Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
RA_heartbreaker

Has anyone simply gone cold turkey with meds?

I am curious to know whether anyone in here has become so fed up with a lack of positive results from acne meds (be it OTC, Rx, oral, topical) that you just one day decided to stop with them and see how it played out? I am myself temped to do this...I am simply unconvinced that any of the stuff I am using is really all that effective. And the only way to find out, I suppose, would be to lay off for a while. Though I am a bit nervous that the result will be some sort of terribly unforseen breakout (i really only have pretty mild acne at this point.) I am tempted to just go with face washing and applying lotion if my skin is dry, and lay off all those damn topicals (somehow I see them as doing a number on the skin in the long run).

So, again, has anyone tried something like this before, and if so how'd the results go for you?

Ye i stopped taking minocycine a while back, it was my 2nd course on it, i was still getting spots so i stopped taking it and noticed no difference at all except for feeling better and having more energy. I've done this a few times over the years on different medicines and noticed no change, i think its due to the fact that your body eventually becomes immune to the antibiotic.

How loong have your tried each product for ? you should give them at least 8 weeks to start working properly.

I've actually been thinking about doing that myself, as the BP I have been using has REALLY dried out my face lately. Tonight I think I'm just going to wash my face and then use moisturizer and see how it works out.

i stopped doxycycline. I probably didn't give it enough time to work, i only finished one bottle, but i couldn't take the side effects.

My derm wants me to stop cephalexin cold turkey but I'm afraid I'll breakout badly again(i may not since I've been on accutane for over a month, but i still don't want to risk it.) So far cephalexin has been great. I've been on it for four months. instead of following my derms advice I'm taking it 2x/day (instead of the 3x i was before) and I'm just going to finish off this bottle so the accutane has more time to take effect.

Hopefully I'll be able to stop accutane cold turkey and have no problems.

i stopped doxycycline. I probably didn't give it enough time to work, i only finished one bottle, but i couldn't take the side effects.

My derm wants me to stop cephalexin cold turkey but I'm afraid I'll breakout badly again(i may not since I've been on accutane for over a month, but i still don't want to risk it.) So far cephalexin has been great. I've been on it for four months. instead of following my derms advice I'm taking it 2x/day (instead of the 3x i was before) and I'm just going to finish off this bottle so the accutane has more time to take effect.

Hopefully I'll be able to stop accutane cold turkey and have no problems.

I didn't know doxycycline had side effects, what are they??

Ye i stopped taking minocycine a while back, it was my 2nd course on it, i was still getting spots so i stopped taking it and noticed no difference at all except for feeling better and having more energy. I've done this a few times over the years on different medicines and noticed no change, i think its due to the fact that your body eventually becomes immune to the antibiotic.

How loong have your tried each product for ? you should give them at least 8 weeks to start working properly.

i agree, i did the same thing. however, i did have a small break out this week. this was about 4 months after stopping all the meds. it could of been because i ate junk that week. who knows :razz: .

if you have oily skin like me, as in really oily, i suggest you dont cold turkey. at the very least, cleanse+moisturise.

I only ever went cold turkey once. It was back in 2000 and I was just so pissed off that the 100mg of doxycycline and evening application of Benzamycin wasn't working. I stopped using either of them and my skin did actually clear up and I had a happy summer. After about 2 months though the acne came back. I don't think I'd dare drop any meds now and just go it alone

I stopped everything a few years ago. I tried everything my dermatologist threw at me with no success. It would work for a few days then my skin would go right back to where I started. I gave up and stopped. My skin flared up for a short time then settled down (not perfect but not severe). I went like this until a few weeks ago when I finally decided to start a cleanser again. I guess after 16 years of prescriptions, Dr visits and nothing but frustration, I just needed a break.

I never knew there was any other way? I stopped the pill cold turkey, minocycline cold turkey and accutane cold turkey.

And Celexa. But I don't recommedn that-it was a weird 2 weeks.

Yes. I stopped BP, which I had been using faithfully for years (I'm 35 ) and I also stopped using soap 3 months ago. Water only for 3 months now.

First month acne stayed pretty much the same.

Second month acne was the worse it ever was, covered my face.

Third month, acne is now back to moderate.

If the leftover red marks didn't linger on I'd look the same as when I was using BP.

But the red marks make me look real broke out.

Recently I started the hot water dipping method and have seen real improvement.

If you are going to go topical free I suggest you not expect a miracle or immediate results. Be prepared for a possible bad reaction because if you have previously used tons of gels and cleansers your face may have become accustomed to them and reliant on them. Without them your face may get worse before better like mine did.

Funny thing is, my face was mild in my teens and early twenties when I used nothing. I think the BP and soaps and overwashing made my face worse or weaker. Hopefully I can finally now heal and grow out of acne.

I'm about to go cold turkey with my hydrogen peroxide regimen.

and then what?

Bah, I don't even know.

I'm gonna stick to it, actually. But I'll keep doing the dip (I've realized it's helping more than it's hurting) and the occasional SA moisturizer for my red marks.

I quit taking minocycline around April and I didn't notice any change coming off of it, and I quit using BP & SA products around February, and I initially cleared up a lot, but it wasn't a cure by any means. Right now I'm not really using any acne meds besides Green Cream in addition to the laser treatments I got (that work VERY well).