Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dogsncats

skinny with acne?

Okay, here's my situation. When I eat as much as I want to satisfy my appetite my butt is fairly full. When I restrict calories slightly to be slim, my breasts and butt go down immediately and then I can fit into very small sizes (like 2).

My acne is food related, but I've noticed that when I'm at my natural set point weight my skin is all around much better and I don't have to be nearly as strict with diet to maintain decent skin. However, then I become self conscious about my rear end, believing it to be too soft and full. My small pants fit more tightly. My larger chest doesn't bother me because I think larger breasts are considered acceptable in society.

New research has shown that lower body fat in women is actually anti-inflammatory and makes estrogen- could this be why my facial skin is so much healthier when I weigh a bit more? Could a society which rewards thinness also be responsible for a rise in female acne cases? Many thin actresses like Kyra Knightly and Gwyneth Paltrow have to take medications to have clear skin. Hmmm...coincidence or...not?

Could this also be why teenagers have acne? Their hormones increase to the level of an adult, but their body size is still usually very light and small. Maybe outgrowing acne means becoming larger to accomodate the hormones.

When I see photographs of my ancestors from the beginning of the century, they were all rounded and 'healthy' looking and none had obvious acne. Their job was to prepare healthy meals and eat heartily. Maybe simply eating well would cure many women of acne. Many young women think they eat alot, but they don't. Everything's distorted now.

I used to be about 54 kg (119 lbs), but since June/July I've lost a bit of weight for some unknown reason. I'm currently about 48 kg (105.8 lbs). My acne has worsened significantly in the area around my mouth. I don't know if it's the weight change but I can't think of any other cause.

I'm 5'4 and only 100 lbs. I think I would have to eat all day long to gain any weight. I wish I could gain weight, I have noticed that many people on acne.org report they are skinny or thin

Hey Raindrops:

I am just like you, 5'3 and 100lbs. I was 108 before I started becoming so paranoid of what I eat all the time. I NEVER go hungry but I eat only raw and fresh foods with the occasional slip up of ice cream or dessert :shhh: I am getting concerned about the weight loss. I am "okay" with the way I am right now, but if I go under 100 lbs, It will be alarming for me.

Like the thread starter, I have lost my butt :doh: I also believe that becoming too thin can lead to breakouts because of the excessive weight loss/fat loss. But I think it depends on the way you loose it. If you go and starve yourself and only consume weight loss shakes, bars, pill, or only salads and fruits, that is what would cause the acne because that is the UNHEALTHY way to do it.

However, if you are eating healthier foods, getting your vitamins, proteins, good fats, good carbs, and nutirents... I think that it wouldnt be as bad

But thats just my opinion ;)

Once again it looks like being skinny + high metabolism = acne!

There has to be something to it, and one day I think that will come out into the open.

I'm 17, 5'6 and 105-110lbs, biological male. I would be considered extremely underweight.

Food screws with your endocrine system (rBGH, etc.). Once this happens, it can be rather hard to retain a balance. It's a lot easier to damage your body than it is to repair it. It takes time. There are other aspects, too.

Personally, I've always thought that every case of disease is unique.

Once again it looks like being skinny + high metabolism = acne!

5'5 120ish also high meta cant gain weight unless i hit the gym and work out and the highest i've hit was 127 haha

but i kno plenty of ppl in my boat with out acne

Could also mean insulin resistance.....your either underweight or overweight.

Its associated with PCOS and can lead to diabetes.

Symptoms include acne....also other symptoms could be a darkening of skin in some areas...ie groin, underarm (go check it out ;) ) see if theres a SLIGHT underarm colour when arms placed by ur side, also on elbows knuckles etc....

I only found all this out when researchin PCOS.

I agree there has to be some kind of direct relation between so many skinny people having acne. I'm one of those people that can't gain weight either.

the skin on my penis is kinda darker than the rest of my body is that normal? :redface:

Personally im not too sure, PCOS is a female problem so i wouldnt be too worried if your male...but of course anyone could be insulin resistant...but i doubt your penis would signal that

PCOS and Skin Conditions

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Many women with Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS), also called Polycystic Ovarian Disease, may suffer from a number of skin conditions, like acne, pimples and oily skin. Acne is usually found around the face (especially along the jaw line), chest and back.

Other PCOS symptoms can include skin tags, which are thick lumps of skin sometimes as large as raisins. They are usually found in the armpits, the bra line or neck and can easily be removed by a dermatologist.

PCOS can also cause darkening and thickening of the skin around the neck, groin, underarms or skin folds. This condition, called Acanthosis Nigricans is a sign of insulin abnormality, which is an underlying cause of PCOS.

Insulin Resistance lies at the center of PCOS by preventing the efficient conversion of food into energy because of a vastly reduced number of insulin receptor sites on the surface of each cell. Too few receptor sites cause glucose and insulin levels in the blood stream to become severely unbalanced, leading to an increase in free-floating glucose, which is sent to the liver and converted to excess body fat. This can result in weight gain and obesity, which, in turn, can lead not only to PCOS but also to other serious health conditions like Cardiovascular Disease and Type 2 Diabetes

(Starrybabe21 - Its highly possible if you have diabetes in the family you could have PCOS!!!!)

Because the symptoms vary so widely and not all sufferers display all the symptoms, doctors still very often misdiagnose PCOS. In fact, 8 out of every 10 women with PCOS could have Insulin Resistance, resulting in higher-than-normal insulin levels which may act on the ovaries by increasing male hormones.

The end result is that a PCOS sufferer may stop ovulating or shorter, lighter periods, in addition to gaining weight, developing the skin conditions outlined above and suffering from decreased sex drive, high cholesterol levels, exhaustion or lack of mental alertness, depression and anxiety.

(Note - you DO NOT have to be overweight!!!)

You must rely on a multi-faceted solution that will address both PCOS and Insulin Resistance. A complete system, including neutraceuticals (vitamins, herbs and minerals that are disease specific), a realistic exercise program, nutritional guidance (GI DIET!!!) and a support network that will help you change unhealthy lifestyle choices, is required to address the issues presented by these syndromes.

Symptoms of Insulin Resistance-linked Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome are targeted by the Insulite PCOS System, which includes an exclusive formula called PCOS+, which uses ingredients like saw palmetto to decrease circulating testosterone levels in order to reverse unwanted acne.

Im off tomoro to Doc to find out :cry:

i don't know...my huband is way underweight ( 6 ft, 115 lbs) and has perfect skin. My metabolism is much slower and i have skin problems.

I'll add another case of "skinny with acne." Use to eat candy, soda, etc. etc. all the time and never gain weight... but always the acne...

I'll add another case of "skinny with acne." Use to eat candy, soda, etc. etc. all the time and never gain weight... but always the acne...

Yup same here

Yes same here, I want to gain weight the healthy way!!! grrrr I am a male 130pounds and 5'10 and it sucks

the skin on my penis is kinda darker than the rest of my body is that normal? :redface:

Lol.....I tell you why and its proven:

The places you touch the most are more darker due to dirt, etc.....try not masturbating pal :lol:

That's a pretty retarded thing to say, completely untrue.

Natural Hormonal Enhancment By Rob Faigin is a good book to read if your looking to balance hormones and get the correct body composition.

Around when I started to get acne was when I was a my skinniest point I have ever been at. My boyfriend keeps saying that it could be related to my wieght, but I dont know. I am trying to gain weight and am currently sitting at about 115lbs, and I am 5'6''. I really think that my acne is all do to multivitamins. But I also wonder if maybe whats in the multi vitamins is just to much for my wieght. ?? So many questions just not enough answers. I get frustrated that doctors dont know anything.