Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
amos11

Acne and Pregnancy

I started to break out when I was about 18. After trying many topical creams and antibiotics my Derm finally put me on birth control. This pretty much took care of the problem until recently. My husband and I decided we wanted to try and get pregnant about a year ago. I went off of the birth control pill and my acne has steadily gotten worse. Now I am pregnant (yay!) and in my second trimester and it is out of control. My Derm says there is nothing safe I can use expect Azelaic acid which has done NOTHING for my skin. I am so sad I have to deal with this again at the age of 24! I should be going through the pregnancy glow, not the pregnancy pimples!

Anyways, my OB says is safe to use BP on my skin while pregnant. Does anybody know about this? I am kind of nervous to try it, but at this point I am desperate. I don't even look like myself anymore and it's depressing.

My husband has been so encouraging, he always says I look beautiful, but I am so self conscious all the time - I hate feeling this way!

Any advice/knowledge about this subject would be much appreciated.

Thanks so much!

"Benzoyl peroxide topical is the FDA pregnancy category C. This means that it is not known whether benzoyl peroxide topical will be harmful to an unborn baby. Do not use this medication without first talking to your doctor if you are pregnant or could become pregnant during treatment.

It is not known whether benzoyl peroxide passes into breast milk. Do not use benzoyl peroxide topical without first talking to your doctor if you are breast-feeding a baby."

Found that info on multiple sites. I don't see why it would effect the fetus. With your doctor's opinon, the choice is yours. The safest bet is to not use it. You can always use it after birth.

I'm pretty sure its safe - as i don't believe it goes farther than skin deep into your body - however I would definetely call your doctor to check. Btw - remember that you are your own harshest critic: i used to think i was so ugly because i had acne on my checks and forehead - but looking back i realize that no one else cared or even noticed for that matter - and if your husband says you're beautiful then you should listen to him because, atleast for me, when I say things like that to my girlfriend I mean it =).

I'm pretty sure its safe - as i don't believe it goes farther than skin deep into your body - however I would definetely call your doctor to check. Btw - remember that you are your own harshest critic: i used to think i was so ugly because i had acne on my checks and forehead - but looking back i realize that no one else cared or even noticed for that matter - and if your husband says you're beautiful then you should listen to him because, atleast for me, when I say things like that to my girlfriend I mean it =).

Thanks for the encouragment.

It's nice to know that others have felt the same way and struggle with the same things. After reading some of the people's stories on here I am starting to feel like I am not alone and that's nice.

My OB did say it was OK - but I have read all over the internet that it is category C which means it has not been proven to be safe.

I think I will try a little bit to start out.

I've also heard good things about baking soda. Maybe I should try that first. I would hate to jeapordize the health of my baby because I want to look better - that seems so selfish.

On the other hand, if my OB says it's OK, shouldn't I trust her? I guess I should just weight the benefits and risks - if there are any???!

I'll keep you posted on what happens with my skin. Who knows? Maybe hormones will naturally make things better.

Ok, so I started using the baking soda every night (for the past three nights) because I am afraid to use the BP with my pregnancy.

It seems to be working OK. I think that most of the pimples I had are starting to come to the surface. A lot of them (like 5 or 6!) have come to a head and I don't know what to do??!!

Should I try to use warm water to drain them?

I don't want to make them worse.

I was on birth control before my first baby too so my skin was pretty clear. Then I broke out during my pregnancy, especially on my right jaw line. I can still see the scars in direct sunlight and he's 3 now! About the time he turned 1 my skin cleared up, I was so happy! Til I got pregnant again LOL. I had bad skin again during my second pregnancy and also had a wierd rash all up my right side and back. (Some of those spots still come and go, I think it's hormones) So my skin's been a rollercoaster over the last few years. I'm starting the CSR today :dance: I did use BP during both my pregnancies, when my skin was at its worst probably the 2nd trimester :D Nothing as intense as the CSR tho - just a spot treatment. Used in moderation, you (and your baby) should be fine.

If you keep up with the baking soda, that's good too. If it is too harsh as a wash, try making a spot treatment - dip a q-tip in peroxide then into baking soda, it will make a little ball you can pat onto the spot and let it dry. Leave it as long as you want - this is great if you are home alone and don't have to wear makeup etc. Oh and Congratulations!!!