll keep you posted if anything changes.

-LM

Findings on day 2:

Yesterday's test color was: Light 3 which they describe as: lightest neutral shade matching perfectly with pink and yellow undertones.

This was pretty close, but possible just a tiny bit too dark and maybe a little yellow on me. I can't quite decide - but it was close. I could wear it without anyone looking at me like my makeup was wrong.

Today's test color is: Very Light 2 described as: Very Light 2 is the ideal shade for the peaches and cream complexion with yellow undertones.

This looks even closer to correct for me. It makes my face look very close to the same color, if not a perfect match, as my shoulders, neck and chest. I'll have to wear it a few more times to know for sure.

Today I applied a better coat of setting powder underneath as my base. I use the foundation as a concealer first with a small brush lightly painting discoloration or marks etc. Then I applied the foundation in 3 or 4 coats to see if it would cake up - and it does not cake or look weird with many layers. That was a wonderful surprise! It doesn't make my pores look big at all - and the funny thing, after I've had it on for a while, it sort of even looks almost like it is liquid makeup because it blends more smoothly - I don't know what causes that - but I like it.

Tomorrow I'll try the third color: Light 4: excellent match for very light skin with cool, olive undertones. Also works well for some Asian skin tones. When I did a test strip on one cheek, it really looked fine. Will know more when I test my whole face tomorrow. I thought by the description is would be darker and more olive, but it really is quite nice for my tones. Surprising.

I still love the coverage - I'm still not itching at all. I haven't noticed any color shifting. I'm not sure of its oil absorbing capability yet - will have to wait and see yet on that. It doesn't seem to be waterproof - but I guess I dont' really care about that.

The matte appearance of this makeup is very different from the matte EM. It isn't so flat that it makes you look dead or pasty - but there isn't a true sheen either. Yet somehow, when I turn my face in the light, there is a natural light play across my skin -just like when you don't have makeup on. It looks extremely natural in that way.

As promised, I won't make a verdict until I've used it for 30 days. I'm hoping this might be my holy grail - but I won't say that yet! I'll keep you posted.

-LM

EDIT: PS, I Forgot to mention the blush named Peachy seems like it was tailor made for me. It is so natural looking that I think I am in love. Haven't tried the other blush yet because I like this one so much. Very beautiful, I brush a tiny little over my eyelids too - I don't do true eyeshadows, but this looks really nice.

Glad to do it Libby. :) I'm glad someone is actually reading - I felt sort of alone in here. LOL

DAY 3:

LIGHT 4 was my color choice today. (See description in previous post). This is another color that I really like on my face. It doesn't seem to look olive-y at all on me. It is just a very nice and fairly neutral color on me. I can't decide whether I like this one better, or Very Light 2. Both are so nice, but different - yet they both look nice on my skin. Maybe I"ll mix them tomorrow and see what I get. Nice to have at least 2 solid choiced that work.

I'm getting more into this makeup each day. I really like the coverage. I like that it doesn't make my pores big at all. By the end of the day, it doesn't shift colors. It doesn't get goopy. I did not touch it up yesterday at all, and by the end of the night my face did look a little glowy- but not oily. When I felt my oily zones, my skin felt a little tacky, but not slick or truly moist. That's fine with me.

Today I tried it without any moisturizer underneath - and it applied very nicely. I applied the finishing powder under the makeup, and over the top. I am not itchy at all with this. Maybe the moisturizer underneath isn't even necessary? I'll keep testing.

The coverage is so very smooth. Very elegant. It doesn't look like I'm wearing a lot of makeup, but it is a wonderful look. It doesn't feel like anything is on my skin. I didn't know minerals could look this smooth.

I'm also thrilled with how little I use out of these containers. They have sifters - and I shake out a tiny bit each day. I could see these sample jars lasting a very long time.

I continue to love this makeup. Fingers crossed for the long term use - will I still love it after several weeks?

-LM

PS: I highly doubt it is waterproof - if you're thinking of swimming etc. However, when blowing my nose, the tissue doesn't drag off all my makeup - about 90-95% stays on my face instead of on the tissue.

this is great! thanks for the reviews...i too am reading. i use joppa and really like it, but its always good to have a backup makeup cus with small companies like joppa you just never know. this sounds like great stuff and will probably be the makeup i try if i ever need a change. thank you! and continue to keep us posted!

