Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
anthonyc

is the fda making this stuff weaker or something??

i just dont understand this , its been two months since im off accutane and nothing..im very unimpressed with this so called wonder drug..a lot of you spoke about how you at least stayed clear for six months before it coming back.your lucky i didint even have that...even if i wake up with clear skin sometime during the day a red blemish will form on my lip by the afternoon or by nighttime..its very bizzare...i dont know why...do i really need to wait longer for results or should i have been paying 5 hundred dolars for tic tacs.??? my dermatologist gave me some evoclin today but this is ridiciulous..anybody else have this kind of deal?

what dose were you on? did you take your accutane after a high fat meal?

here are some reasons why accutane treatment can fail.

Treatment Failures

Non-responding patients to “normal� courses of isotretinoin may have been responders had the following potential pit-falls been adequately addressed during the initial course in assessing response:

• Compliance: check the lips for signs of cheilitis.

• Isotretinoin must be taken with a fat containing food.

• Insufficient dosage: clinical experience has shown that the dosing guidelines given in the product monograph are inadequate to achieve optimal response in most patients.

• Truncal acne, family history, early onset before age 12, long established acne that has been inadequately treated for years: all require more aggressive treatment.

• Ovarian cause (PCOS) may require hormonal therapy.

i took one in the morning and one at night.....so in the morning it was with no meal...my dermatoloist never said anything about make sure you take with high fat meal...

and i was on 40mg twice a day for mild persistant acne...

your body doesn't absorb accutane as well unless it is taken with a high fat meal. accutane should be taken directly after eating a food with some kind of fat in it or else it won't be absorbed properly into your system. this could be why it didn't work for you.

your body doesn't absorb accutane as well unless it is taken with a high fat meal. accutane should be taken directly after eating a food with some kind of fat in it or else it won't be absorbed properly into your system. this could be why it didn't work for you.

dude i doubt the fatty meal thing matters that much to not see results after a whole course...the pills are still in your somach its not like they just get shat straight out or somethin if u don't have fat.

btw....i don't really have fatty meals in breakfast so what if i take the pill with a shot of olive oil or something???would that help it absorb?

Actually, Accutane is fat soluble -- meaning it dissolves in your gut when mixed with fat only. If there is no fat present in the gut at the time of ingestion, the drug is stored in the liver and most of it is simply excreted! A key factor in the effectiveness of Accutane is the ingestion of some fat just before taking each dose.

A little fat will do. Make sure to ingest the meal with fat *before* taking each dose of Accutane. For example, with even a light meal, try one or two of these: Eat a whole avocado, drink a glass of whole milk, take a couple of tablespoons of olive oil (at least 2), take a liquid fish-oil supplement and a vitamin E capsule, eat some greasy french fries, etc.

I tend to eat low-fat foods, so this is tough for me as well -- but I have to tell you, the difference that the ingestion of fat made to the effectiveness of Accutane has been remarkable for me. Read some of the previous posts on this here board and you'll find several ideas. Take good care, do it right, and good luck!

~M~

dude i doubt the fatty meal thing matters that much to not see results after a whole course...the pills are still in your somach its not like they just get shat straight out or somethin if u don't have fat.

it really does matter, if you don't take accutane with a fat containing food, it won't be properly absorbed into your body and you won't see results.

i am wondering if this fat step is so important why my dermatologust never mentioned it and why i never read about it before this and why its not on the box or anything..all the told me was one in the am one in the pm...wonderful

its too late now ...if i wanted to go back on accutane id have to wait another two months...

im sure without even realizing it i probably had fat foods somewhat but still even without i hope some got in my system...but then again it says take one in morning and at night...who eats a fatening meal for breakfast?

Hello again, Anthonyc;

Do you think your dosage was adequate for your weight?

I know what you mean about fat at breakfast. Ech. But maybe even a little butter on toast or, say, cereal with milk ... a latte? (All while trying to consume good fat versus 'fattening' foods, particularly since Accutane can also raise triglyceride levels.)

