Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
strider1

Does the CSR cleanser make you dry?

Does the CSR cleanser make you dry?  

41 members have voted

1. 1. Does the CSR cleanser make you dry?

• yes
    • yes, only mouth area though
    • no

2nd answer should have been, mainly the mouth area, because it does make other parts somewhat dry.

Im just wondering how many people the cleanser makes them dry, and who it doesnt.

It seems to dry me out a lot. If I use as much as Dan recommends, my face feels like it will crack into 2 pieces when I move it... If I use only a tiny amount, it ddries less, but still some.

Another thing I wonder about, is why it contains Sodium Laureth.. As far as I know, that ingredient is highly comedogenic (or maybe that was a different kind of it. Sulphate or something)

Hmm interesting.

60% feel that the cleanser makes them dry as opposed to the 40% that it does not make dry.

Maybe there is some ingrediant that makes all of these people dry?

Hmm interesting.

60% feel that the cleanser makes them dry as opposed to the 40% that it does not make dry.

Maybe there is some ingrediant that makes all of these people dry?

it has sodium lauryl sulfate in it which is irritating and comedogenic.

oh so why is it in there then?

im not sure. dan explained before. it may very well be a small amount, but its still in there.

Why doesn't everybody just use Nuetrogena Extra Gentle Cleanser?

It's the only cleanser I know that doesn't contatin Sodium Laureth Sulfate/ Sodium Lauryl Sulfate + it actually gives your skin back moisture since it contains glycerin.

The cleanser is non-drying. What you are experiencing is from the benzoyl peroxide. Let me explain. While on benzoyl peroxide, any cleanser is likely to "make you dry" after using it. I have always been dry after cleansing, no matter what cleanser I use. This is part of being on benzoyl peroxide, and is partially why a moisturizer is so vital.

I asked our chemist about this question regarding dryness and she said the cleanser we're using is as inert as you can make. It is pH 5.5 and the gentlest she can make. She did say you can always make something more moisturizing, and she could add moisturizing properties like glycerin to the cleanser to turn it from an inert cleanser into a moisturizing cleanser, but to remember that for acne prone skin, a little bit of dryness is not a bad idea. So I may need to add to the information page a little bit about cleansers and what we should be looking for in a cleanser. A little bit of dryness is welcomed. A ton of dryness, on the other hand, means you started with too much BP.

The cleanser is non-drying. What you are experiencing is from the benzoyl peroxide. Let me explain. While on benzoyl peroxide, any cleanser is likely to "make you dry" after using it. I have always been dry after cleansing, no matter what cleanser I use. This is part of being on benzoyl peroxide, and is partially why a moisturizer is so vital.

I asked our chemist about this question regarding dryness and she said the cleanser we're using is as inert as you can make. It is pH 5.5 and the gentlest she can make. She did say you can always make something more moisturizing, and she could add moisturizing properties like glycerin to the cleanser to turn it from an inert cleanser into a moisturizing cleanser, but to remember that for acne prone skin, a little bit of dryness is not a bad idea. So I may need to add to the information page a little bit about cleansers and what we should be looking for in a cleanser. A little bit of dryness is welcomed. A ton of dryness, on the other hand, means you started with too much BP.

Hi Dan,

I've been on CSR for 10 weeks, and everytime I use the cleanser it feels like I'm wearing a tight mask and it begins to itch a little a few minutes after when the skin has dried. However, this wears off when I've applied BP and moisturiser. You mention that it could be due to starting with too much BP, but have you any idea of what it could be in this case?

Hi Dan,

I've been on CSR for 10 weeks, and everytime I use the cleanser it feels like I'm wearing a tight mask and it begins to itch a little a few minutes after when the skin has dried. However, this wears off when I've applied BP and moisturiser. You mention that it could be due to starting with too much BP, but have you any idea of what it could be in this case?

Which moisturizer are you using?

Hi Dan,

Which moisturizer are you using?

I sent you a mail some days ago, it's the Eucerin moisturiser which also contains lactic acid. I've been told by Brandy it's very similar to their "Dry skin relief" creme.

I just spoke with our manufacturer and lead chemist. I asked her about this dryness issue and she said our cleanser is not at all drying. It is 5.5 pH, and not only that, it specifically does not strip the skin. The sulfactants (cleansing ingredients) used are often used in baby shampoos and are as gentle as possible on the skin.

I pushed her and said, well, is there any way we can make a cleanser that is even less drying? And she said sometimes old people or people who for whatever reason do not produce much of their own skin oils will use milky or oily cleansers. Those are not going to be a good option for us since most of us have younger skin, but she did say she could try putting more glycerin in the cleanser to add to it's moisturizing properties as it cleanses. I agreed we should try this and she's sending a sample over to me. I'll see how it is. This may reduce the suds is the only problem, but we are going to try to maintain a good suds level while increasing the moisturizing properties.

I sent you a mail some days ago, it's the Eucerin moisturiser which also contains lactic acid. I've been told by Brandy it's very similar to their "Dry skin relief" creme.

Wolfheart, I have never tried that moisturizer so I'm not sure what's going on there.

Regarding your dryness, because we use benzoyl peroxide we're going to be dry after cleansing. It's part of it. I don't think I read the first time that the dryness you experience goes away after BP and moisturizer. I think that's the same for most of us.

Just in case you want to try something that might help, try adding 3 drops of jojoba oil to your moisturizer each time you use it. Jojoba is very moisturizing and may be good for acne. It smells great and is pretty darn amazing.