Glad to know it's useful info Longshot. Thanks. Yep - if you have makeup that works, don't change it. I'm like you in liking backup plans for that "what if my favorite thing disappears" scenario. -LM

Longshot - I know exactly how that goes! I say a little prayer now and then that my favorite unique products will continue to be available as long as I want them. LOL Sad huh? I've even written to manufacturers letting them know how much I love their products and always tell them how I hope they make it forever. (Some of them appreciate this sort of feedback).

Okay - so on with my review ....

DAY 4:

Yesterday's color may be my perfect color. It was Light 4: described as excellent match for very light skin with cool, olive undertones. Also works well for some Asian skin tones. If I'd have based my decision on the description alone, I never would have tried this color. Yet, it was included in my sample package, so I figured, why not? I am a redhead - sort of chestnut, or red/brown, very fair skin, blue/green eyes, but neutral tones I guess. Maybe there is a tiny tinge of yellow, but definitely not pink in my skin, and no one would say I'm olive. So I would have thought that description couldn't possibly work on me - but it does. I'll test it a few more times and make sure I still like the color. Today I mixed it with VERY LIGHT 2, which is described as ideal shade for the peaches and cream complexion with yellow undertones. Now this was okay on me, but it is just a teeny too yellow if you look very closely and really stare a long time. The average look wouldn't show.

Last night, I noticed very minimal moisture came through my makeup all day - no touch ups were done. I didn't wear moisturizer underneath yesterday.

Today, I skipped the moisturizer again. I must be getting better at application, because the finish looked so smooth that my pores not only were not magnified, but they seemed smaller. I think the lack of moisturizer underneath and then applying the finishing dust as a primer layer under the foundation really minimizes pores extremely well.

I love the way this stuff looks.

Okay - more testing on color to come - and I have to keep testing to make sure it doesn't suddenly start me itching after a few weeks. So far, not a single itch at all!!! Wonderful. :)

-LM

Hey word of mouth is how these companies stay in business. And I totally agree, I'm always on the look out for backup. Joppa is awesome and they have me as a customer as long as they're in business, but you just never know if some big corporation is going to come in and buy them out. Take Aveeno, they used to be so good, now that they're bought by Johnson's and Johnson, their product has turned into crap. Not that Joppa will be sold, but there's no harm having a backup.

Now let's just hope both Afterglow AND Joppa don't go out of business...

Too true spikeyli!

And by the way - I think I finally figured out what to call my skin tone /color!

I think i'm porcelain. I found a web site with pictues - and I look like them. So porcelain seems rather neutral to me. Is that correct?

Not sure what this site is, but this is where I found my coloring ...

http://www.chataromano.com/html/chart.asp

Too true spikeyli!

And by the way - I think I finally figured out what to call my skin tone /color!

I think i'm porcelain. I found a web site with pictues - and I look like them. So porcelain seems rather neutral to me. Is that correct?

Not sure what this site is, but this is where I found my coloring ...

http://www.chataromano.com/html/chart.asp

Actually I would define porcelain to be more cool tone than neutral or warm. Porcelain skin are pale and tend to belong to women with light color eyes, like Snow White. Women with porcelain skin tends to have pink undertone because of the paleness of their skin, usually people with yellow undertones tend to be darker because of the warm tone. I would definitely call Nicole Kidman a cool tone. Another word I hear that's associated with porcelain skin is ivory, but yes porcelain is a very popular term used in cosmetic color scheme. Actually I always thought porcelain skin is very striking, and given the right blush it looks just every bit as good, if not better than their olive skin counterpart. Porcelain skin also hides wrinkles and fine lines better, unfortunately every scar, zit, or rash also shows up much more on their skin too.

I just had a look at the afterglow website....I like how in the picture on their hompage the woman is wearing something that looks very verrry much like FUR! *shakes head* we all have different views but that kind of surprised me.

I haven't seen the fur, but I looked on their faq page and found this:

Have any of your products ever been tested on animals? Afterglow's products have never been and never will be tested on animals. We also do not purchase ingredients for our products that have been tested on animals.

You could write to them if it worries you.

I just had a look at the afterglow website....I like how in the picture on their hompage the woman is wearing something that looks very verrry much like FUR! *shakes head* we all have different views but that kind of surprised me.

