Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
kittenkaboodle

Calling all Accutane Gurus...

I just started month 5 out of a 6 month course of accutane...60mg a day. Did anyone experience no peeling whatsoever? My skin is what I'd call normal right now. It used to be insanely oily, but I'm afraid that if my skin is not dry, then it's not completely doing the job. I also have some deep cysts that have always come back on several places on my face...accutane is keeping them at bay right now, but I have a bad feeling that because I can still see them a bit and my face is not shedding off, I will look awful when I come off of accutane. Any advice? Thanks.

Are you taking your dose with fat? No dryness at that dosage is somewhat unusual, although not unheard of, and does not necessarily mean that the course will fail. Just finish it out, give it a couple months and see what happens.

I weigh 73kgs, and did 40mg for first 2 months and then for the remaining 6 months I was on 80/40mg alternating every other day so that's like 60mg per day. And I wasn't one bit dry although I was nearly on 1mg/kg per day. I wasn't oily either just regular skin. And I too took the medication only with fat like cheese, bologne, pizza and I'm still one skinny mofo lol.

Only 80% get dry skin on accutane which means not everybody so you'll be fine.

again, feel like I'm copying beentheredonethat, but that does seem odd....

try having a very high fat meal (like McD's or something) and taking your full dose..... see if you notice dryness the next day.

also if you can, I'd speak with your derm about it. When I was on my second month my side effects all but went away and there was no dryness, so my doctor upped the dose.

My derm said it's fine, just to have regular skin as long as there is no oil. But being on tane anyway even if your dose is like 10mg per day you still can't have oil. Some people just don't get that side effect that's all. I did have chapped lips though but not bad either only once a night vasiline was needed and all good. Look at the side effects list below taken from a derm's site, and not even everybody gets chapped lips.

Common side effects include Chapped lips (90%), dry skin and itching (80%), nasal mucosa dryness and mild nosebleeds (80%), eye irritation (40%), muscle and joint aches (15%), temporary hair thinning (<10%), dermatitis (7%), gastrointestinal and urinary tract symptoms (5%), headache (5%), sun sensitivity (5%), decreased night vision (1%), depression (<1%).

Don't worry too much about the peeling issue. I'm on month 7. This is my last month on Accutane and I've never once experienced any peeling anywhere on my face or body. The only dryness that I've experienced are both from my lips and eyes. I'm on a constant steady dose of 40 mg's daily for 7 months.

Wow thanks so much for all the replies. I am very conscious about taking my Accutane with a fatty meal (at least 5-10 grams). My lips have been somewhat chapped since the beginning of the course, but no peeling or real need to moisturize, though I do anyway.

I asked my derm if he would up my dose, and he said this is what I should stay on. I didn't taper my dose up either...I went straight to 60 mg. I weigh 120 lbs.

I guess I'll just cross my fingers that all will be well when I come off my course.

I also had a theory that maybe people with moderate oil get dry skin, but someone with as much oil as I have may never be totally dry...we'll see :pray:

I was ridiculously oily pre-tane... so when I took accutane I didn't get dry. I really didn't even need moisturizer. And I think my skin turned out okay... I just passed the 3-months post accutane mark and I have had one zit in 6 months. :dance:

I went straight to 60 mg. I weigh 120 lbs.

You are already slightly above 1mg/kg dose. 120lbs = 55kgs. I weigh 77kg (170lbs.) and was on 80mg a day. Also slightly over 1mg/kg. And guess what I wasn't dry either, just normal skin. That's good for us no moisturizer needed :)

I have read there was some dude here on 140mg or more per day (no typing mistake here) and he only weighed something like 160lbs and was just a little dry on this chin and around his mouth and that's it and no other side effects at all. And another person I read took like 30mg per day and weighed like around 150lbs and had bad side effects and bad dryness. This just shows how everybody handles this drug.

I know it's too soon to be thinking similarly (I'm only just barely one week in), but my skin doesn't seem dry either, though it is clearing. I'm about 155lb (160 if I've been strength training a lot) and only taking 60mg / day. I do. however, live in a particularly moist climate. Also, I have great faith in the moisturizing products I use (particularly effective for skin stress while mountaineering and adventure-racing).

I was reading somewhere that it's a person's cumulative dose that matters most (however, there is some debate about the long-term efficacy of low-dose, long-course Accutane). Oy vey! I really don't want to have to pay for another course of Accutane again, so I hope 5 months at 60 mg / day is going to work! The calculation works out right if I do the math.

Well, let's be positive. I have confidence that we'll all have great success! Take care.

Bonne Chance!

-Martine

I know it's too soon to be thinking similarly (I'm only just barely one week in), but my skin doesn't seem dry either, though it is clearing. I'm about 155lb (160 if I've been strength training a lot) and only taking 60mg / day. I do. however, live in a particularly moist climate. Also, I have great faith in the moisturizing products I use (particularly effective for skin stress while mountaineering and adventure-racing).

I was reading somewhere that it's a person's cumulative dose that matters most (however, there is some debate about the long-term efficacy of low-dose, long-course Accutane). Oy vey! I really don't want to have to pay for another course of Accutane again, so I hope 5 months at 60 mg / day is going to work! The calculation works out right if I do the math.

Well, let's be positive. I have confidence that we'll all have great success! Take care.

Bonne Chance!

-Martine

I have about the same weight like you and I did 60mg for 6 months, do the same because after 5 months you are just about right but 6 months is perfect

I have about the same weight like you and I did 60mg for 6 months, do the same because after 5 months you are just about right but 6 months is perfect

Thanks for the advice! I feel more comfortable with that idea -- as much as I'd like this to be over and done with, I really don't want to have to go through it again. I'll see what my GP says, and will try to get another month in the end. Take care!

-Martine

OK bad news...over the last day or two, I have 4 new zits that are pretty substancial. I'm really hoping this is not a sign of things to come. I don't know what else I can do anymore. I'm thinking about using retin-A at night too just because accutane doesn't over-irritate. Grrrrrr... :evil:

I don't care if my face isn't peeling off, but getting new breakouts this late in the game is not cool.

OK bad news...over the last day or two, I have 4 new zits that are pretty substancial. I'm really hoping this is not a sign of things to come. I don't know what else I can do anymore. I'm thinking about using retin-A at night too just because accutane doesn't over-irritate. Grrrrrr... :evil:

I don't care if my face isn't peeling off, but getting new breakouts this late in the game is not cool.

No don't use anything! I didn't start clearing good till month 5! I was on tane for 8 months for this reason! And even now I ended my course couple of days ago, I had a few days before my last day like several outbreaks that came out of nowhere but all minor, and only 2 on my face the rest on my left shoulder and neck but otherwise I'm good and you will be good too :)

i'm on 80mg...and i hardly have any dryness...the oil is gone, but I have none of the terrible dryness everyone talks about..

I also use dan's BP!!!

i guess everyone's different

Hey!

I didn't get dry at ALL throughout my tane course, and I topped out at 60 mg as well. My skin was simpy oil free, perfectly in balance. I used moisturizer more BEFORE Accutane than I did while on it. It was weird, lol.

But I experienced incredible clearing and it has stayed that way for the most part for the past 6 months. Oil has returned but not as bad before tane.

Also, three weeks before I finished I got a huge (read: HUGE) cyst on my back. Since I was also taking Accutane for my back acne, this really really concerned me. However, it was the last zit I've seen on my back in over six months. I guess my acne just wanted to go out with a bang, lol. Don't worry, everything will be fine. :)