There may be an assumption that the typical diet contains an adequate amount of fat for Accutane to absorb well -- so it's not stated in the 'instructions'. As Jordan19 quoted in an earlier post, the instructions are not as extensive as they could be. As long as you had a meal with each dose, it should have been alright. Your derm or pharmacist should have mentioned the bit about taking it with meals, no?

I studied pharmacology in unversity, so I know a little bit about how substances interact with the human body in general -- but each person differs from the other slightly, so it's difficult to tell how something like Accutane might react. There is a slight chance that you are one of a small percentage of people for whom Accutane doesn't work ... I hate to even suggest that.

I'm sorry it didn't work for you -- that's really shitty. You should talk to a different dermatologist if you can, and tell him / her about your experience. If there's a chance that Accutane just doesn't work for you, you don't want to be forking over that amount of money again. If it does work, a higher dose may be more appropriate for you. Get another derm's opinion if possible.

Take care,

~M~

When you say it didn't work, do you mean no improvement at all? Because it seems that you're complaining about getting an occasional tiny "red blemish" on your lip. Even people who would never regard themselves as having acne do not have 100% flawless skin. It could just be normal anatomy that you're obsessing over?

Just f.y.i., it does say to take the pill with a high fat meal in the insert that comes with the medication. It basically states that if you do not take the pill with a high-fat meal that it is a wasted pill. Sorry your derm did not tell you that and that you didn't see it in the fine print. If you feel like it did not work for you the first time, a second course done properly should make you have faith in the wonder-drug. Good luck!

Hey! There's nothing in any of the information of the Canadian packaging that mentions having to take Accutane with a high fat meal -- it only mentions 'with meals'. Geeez. I'm sure glad that I did some research (much helpful info from this board, thank you so much!) before taking it -- or I'd be wasting at least my morning dose for sure! Thanks -- and take care :)

~M~

i hate whole milk the absolute most i can take is 2% but i would rather drink 1% sooo...in the morning cream cheese is my friend. slap that on a bagel and that's enough fat for the accutane. :cool: it's a fattening meal and not exactly good fat, but my body is handling it ok so it's working for me :dance:

i hate whole milk the absolute most i can take is 2% but i would rather drink 1% sooo...in the morning cream cheese is my friend. slap that on a bagel and that's enough fat for the accutane. :cool: it's a fattening meal and not exactly good fat, but my body is handling it ok so it's working for me :dance:

that's exactly what I have in the morning with my accutane. I hate all milk as well, even skim, I can't stand the stuff.

it really does matter, if you don't take accutane with a fat containing food, it won't be properly absorbed into your body and you won't see results.

this is from the accutane prescribing information...[attachmentid=6226]

Jordan is completely correct. Meals high in fat are absorbed more completely than anything else that you consume. just because a meal is high in fat doesn't mean that it's unhealthy. 30% of your diet SHOULD be fat-based. however, you want to stay away from the unhealthy fats, such as saturated fats and cholesterol. You can eat unsaturated fats and still stay perfectly healthy. That being said, you should not take accutane with any dietary supplement that will block fat absorption (which many of them do.) You want as much of the accutane absorb as much as possible. The accutane will bind with the fat molecules and allow them to be digested more easily. If you take it on an empty stomach, there is a chance that most of it will not be digested because your body may not see a 'use' for it. If your body doesn't think it needs what you're eating, it's just going to go straight through you.. our bodies work against us sometimes! The packaging of Accutane would not mention needing a meal high in fat because it's usually not needed. Most anything you will eat will have enough fat for the Accutane to bind with it.. So, in other words, don't eat a bunch of carrots and celery and expect it to be as effective. ;) Take it with a glass of milk and a well-balanced meal.

Guest ThereIsHope

so would taking B5 with tane be bad???? :think:

I don't know if it would be bad but, it would probably be unnecessary.

