Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dan

Three drops of jojoba helps crap moisturizers become good ones?

I read a bunch about jojoba oil, both on the boards and online. Jojoba oil is an oil, yes, but it has none of the triglycerides of usual oils and is not comedogenic. On the contrary, so says all of the sources I read, it can be beneficial for oily skin and for acne. Jojoba oil is actually a wax that is liquid at room temperature. This wax has similar properties to sebum. It is postulated that when you apply some jojoba oil, your body is convinced it's producing plenty of sebum and stops overproducing.

That's a lot of bla bla bla. In the real world I decided to give it a shot. Complex15 never worked well enough for me to take care of flakiness. But, for the past week or so I've been adding 3 drops of jojoba oil to it and I'm totally good to go. Zero flakes and zero new zits.

Will this work with other not-so-great-at-preventing-flakiness moisturizers like Olay and all the others? I'll keep experimenting with other moisturizers and see. In the meantime, this might be a cool answer to our moisturizer dilemma.

I got my jojoba oil at "The Scarlet Sage" which is a health food store type place with lots of essential oils. They evidently had it at one GNC in my city too, but at none of the others, so be sure to call whichever store you think might have it to check first. The one I got was organic.

P.S. You can read some jojoba oil ratings on acne.org here: http://acne.org/rate_item.php?item_id=156

Some folks have said they use the jojoba alone before bp. To me it makes more sense to use it with the moisturizer. Is there better or right/wrong way? I'd like to try it but don't want to do it wrong and screw up my skin.

I went through a lot of the suggested moisturizers and none of them helped at all. Now I use only pure jojoba oil and my face is always nice and moist.

Here's how I work it into the regimen:

1. Wash with CSR cleanser as usual

2. Without drying hands or face, apply 4-5 drops of jojoba oil to hands and GENTLY spread over entire face

3. Allow jojoba oil to air dry

4. Apply 1 finger of BP all over face

This eliminates having to add an extra step with water after applying the BP to avoid any excess irritation and seems to help the BP to apply smoothly and evenly.

I went through a lot of the suggested moisturizers and none of them helped at all. Now I use only pure jojoba oil and my face is always nice and moist.

Here's how I work it into the regimen:

1. Wash with CSR cleanser as usual

2. Without drying hands or face, apply 4-5 drops of jojoba oil to hands and GENTLY spread over entire face

3. Allow jojoba oil to air dry

4. Apply 1 finger of BP all over face

This eliminates having to add an extra step with water after applying the BP to avoid any excess irritation and seems to help the BP to apply smoothly and evenly.

yep, i'm currently doing the same. I'm loving jojoba oil for the flakiness.

If your face is still wet when you apply the jojoba, how long do you generally have to wait for that to dry before you can apply bp? And how long do you rub in the jojoba?

If your face is still wet when you apply the jojoba, how long do you generally have to wait for that to dry before you can apply bp? And how long do you rub in the jojoba?

It's wet...a little more than damp. I usually wait 3-5 minutes or until somewhat dry before I apply the bp. I don't rub in the jojoba, just lightly spread it around my face.

i found it: "jojoba oil - like emu oil, a non-comedogenic natural moisturiser derived from the liquid wax of the jojoba nut. Contains high amounts of vitamin E, thereby beneficial for skin healing. It may help with healing red marks, but has very little effect on scarring, however."

i dont know how much credence there is to it, but someone wrote that in the redmarks forum.

I have been using emu oil for my current red marks and it's working.....slowly. Scarring? I'm praying. I'm still trying it out. It's only been 2 weeks. The dryness is definitely better though.

I used jojoba for awhile and loved it. I'm getting back to it and I applied it that way. After cleansing, before bp, while face is still damp. And since jojoba is a carrier oil it doesn't have to be completely dry before putting yr bp on. I generally don't use a moisturizer during the day when I use jojoba, but do use one @ night for the aha properties.

It's almost official at this point. I have tried 3 drops of jojoba oil with several different moisturizers that never took care of flakiness well enough and with the jojoba oil it's good to go. I recommend people who are experiencing dryness try this method. 3 drops mixed in with any facial moisturizer should do the trick.

Don't you find mixing it with the moisturizer leaves you greasy? I tried it and could only manage to do that at night.

I do the same as some of the posters here; I apply a few drops while my face is somewhere between damn and wet, then allow a couple minutes before applying BP. The stuff is fantastic.