Thanks for the feedback Spikeli. I think in my own makeup, anything that remotely ventures to pink makes me look very odd. I can do good neutrals and sometimes can do something with a hint of yellow - but I am that snow white pale ultimately. The only time my complexion shows pink is when it is irritated, or eczema flares, or right after washing or rubbing my face, etc - but that's not actually my natural color when everything is settled down and happy. When I wake up in the morning it is calm and pale and neutral. (I'm FINALLY grasping why I couldn't identify undertones before - I'm blessedly neutral!)

I'm going to contact Afterglow and ask them if they have anything that is even closer to my neutral-porcelain needs.

This is DAY 5:

No itchies. No problems have developed. I still love the coverage more than I can describe. I'm color tweaking - but that's not their fault, I have weird color to match! I might take back my theory that it might not be waterproof - if I don't splash cleanser on it, it doesn't slide off my face when I get it wet. I sweat while working out, and dabbed my forehead but no makeup came off on the kleenex. Someone else will have to do a swim test, I don't swim ;)

LM, the cool tones are definitely harder to match, and I don't envy you when you try to buy makeup or have a zit attack:-P But think about it this way, when the rest of us are all wrinkly and prune like, you will still look good because your skin won't show wrinkles like ours do.

I am consider neutral because I have both pink and yellow undertones (I know, I'm weird) but I lean more towards yellow so I can use a lot of the makeup out there. I feel really sorry for my mom, she has pink undertone and it's almost impossible to find her makeup. If she wears anything with yellow undertone, she looks either orange or like she has jaundice. If she wears something pink tinted, she gets even redder.

Actually being pale with neutral coloring is a blessing, that means colors really look alive on you. You're like a perfectly blank canvas, your skin won't dilute the color and mix to make some odd color. My cousin has significant yellow undertone and blushes and eyeshadows always look different on her than it does on the packaging.

Thanks for the pep talk spikeli. You're so right that ever COLORED flaw jumps out off my ultra fair skin like crazy. I don't actually worry about wrinkles at all. Most of my family doesn't seem to really be prone to excessive wrinkling, I don't really do the sun, and I do an AHA 2x a day. At 38, I don't even have any signs of wrinkles. All I worry about is keeping my skin from flaring up.

You know, I must be a chameleon (sp?) or something. One day, I wear a color and it looks perfect. Then the next day, I think it isn't quite right. I go back to another color that I thought was too yellow, and suddenly it looks perfect. Ugh! I must be nuts.

Oh well - back to the review.

DAY 6

Still no adverse reactions whatsoever to this makeup. Still in love with the look for all the same reasons cited above.

LM, the cool tones are definitely harder to match, and I don't envy you when you try to buy makeup or have a zit attack:-P But think about it this way, when the rest of us are all wrinkly and prune like, you will still look good because your skin won't show wrinkles like ours do.

I am consider neutral because I have both pink and yellow undertones (I know, I'm weird) but I lean more towards yellow so I can use a lot of the makeup out there. I feel really sorry for my mom, she has pink undertone and it's almost impossible to find her makeup. If she wears anything with yellow undertone, she looks either orange or like she has jaundice. If she wears something pink tinted, she gets even redder.

Actually being pale with neutral coloring is a blessing, that means colors really look alive on you. You're like a perfectly blank canvas, your skin won't dilute the color and mix to make some odd color. My cousin has significant yellow undertone and blushes and eyeshadows always look different on her than it does on the packaging.

Hey great news everyone. I emailed with Afterglow about my colors - and I was contacted by Kristin at their company ....

First she offered to let me try another color sample. I didn't expect that. Very nice!

Then - she offered to give me a discount code to post here for anyone else who wants to try their makeup. Specifically for OUR forum. How nice is that?

As soon as I know what it is, I'll post the info here if you folks want it.

More later on today's assessment of the makeup - I haven't done my face yet today. Although - I can add one comment, I've noticed my skin feels smoother to the touch since I made this switch. I didn't expect that at all, but is very noticable each time I wash my face now, my skin is satiny smooth feeling. More later today.

I am totally impressed with the responses I've had emailing with Afterglow. I gave them the info about our forum, and our discussion, and Kristin (with Afterglow) gave me this for anyone who reads this forum to use on their first purchase:

Please share this 15% off discount code with your friends - it's good

until January 1st, 2007:

Acne.org

Just like the website's name. Just type it in exactly as is during

checkout and click "update" to receive the discount.

DAYS 8 - 10:

Oops Sorry. Forgot to do my review for a few days.

The makeup is still working really well. No itchies. No weirdness at all. Still very smooth etc.