Regarding your dryness, because we use benzoyl peroxide we're going to be dry after cleansing. It's part of it. I don't think I read the first time that the dryness you experience goes away after BP and moisturizer. I think that's the same for most of us.

Just in case you want to try something that might help, try adding 3 drops of jojoba oil to your moisturizer each time you use it. Jojoba is very moisturizing and may be good for acne. It smells great and is pretty darn amazing.

Yeah I ordered some 100% jojoba oil last night, so hopefully it will be here soon!

I also suspect the Eucerin moisturiser to be a little to harsh for me and it also contains Lanolin alcohol and some other "bad" ingredients.

How is the progress with your moisturiser Dan?

Hi Dan,

I just got my cleanser and bp yesterday. I used the cleanser last night and my face was a little tight too. I think that is a good thing! Maybe it will shrink my pores. I am glad the cleanser makes me somewhat drier. My face is super oily!!

The moisturizer is chug chug chuggin' along. We are getting another sample or two (samples 42 and 43?) from our formulator next week sometime hopefully. I have high hopes as I always do.

In the meantime, I am taking all of the other formulas I've gotten before that I liked but didn't take care of flakiness and I'm adding 3 drops of jojoba and trying them out. This may be the answer. Certainly it is a good answer in the interim while I perfect our perfect moisutrizer. Just add 3 drops of jojoba to your palm and mix it in with a nice non-comedogenic facial moisturizer and you should be ok for now.

The moisturizer is chug chug chuggin' along. We are getting another sample or two (samples 42 and 43?) from our formulator next week sometime hopefully. I have high hopes as I always do.

In the meantime, I am taking all of the other formulas I've gotten before that I liked but didn't take care of flakiness and I'm adding 3 drops of jojoba and trying them out. This may be the answer. Certainly it is a good answer in the interim while I perfect our perfect moisutrizer.

Amazing that they haven't been able to mix the perfect one yet, but okay I'm sure we're all thrilled to test the final result :dance:

Just add 3 drops of jojoba to your palm and mix it in with a nice non-comedogenic facial moisturizer and you should be ok for now.

non-comedogenic - that's the problem. My current one (the eucerin) has some ingredients that (according to www.zerozits.com) are comedogenic, and so does Cetaphil apparently. It must be some sort of conspiracy! :wall:

If you look long enough you'll find almost every ingredient on a comedogenic list. But using them in small quantities in high quality moisturizers shouldn't produce a problem.

I got 2 more samples today. So I'll let you know what I think...

If you look long enough you'll find almost every ingredient on a comedogenic list. But using them in small quantities in high quality moisturizers shouldn't produce a problem.

I got 2 more samples today. So I'll let you know what I think...

I'll kep my fingers crossed :)

I just spoke with our manufacturer and lead chemist. I asked her about this dryness issue and she said our cleanser is not at all drying. It is 5.5 pH, and not only that, it specifically does not strip the skin. The sulfactants (cleansing ingredients) used are often used in baby shampoos and are as gentle as possible on the skin.

I pushed her and said, well, is there any way we can make a cleanser that is even less drying? And she said sometimes old people or people who for whatever reason do not produce much of their own skin oils will use milky or oily cleansers. Those are not going to be a good option for us since most of us have younger skin, but she did say she could try putting more glycerin in the cleanser to add to it's moisturizing properties as it cleanses. I agreed we should try this and she's sending a sample over to me. I'll see how it is. This may reduce the suds is the only problem, but we are going to try to maintain a good suds level while increasing the moisturizing properties.

Wolfheart, I have never tried that moisturizer so I'm not sure what's going on there.

Sounds great Dan! Be sure to keep us updating and see if that sample of cleanser works well :)

In the meantime, I am taking all of the other formulas I've gotten before that I liked but didn't take care of flakiness and I'm adding 3 drops of jojoba and trying them out. This may be the answer. Certainly it is a good answer in the interim while I perfect our perfect moisutrizer.

Amazing that they haven't been able to mix the perfect one yet, but okay I'm sure we're all thrilled to test the final result :dance:

Just add 3 drops of jojoba to your palm and mix it in with a nice non-comedogenic facial moisturizer and you should be ok for now.

non-comedogenic - that's the problem. My current one (the eucerin) has some ingredients that (according to www.zerozits.com) are comedogenic, and so does Cetaphil apparently. It must be some sort of conspiracy! :wall:

Cetaphil's gentle cleanser works fine on me

The normal/oily one dries out my skin..so I switched to gentle and it works fine

And I have pretty sensitive skin too

Try to use warm water to wash your face first...then use cleanser...and then use cold water to wash off

I am using the whole collecting of cetapil's now..They seem to be OK

But I would like to try anyother moisurizer with rich vitamin and mois enough

This product is definetly non drying in my experience, any problems that anyone is having with dryness is probably as a result of using BP or other products.

Over the years I have spent thousands on some very high end products and treatments, in my own way I have scientifically tested them all for a month or two at a time. My skin is either very oily or becomes dry and flakey even with very gentle cleansers and topicals. I tried the full regimen a year or two back and decided it was not for me so tried a whole load of cleansers just on their own. I now just wash twice a day or shave using the CSR cleanser, it cleans my skin well, works well for shaving and is the only product to never dry my skin. Lack of dry skin = less blocked pores so my skin is now also much clearer.

I wonder if some of the chemicals in some other products have been the cause of my problems over the years by causing over drying. Dans product only has the bare minimum ingredients so cleanses without any drying or any allergic reaction, so for such a simple product has really been good for me.

the bp definitely makes you dry. i dont think anyone can argue with that.

moisturizer takes care of it.