It's almost official at this point. I have tried 3 drops of jojoba oil with several different moisturizers that never took care of flakiness well enough and with the jojoba oil it's good to go. I recommend people who are experiencing dryness try this method. 3 drops mixed in with any facial moisturizer should do the trick.

Why not just use the jojoba oil only then?

Dan, when you mix the jojoba oil with the lotion, how do you do this? Do you put lotion in your hands and then the jojoba and rub it together or is there another way?

I'm experimenting with the Neutrogena recommended lotion and jojoba oil. Usually the Neutrogena doesn't do squat for me, but the Lac-Hydrin-5 I was using burned too much and turned my face red.

Advice on how to mix the jojoba with the lotion is appreciated

Great to see you having success with this idea Dan.

It would still be great if you could try the Jojoba Oil before the BP and right after the cleansing.

I've been using it for quite some time now (few weeks) and it's been working incedibly, I moisturiser very rarely and I rarely use sunscrren, because Jojoba Oil has a natural SPF of 4.

Jojoba Oil is an obvious solution for those with dry skin, yet people are still complaining about flakes. Why?

Because NOBODY knows about Jojoba Oil!!

Why wouldn't a mod or somebody sticky this topic and name it something like:

"Try this, if nothing else has worked for your dryness"

Or just create a new topic regarding Jojoba Oil and sticky it.

Perhaps something like this should also be mentioned on the main page, or maybe a link should be posted in the FAQ, for those with very dry skin.

It's like finding a cure for AIDS, then burying it in a cave.

I was using jojoba oil but stopped cuz I didnt want to compromise the CSR.

Jojoba alone wasnt enough to get rid of flakes, but I liked it in the morning under makeup (kept me less oily than moisturizer) and at night I used a regular moisturizer to ban the flakes. Maybe I will try jojoba WITH the moisturizer now. I am using Lac-hydrin 5 moisturizer now that my Cetaphil has run out. The cetaphil felt too thick on my face, I think I like the lac-hydrin 5 better already. Jojoba oil feels very light weight & dries quickly, IMO. I really like it. I think I will incorporate it again...

I was using jojoba oil but stopped cuz I didnt want to compromise the CSR.

Jojoba alone wasnt enough to get rid of flakes, but I liked it in the morning under makeup (kept me less oily than moisturizer) and at night I used a regular moisturizer to ban the flakes. Maybe I will try jojoba WITH the moisturizer now. I am using Lac-hydrin 5 moisturizer now that my Cetaphil has run out. The cetaphil felt too thick on my face, I think I like the lac-hydrin 5 better already. Jojoba oil feels very light weight & dries quickly, IMO. I really like it. I think I will incorporate it again...

I can't cite the source, but I remember reading somewhere that jojoba actually helps with the absorption of BP. For me the coolest thing about jojoba oil was how fast it helps eliminate flakiness. I couldn't even smile without my skin cracking and flaking while I was doing the regimen. After I started using jojoba though, in only a few days I barely had to worry about flakiness at all. When I use jojoba, it's pretty straight foward. I just rub a few drops in right after washing my face, while it's still wet. I don't use that much, probably only 5 - 7 drops for my entire face. Some people wait for ten minutes than pat their face off with a towel if their face is too oily, to remove the excess oil that wasn't absorbed. Personally, I don't need to do this. After the jojoba is absorbed( which I usually give 5- 10 minutes for ) I apply my topicals.

Does anyone have any experience with combining the jojoba oil with Dan's BP? To me it seems this would further help the BP absorb. I started doing it yesterday and it seemed easier to spread but it's obviously too early to make any conclusive statements about its effectiveness.

I put on Jojoba Oil, then apply Dan's BP in a few minutes.

So basically the skin is still oily from Jojoba Oil - the BP can be smeared around much easier that way, it mixes with the oil and probably absorbs further in the skin then it would without Jojoba.

Been doing this for 2-3 weeks, it's great.

I switched from moisturizer to jojoba oil about a month ago. I use about 4 drops on my damp face. Then I apply Dan's BP. I have had some problems with the BP balling up if the jojoba is not absorbed completely into my skin. Overall, I like jojoba oil as my one-and-only moisturizer.

That's great to know that jojoba oil has a natural SPF of 4. I was a little worried and have been wearing hats more lately, just to be on the safe side when going out into the sun.

I just changed the regimen to include jojoba oil. I put it on page 2 of the regimen as well as on the findingsupplies page and on the aha.html page. I think it's really good stuff.