Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Shaylee

Best/Worst topical antibiotic troops?

There are only three that I know of:

Erythromycin

Clindamycin

Topicycline (topical tetracycline)

Don't know much about tetracycline but erythromycin and clindamycin work just aswell as each other until you become resistant to them. Also resistance to erythromycin is often also associated with resistance to clindamycin too.

cool well i knew about erythromycin & clindamycin but not topicycline (topical tetracycline).

you used any of these?

i also heard about benzamycin (which is 3% erythromycin & 5% benzoyl peroxide) and benzaclin (which is 1% clindamycin & 5% benzoyl peroxide)

heard any feedback from these?? sposed to be good cause helps stop resistance to the antibiotics.

also heard the above with a retin a can be even better...

bp as we know is aimed at comedogensis and p acnes, the antibiotics also help with the p acnes and the retin a is sposed to help all - from the comedogensis, to sebum production and p acnes AND inflammation.

could be a "battle plan" from hell. attacking each of the areas attributing to the acne.

im off to see the derm this week - having just yesterday come off on 3 (VERY SUCCESSFUL) years on minocyline/doxycycline. but i want to give my body a break from the oral medication and try a topical plan.

im thinking.....

am - benzamycin (providing make up can be worn after applying)

pm - retin a (or maybe tazorac)

maybe even use beta hydrox acid before each to help the above penetrate to where its needed (will be wary, take it slowly and see how i react to one thing at a time of course)

then maybe try the milk of magnesia mask to help absorb oil (if there is any left after all this!!)

will still use cetaphil cleanser (very soft and gentle) but will need a less oily moisteriser than the cetaphil one i am currently using - heard good reviews on olay.

congrats to anyone how got through this essay - but!!!

wot ya thinking? about from this chick cook koo!!

Yeah i used erythromycin (zineryt) and clindamycin, not been on clindamycin long enough to see results. Erythromycin worked really well for about 6 months though.

I've also been on benzamycin, didnt work too well for me, but i only found out after i'd used it that its supposed to be kept in the fridge.

Retin-A was one of the worst things i used. I used it for about 8 months and all it did was make my skin red and dry, no matter how little of it i used. It did absolutely nothing to stop pimples but healed old ones quicker.

I'll just give my opinion on ALL antibiotics for acne - topical or oral (I've done both)

None of them did ANYTHING For me...I'm sure they work for some, but never did for me.

Metrogel is very strong and I believe only used to treat acne rosacea.

At the same time I dont see why it cant be used to treat acne vulgaris.

Can only be prescribed by a doctor.

I used to use benzamycin years ago along with (tetra. oral) and that's all i needed, but i was 17 yrs. old. I know you really can't wear makeup over it because it's really thick but i used it in the evening applied it all over and when i cleared up i only used it as a spot treatment-it was the best i can't say enough about it especially if you are young. However i'm now 28 and i finally got my doctor to prescribe it for me again and since my skin is really sensitive, it actually was too harsh, which really sucks because like i said it was the only thing topically that actually made my skin clear. Hope that helped sorry i blabbed on so much!

foggyhorse - tks, interested to know more about your history (if your happy to of course)

did you use these all treatments individually or did you combine - where did you start - how old are you - what type of skin do you have - where are you prone to acne?

the new benzamycin and benzaclin dont need to be kept in the fridge anymore (thats a very good thing me thinks!)

how long you been on clindamycin for? best of luck with it!!

ta muchly, appreciate your time for sure!

metro gel eh? never heard of that one. just did a quick search on it. is that what you use circle? i assume you suffer from rosacea then? will run that by my derm this week too - cheers for that!

cute piccy mercer!! (is that your real name by the way?) sorry the antibiotics dont work for you, ive been really lucky with orals so far. hope youve found something else that works for you.

mkplvr - you blabbed so much?! hardly! i love to know more of your history too....i honestly believe oral antibiotics are the most effective for me and that the topical i use with it, differin, does very little (if anything) but since i've stopped the antibiotic this week - only time will tell and hopefully my worst fears will not be realised! NO MAKEUP with benzamycin?! OH CRAP - will have to rethink my plan then....what about if i switch to retin a in the morning, can makeup be worn over that????

