Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Scylla

shingles, warts, hives, acne......

I'm not sure where to post this..but I was hoping someone could maybe give me a little insight as to what the hell my body is doing. I've had various skin conditions since age 11. When one was cured, I would get another. It went on for a while.

Age 12: Shingles (lasted for a week)

Age 13: Only at night, my legs would get covered in hives and my feet would swell up tremedously. By morning it was gone. I was cured by taking zyrtec and zantac 75.

Age 14: Consistent sweating. I always sweat from my underarms for no reason. My shirts would be soaked before I even got to school in the mornings. It was fixed with drysol.

Age 15: Warts. Within about one week, I got around 7 warts on my hands. I had them all frozen off.

Age 16: Cystic acne. I still have it but I am currently taking accutane.

It seems as though my body is dealing with some random problem through my skin. I don't know why I've had so many skin disorders. The only thing that stands out is right before I got shingles, my parents began to split and my mom left. Very stressful, depressing time..

But now I am nearly 19, and it seems like theres a big issue..

Any ideas??? :think:

I'm not sure where to post this..but I was hoping someone could maybe give me a little insight as to what the hell my body is doing. I've had various skin conditions since age 11. When one was cured, I would get another. It went on for a while.

Age 12: Shingles (lasted for a week)

Age 13: Only at night, my legs would get covered in hives and my feet would swell up tremedously. By morning it was gone. I was cured by taking zyrtec and zantac 75.

Age 14: Consistent sweating. I always sweat from my underarms for no reason. My shirts would be soaked before I even got to school in the mornings. It was fixed with drysol.

Age 15: Warts. Within about one week, I got around 7 warts on my hands. I had them all frozen off.

Age 16: Cystic acne. I still have it but I am currently taking accutane.

It seems as though my body is dealing with some random problem through my skin. I don't know why I've had so many skin disorders. The only thing that stands out is right before I got shingles, my parents began to split and my mom left. Very stressful, depressing time..

But now I am nearly 19, and it seems like theres a big issue..

Any ideas??? :think:

hi, i can seriously relate, and im not saying this to just to comfort you.

as a baby, i had this deficiency called G6PD deficiency or glucose-6-phosphate-dehydrogenase deficiency. in general my red blood cells die faster than yours. and a symptom of this deficiency is yellowish skin. ( like the simpsons ) and i had to be incubated and had water pumped outta my lungs for a week, tru a tube.

then i had rashes around the pelvis area, for no reason but my skin is sensitive. had to apply cream daily, this is also as a child. then i had eczema all the way till now. it makes my skin all dry and flakey, my frens say i have 'snake-skin' :( and derm told me to apply aqueos cream all over my body everyday after i bathe, its so time consuming, and im too lazy to do it. eczema once covered my whole body literally, in high school, and i would scratch it, and sometimes it would bleed and make me look like i murdered somebody. due to seveere eczema i had to avoid sports and prolonged periods of direct sunlight.

then it got so bad i had to use steroid cream to get rid of all the silly eczema spots, but the steroids ended up affecting my gene transcription, leading to breakouts of acne on my face and chest. hows that for luck?

okay, thats the end of my story. anyway, skin conditions r partly genetic. coupled with environmental factors which can turn specific genes on, like stress or exam pressure. if ur genes define u to have non-oily skin at all, then its near impossible for u to have acne. also, your gene expression affects the amount of testosterone or estrogens u produce, causing physiological changes in ur skin as well. im not gonna repeat everything i studied, but ultimately, its ur genes that affect how you look, what you are. you cant run away from it. but keep in mind that the expression of your genes is also related to your environment. and in ur case and mine, our families have parental problems. i remember my parents fighting and arguing everyday, and i'd end up crying with my mom.

and if u read carefully, u can see that the steroids i used, affected the translation and transcription of my genes, triggering the whole physiological change, leading to increase oil production, hormonal flux, leading to a substantial increase of acne. thats how steroids work, they affect the expression of genes. becareful with drugs like those.

i hope that wasnt too much of a bore, just wanted to share a little, sorry for such a long post. btw, im 2 years yunger that you. :)

Wow that was really interesing! thanks so much.

I'm really sorry to hear about the hell you went through. If only steroids could change the translation of our genes for the better....maybe in the future we can see our gene codes on a computer screen and just press the delete button. click:acne click:DELETE! only in a million years eh?

I have acne scars, when i was a baby i had seizures, i have warts,acne, underarm excessive sweating, alot of beauty marks, i use to get rashes alot too

Guest been13years

I was going to start another thread about my history of skin problems. When I was really little, like from birth to age 5, I had many cases of pneumonia, viral infections, chicken pox so bad I had to be hospitalized for a week, colds, and fevers. Oh, the fevers. I had such bad fevers when I was little that I can remember hallucinations I had when I was 3. No joke, bad fevers where I was delerious and saw rivers of vomit coming through the doggy door and floating water lilies on my bed at night.

Sooooo....I went to the podiatrist today for my plantar warts, which are severe and legion. I've had them for years and just thought I was a lost cause. Well, I still may be a lost cause, but I may have some insight into why. Apparently my immune system just isn't strong enough to shake these warts, according to the podiatrist. It makes sense since everyone else I know who's had them had been able to just shake them off after a few months.

So he prescribed this anti-histamine drug, which is basically generic Tagamet (yeah, for heartburn) in the hopes that it will somehow jump-start my immune system into getting rid of these warts. I told my mom this, and apparently- this is humiliating- she and my physiologist dad had this long conversation about why I have acne and no one else in the family does. They think it's because there was irreparable damage done to my immune system when I was a kid, so I am unable to heal the way other people would.

I think it's an interesting idea but I have no way of knowing how to deal with it.