Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
lots of ice cream

Immune to tetracycline

So I took tetracycline for 6 months last year. Everything was fine and my skin cleared up completely. A few weeks after I stopped taking it my skin started detereorating again. Eventually, I went to the doctors office again, and was prescribed more tetracycline as well as some differin.

11 weeks later, I have yet to see any effects. In fact I've been breaking out a lot these last few weeks (something I always seem to do in autumn :( damn summer sun), so I'm beginning to think that I'm probably immune to tetracycline, and I have begun looking for alternatives

I've been on CSR for almost two years, trying different combinations of cleansers/bp creams/moisturizers, and it doesn't seem to be enough. My plan before being immune was to wait until the tetracycline kicked in and thart using differin. I'm thinking I might try to get ahold of some tetracycline derivate(although apparently we dont even have minocycline here :cry: ), thinking that I might not be immune to that.

What do you people think I should try?

Or should I just try sticking to the tetracycline longer?

Yeah I would like to know that to, first time I used my acne cleared up for about 75% (my face was almost clear, and I had a less bacne). But I have started to take it again after the summer, and I don't see any result :(

hey there

i was on oxytetraccyline for almost 2 years. the first say 6 months or so it worked pretty good and i wasn't too obsessed with my skin, just small hormonal breakoutshere and there. it gradually started to lose its effect probably after about ayear or so but for some stupid reaon i stuck with it thinking it would improve..it didnt. chances are it might not work again for you, either yr acne has progressed a bit since last time or it just wont respond to it again. there are loads of other antibiotics you can try though so perhaps think about switching. if you've had decent results with one anti biotic theres no reason why u wouldnt with a different one. good luck

I just talked to my doctor and she seemed pretty clueless about the whole thing. Could you people name a few antibiotics used for this sort of thing? As I said minocycline isnt an option :/, and im pretty sure that doxycycline isnt either.

Tetracycline,minocin and doxycycline are all from the same group of antibiotics if I remember correct. You could try as you suggested minocin or you could try and use one such as Erymax, trimethoprim and I think clindamycin whch are from different groups of antis. You will not be immune to the tetracycline but your skin may have developed a resistance. It should work again after some time off it but you will probably develop a resistance again faster than before so best to rotate treatment and confuse your skin. It is a lot of trial and error. Zinc is supposed to help with resistance a bit. Topically zynert was good for me for a while but resistance is a problem with this as well.

Hope that makes some sense.

Tetracycline,minocin and doxycycline are all from the same group of antibiotics if I remember correct. You could try as you suggested minocin or you could try and use one such as Erymax, trimethoprim and I think clindamycin whch are from different groups of antis. You will not be immune to the tetracycline but your skin may have developed a resistance. It should work again after some time off it but you will probably develop a resistance again faster than before so best to rotate treatment and confuse your skin. It is a lot of trial and error. Zinc is supposed to help with resistance a bit. Topically zynert was good for me for a while but resistance is a problem with this as well.

Hope that makes some sense.

He could import Doxy or Mino...the diff groups will work...they're all part of the same family, but work diff. He can go back on Tetra in about 6 months..your body gradually falls backwards after you stop taking the drug...so tetra will be a new thing to your body in roughly 6 months..

same thing happen to me bro, I got that stuff the first time and great as an antibiotic it was doing it's job, then again it faded I went into accutane, then 4 months after tane I got acne back in my face, then I decided a year later to get accutane again, my Dr wouldn't get it but I didn't give up and I got my accutane on my own, how? online baby, but doxy wouldn't cut it for me so...I gave up on it the second time I tried it.

So I took tetracycline for 6 months last year. Everything was fine and my skin cleared up completely. A few weeks after I stopped taking it my skin started detereorating again. Eventually, I went to the doctors office again, and was prescribed more tetracycline as well as some differin.

11 weeks later, I have yet to see any effects. In fact I've been breaking out a lot these last few weeks (something I always seem to do in autumn :( damn summer sun), so I'm beginning to think that I'm probably immune to tetracycline, and I have begun looking for alternatives

I've been on CSR for almost two years, trying different combinations of cleansers/bp creams/moisturizers, and it doesn't seem to be enough. My plan before being immune was to wait until the tetracycline kicked in and thart using differin. I'm thinking I might try to get ahold of some tetracycline derivate(although apparently we dont even have minocycline here :cry: ), thinking that I might not be immune to that.

What do you people think I should try?

Or should I just try sticking to the tetracycline longer?

How can you be immune to something that shuts down your immune system? That was the big T does. Plus, its an antibiotic (so it kills bacteria)... but the thing is... when you stop using it, the symptoms return. It is not a permanent.

I dont believe that your body does 'fall back' after 6 months and that resistances are lost. Resistance builds up becuase the only acne bacteria living on your skin are ones which aren't destroyed by the antibiotic. The ones that are killed off, don't get a chance to reproduce or recolonize the skin. I was 100% clear through using benzamycin gel and 200mg per day of Doxycycline, but then I went back on it 2 years later and it did nothing for me.

Alright I talked to my doc and she said she couldnt prescribe any other tetracycline :( Anyway I'm thinking of asking for some Duac (benzoyl peroxide and clindamycin gel). Do you think that would prevent me from getting a bad breakout from the differin?

PS I wouldnt mind a fast reply :P

Guest Guest

In my experience if your acne requires oral antibiotics to keep it clear then it is unlikely than any topical will keep it clear on its own.

Well that's bad news :(.

I was kindof hoping it would help prevent a breakout as things are pretty calm now anyway (just 2-3 papules a week that disappear after a few days). So apparently the tetracycline is helping after all, just not 100%.

Perhaps if I keep taking the Tetracycline the Duac could help push my skin towards becoming completely clear?

My other options (but I'll have to find another doc :/) are Lymecycline and Oxytetracycline. Does anyone know anything about these? Think I should go for them instead?

Guest Guest_stidrowk_*

hi is there anyone here who has had extended success with tetra?