No. Vitamin B5, or pantothenic acid, helps with metabolism, and skin health. It can help to reduce the hormonal inbalances that cause over-production of oil which eventually leeds to acne. But, most people get enough B5 in their regular diet anyways.. Do know that if you get too much vitamin B5 (over 100 MG/day) it can cause diareha and some other problems. I dont' think it could hurt to take it though.. Just don't take it to toxic levels. ;)

btw....i don't really have fatty meals in breakfast so what if i take the pill with a shot of olive oil or something???would that help it absorb?

It's true, and I did experiments and everything on myself to see!

The days I took it with food and lots of fat, lots of results, even the next day....

The days I took with no food or just ate veggies/fruit with NO fat, I noticed my skin actually normal (not dry) the next day...

It was freaky, and made it sure that I would always take my pills with food/fat.

thanks for all the replys...i think ill clarify now....when i say it didint work, this is because i am still getting zits (apparentlly only on my upper lip area)...the reason i am saying it didint work was because i was udner the impression after 6 months of accurtane i would have absoultely no zits....for at least a long period of time...

the thing i do not understand which i tried to say earlier..is that even if i wake up all clear...sometime during the day a zit will sneak up on my lip...i guess my lips are just prone to this...and no its not herpes whoever said that...

i have evoclin foam now which i orginally took before accutane and it seems to be the best thing besides accutane...i am just going to dab a little on my lips every night and see if that helps...

if not in two months i can get back on accutane and try it eating fat foods everyday...

thanks

thanks for all the replys...i think ill clarify now....when i say it didint work, this is because i am still getting zits (apparentlly only on my upper lip area)...the reason i am saying it didint work was because i was udner the impression after 6 months of accurtane i would have absoultely no zits....for at least a long period of time...

the thing i do not understand which i tried to say earlier..is that even if i wake up all clear...sometime during the day a zit will sneak up on my lip...i guess my lips are just prone to this...and no its not herpes whoever said that...

i have evoclin foam now which i orginally took before accutane and it seems to be the best thing besides accutane...i am just going to dab a little on my lips every night and see if that helps...

if not in two months i can get back on accutane and try it eating fat foods everyday...

thanks

Well some people don't clear up 100% on tane you know. If you are just getting some zits on your upper lip, I highly doubt your derm will give you tane again just for that!

Cream cheese, good idea. Thanks.

I know it's not ideal but sometimes if I'm flying out the door and don't have time to eat I grab a large Slim Jim to gnaw on before I take my tane.

Days I am able to eat adequate fat with the tane my skin feels dry and my lips are really dry. When I don't get enough fat my skin and lips feel normal. I try to shoot for dry.

When I told my derm about these postings to "take Accutane with a high-fat meal", she just looked at me like "what are you talking about?". She took Accutane herself at 19 (she is in her mid-30s now and has perfect skin). She said that most meals have enough fat in them to absorb the Accutane. Simply take the drug with milk or a regular meal and you'll be OK.

Now, I really do try to watch what I eat, so I don't overindulge my fat just for Accutane. If I have a sandwich for lunch I'll make sure I have cheese, maybe a bit of mayo instead of just plain. I do eat desert almost every night, so after my dinner and desert I'll take my Accutane and I'm sure it's getting absorbed with no problem.

I've been on Accutane for about 5 weeks. The first month was 40mg per day; now I'm on 60mgs (20 in the morning/early afternoon and 40 at night). I have seen incredible results with hardly any negative side effects. The first day I had a headache, and my scalp itched for the first two weeks. My lips are dry, but not severe by any means. My skin is not dry at all... I use a great moisturizer and have been getting facials every week. I also do a lot of hot yoga... so I sweat a lot in a humid environment and I'm sure I'm sweating out a lot of toxins.

I don't think you have to have McDonalds every night just because you are Accutane. Take on a full stomach, little bit of fat, and I think you'll be fine.