Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
irideflatland

Should I get a prescription?

Well my mom said she has money left over in her flex plan, and she kind of wants me to see a doctor for my acne. My sister just went 1 or 2 months ago and got a prescription, and the doctor said if I came in then she would give it to me to. I think it was called erythromycine or something like that. My sister only had mild acne, but it's pretty much gone now. I have moderate acne, and pretty oily skin.

Do you think this will work for me, and what about when I stop using it, will my acne be worse?

if OTC stuff isn't clearing your acne you should definitely see a derm. she may give you something different than what your sister has or something topical as well.

Yeah I haven't really tried too much OTC stuff, I'm using B5 right now and I've tried a couple topicals, but nothing really helps.

I just checked and the prescription is Erythrocin. Anybody heard of it?

yeah, try it. it's an antibiotic, I haven't used it but it will probably help you.

Erythromycin can be topical or oral. These two are just two of many very common antibiotic treatments a derm has at his disposal. Unfortunately asking if it will help is kind of pointless. There is no way to know if it will help you until you try it. I've seen hundreds of patients in the pharmacy and some have very good success and some have no improvement what-so-ever.

My experience: I experienced little to no improvement on this drug (both topical and oral). FYI I have mild to moderate acne. Good luck