Made a fatal mistake and blew my clear skin routine however, and am now experiencing what it is like once again to cover two extremely large angry red lumpy pimples. Really angry at myself because I caused it through stupidity. Skipped (accidentally) 2 days worth of my birth control pills - sending my hormones off kilter .... and stupidly fell asleep 3 nights without washing my face. Duh! Haven't done anything this stupid all year regarding my skin. Well - if nothing else - it showed me how the Afterglow can hide huge flaws. I spend an extra bit of time with a tiny brush and carefully hide each of these huge mountains. It hides the color perfectly - if only I could hide the lump - but that would be impossible.

Anyway - glad I have this makeup - it will help me salvage a very important meeting I have on Tuesday. Thank heavens!

DAY 11:

I'm editing day 11 because I discovered more of my own ineptness was causing a problem. I had caked on a whole lot (I mean like with a shovel) of the mineral foundation over two rather mean large lumpy pimples. I was wondering why several hours later the minerals were getting sort of cracky looking. Duh - it was the extra thick layer of AHA that I put underneath ... my skin was peeling off. Nothing can stick to peeling skin. I'm so stupid sometimes. As gross as this might sound, I was able to brush off the loose skin - and apply mineral foundation to the clean skin without making it look like a patch job. That's one of the best things about this makeup - it doesn't color shift at all - so if I patch after a few hours, it is all still the same color.

Thank heavens for slathering on the AHA and this makeup letting my skin breathe - because these 2 giants are smaller tonight than this morning. I would rather not have them for this important meeting tomorrow mornig, but will pray that they won't be noticed by my client. I'm sooooo grateful that this makeup plays down my pores and my shallow scars!

Also - my new sample arrived tonight. Can't test it for a couple days because of this meeting - but will let you know how it works out.

Day 12:

I'm thrilled to bits with this makeup. What was it - 2 days or 3 days ago I had those huge lumps of pimples show up because of my own mistakes? Well - - they are nearly flat today. Granted, there is still redness, but since they're flat, the makeup hid them perfectly. I'm so glad that this makeup does not interfere with healing!!!! All you could see was a minor raised dot on my skin today. I love this stuff! My meeting was just fine because I didn't have to worry about what my client would see on my face. I could concentrate on the work. Yay! I love Afterglow. I know my 30 days aren't over - but I just love it! I even put it on the ugly marks at night - and it blends so well you can't tell I'm using it for a concealer. Neat.

Tomorrow I''ll try the new color. But I have to admit, this lightest shade with a yellow undertone is really looking so nice on me, I'm not sure I'll need the other color. It will still be good to compare though - maybe it is even better than this one.

Yay! It turned out to be an okay day after all. Phew!

Wow - I've been following this thread and cannot wait to order a sample kit. What size are the samples? 5 products for $20 is really good (and free shipping) but some samples are so small that it's hard to even use the brush with it without it going everywhere. These look like decent size jars. Do you know if they are 3g or 5g jars? Usually if they are 3 gram it seems like there's less than a gram of powder and maybe only 2 days worth? 5g jars seem to hold a little more. Thanks for the 'research', it helps so much when trying to decide about ordering.

Heather

Hi Heather,

If my daily ramblings helps anyone - then I'm glad to do it.

I don't actually know what size these jars are ... but you could write to them through their web site and ask. They're super friendly. The only time I didn't hear back from them was when I tried using my yahoo email - but when I use my regular email I get replies within 24 hours.

Size .... I do know that the shaker on the jars has kept me from wasting product. The jar top measures 1-1/4" across so they are small. When I used EM, I think a jar would last me a week. I have used one of these Afterglow jars at least 7 times, and there is still plenty in there to go. I bet I get more than a month out of a single jar easily. That's the foundation. Now the blush - that should last far far longer - many months at least. I use the blush for eyes, cheeks and lips (mixed with lip gloss) and it's gorgeous. Haven't even tried my 2nd blush color yet. The finishing dust sample might last ME about 2 or 3 weeks, because I use it before and after the foundation - twice as much as my foundation I guess. The finishing dust is white - but it goes on completely invisible/ transparent.

The full size jars are supposed to last 6 months to 1 year.

Oh - Read their return policy - because if you don't like the stuff, I believe you get a full refund (less shipping - which is free on samples anyway). Double check to make sure I'm right though.

Oh again - remember you can get a discount with their code in one of the above posts.

If you give it a try - please let us all know what you think. It's always good to hear from more than one person.