im 27 - problem started a few years ago (perfect skin before that), oily skin in t zone area now and get the type of pimples that let you know they are coming...you know the tingley feeling and then the red lump and then they are there for ages!

tks all biggrin.gif

Here's a brief descriptionn of my acne and my treatments. I get acne all over my face and rarely some cysts. I've had acne since i was 14 and now im 20. The treatments i listed before were in order of when i used them. All worked apart from azelaic acid and retin-a, i definitely wouldnt reccommend retin-a but most people seem to have some success with it.

Only been on clindamycin about a week , i think it may be starting to work but that might also be the b5 starting to kick in (on week 12 now)

The combined therapies i've been on are:

Minocycline with quinoderm (5% BP)

Minocycline with Retin-A

Trimethoprim with azelaic acid

Trimethoprim with clindamycin

Only been on the

Here's a brief descriptionn of my acne and my treatments. I get acne all over my face and rarely some cysts. I've had acne since i was 14 and now im 20. The treatments i listed before were in order of when i used them. All worked apart from azelaic acid and retin-a, i definitely wouldnt reccommend retin-a but most people seem to have some success with it.

Only been on clindamycin about a week , i think it may be starting to work but that might also be the b5 starting to kick in (on week 12 now)

The combined therapies i've been on are:

Minocycline with quinoderm (5% BP)

Minocycline with Retin-A

Trimethoprim with azelaic acid

Trimethoprim with clindamycin

Only been on the

i cant help but wonder how much difference the topicals ever made??

for me, i know the only things to have worked 100% have been the oral antibiotics and maybe thats what works for you too??

do you get 100% results?

fh - so u used topical ery as a stand alone with 100% results and then used mino combined for 90% results and now trim with clin and so far only 50%.

& the ery worked fab for 6 months - how long did the mino combo work? is that the order u did them in?

thought about trying ery again? or benz properly this time?

i guess you have to give the trim/clind combo a fair go first though..

So since Shaylee thought i was hardly blabbering away (TY much more comfortable) sharing my history. I'm 28 and also had perfect skin up until about 17 then i went on tetra. (oral) and used benzamycin as a topical. I went on the pill as well and i cleared up totally. So when i was 22 i went off the pill and then my skin was starting to breakout bigtime. So i got the proactiv stuff (infomercial) and it helped somewhat but then i went for a facial at an "upscale" spa and the esthetician told me my skin was inflamed and i should use the line that they used so i spent 400$ on this stuff and really thought it would help. NOT. Anyways, after reading Paula Begoun books i realized i was probably making my breakouts worse by using $$$ products that had so much fragrance and not to mention irritating ingredients that i went back to the basics. I'm on Adoxa, Zyrtec(allergy) but i don't use any prescription topicals only because for me personally they make my acne worse.(I've used diff.,clind. and benzamycin was the only thing that worked). But for now i do simple routine:

Phisoderm deep clean(sensitive)

Ultima II skin renew. toner(Sa 2%)

AM/Cetaphil Moist. w/Spf15

PM/Paula's Choice BP

PM/Paula's Choice Skin Renew. Moist. (if needed)

I have almost cleared up totally to the point that i won't have to wear makeup but it's only been like 2 weeks that i've been on Adoxa so we will see. My acne is always in the same spots, they go away and then in the same spot they come back so i guess i'm just used to it now. Whew, ok now i'm done.

I use Brevoxyl cleanser and gel in the morning and night and it has seemed to work for me....but it can make your face red and dry...but it works. Just use a moisturizer.

Hey there, just wondering if any of you guys had the same flawless effects from zineryt as i did for the first 8 months or so, recently ive built up a resistance, im assuming that people who got the same effects from zineryt as i did are gonna have a very similar skin type to me so i was just wondering if any one had used anything after the resistance built up that was equally as effective, sre ther must be something out there?????

please help,

cheers