Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
sw cub

how common is hair loss?

I am faced with one of the most difficult decisions of my life, whether to take accutane or not. I really want to try it out because I have tried other things that just don't seem to work, such as antibiotics which only work for as long as you take them. The thing that scares me the most is the idea of permanent hair loss. I have done a lot of research on this and can't seem to come to any conclusion on how common this is. My question to all of you accutane users, is how many of you have experienced either temporary or permanent hair loss? Also any statistics on how common it is to have temporary and permanent hair loss would be very helpful. Thank you!

Hair thinning on Accutane is fairly common, but it isn't permanent. Some hair roots stop growing because of the drug, but they resume after the course is over with.

Is it Every were, the hair loss, or is it localized to the head?

And is alot of hair lost or ist it not really noticable?

Take Accutane. It's done wonders for my complexion. I wish I would've gone on this sooner.

About the hair loss, I have long fine hair. I've been on Accutane for 7 months now and my hair began to shed a lot about 2 months ago. It sheds a lot. I'll have more strands of hair left in my brush than I normally had. When my mom plays with my hair, she'll have a lot of my hair left on her. I tease myself about it and say that I shed hair like my cats. At first I was afraid of this. I still have my long and beautiful hair. It's definitely different now than it did before treatment. For instance, my hair doesn't feel silky anymore. It sometimes feels dry and brittle towards the tips. I don't think coloring my hair during the treatment helped it any since hair coloring dries the hair. I know it lost a lot of volume because I can feel it, especially when I go to tie my hair back in a ponytail. I can see it as well. However, my derm explained that only I will be able to notice my hair thinning because it'll be only a minor thing.

I asked my derm if any of her female patients lost a good portion of their hair during this treatment and if any women grew bald spots because of this treatment. She replied with a "no." I couldn't help myself to ask these questions because I was very afraid as well. She said that some of her patients complained about hair shedding and thinning but it was only very minimal and it stopped once they were off the medicine. It grew back. I'm confidant mine will too.

So in all, I still have my hair. It's long and pretty still. It's just a bit more dry and has less volume but no one can tell, only me. A good thing about this drug is that I go about 5 days without washing my hair and it still looks great. It looks like I just washed it even after going days without washing it. I could go longer but I chose not to because I want to have clean hair. Before Accutane, I'd have to wash my hair everyday because it would look so greasy.

Don't allow this to stop you from taking Accutane. Going on Amnesteem is one of the best things I've done for myself in the last 10 years. It's something I should've taken a long time ago. It's really helped me with both my complexion and my confidance. Your hair might shed, but it will only be very minimal. It'll definitely grow back once you're off treatment. Think about it this way, if people became bald because of Accutane, we'd see so many young men and women walking around with bald spots on their heads because I know a lot of people have resorted to take Accutane. I know of a handful of people close to me, that took this drug. They look great and so does their hair. Good luck! :)

I'm just starting my 4th month... (and last month) and have only just noticed hair loss.... its only a slight increase and doesnt worry me....

I've been on Accutane a week and my hair is shedding like crazy. I'm really freaked out, as my hair is very fine.. but what saves me is that I have a lot of it.

I've started taking MSM, Biotion, B-Complex, Vitamin E, and Fish Oil supplements daily. A friend of mine was on Accutane a year or so ago and she experienced A LOT of hair thinning. She said these vitamins really helped to counteract it, and after 3 weeks of taking them, her hair was back to shedding normally instead of like crazy. Maybe give it a try?

I actually called my derm about the hair shedding and he said it's normal and will stop once I'm done with my treatment. I'm not pulling out big clumps of hair or anything, but I notice a lot of hair in the drain after a shower and a lot in my hair brush and coming out when I comb my hair.

What I suggest to you:

1) wash your hair only every other day or less (NEVER EVERY DAY)

2) don't heat style it, let it dry naturally

3) try to avoid dying it if you can, although dying it lighter will disguise the thinning a little, since lighter hair is closer to scalp color.

4) don't brush it when it's wet, comb it with a wide-tooth comb

5) try to avoid playing with it, wrapping it around your finger, etc.. as this all causes loose hair to fall out. A loose hair can last for a long time if it isn't toyed with much.. You want to keep all of the loose hairs you can now that more of them will be becoming loose!

6) try the vitamins I've listed above. Vitamin E and Fish Oil will prevent the scalp from becoming as dry, Biotin, MSM and B Complex assist in healthy hair growth. Just don't take anything with Vitamin A in it.

Take Accutane. It's done wonders for my complexion. I wish I would've gone on this sooner.

About the hair loss, I have long fine hair. I've been on Accutane for 7 months now and my hair began to shed a lot about 2 months ago. It sheds a lot. I'll have more strands of hair left in my brush than I normally had. When my mom plays with my hair, she'll have a lot of my hair left on her. I tease myself about it and say that I shed hair like my cats. At first I was afraid of this. I still have my long and beautiful hair. It's definitely different now than it did before treatment. For instance, my hair doesn't feel silky anymore. It sometimes feels dry and brittle towards the tips. I don't think coloring my hair during the treatment helped it any since hair coloring dries the hair. I know it lost a lot of volume because I can feel it, especially when I go to tie my hair back in a ponytail. I can see it as well. However, my derm explained that only I will be able to notice my hair thinning because it'll be only a minor thing.

I asked my derm if any of her female patients lost a good portion of their hair during this treatment and if any women grew bald spots because of this treatment. She replied with a "no." I couldn't help myself to ask these questions because I was very afraid as well. She said that some of her patients complained about hair shedding and thinning but it was only very minimal and it stopped once they were off the medicine. It grew back. I'm confidant mine will too.

So in all, I still have my hair. It's long and pretty still. It's just a bit more dry and has less volume but no one can tell, only me. A good thing about this drug is that I go about 5 days without washing my hair and it still looks great. It looks like I just washed it even after going days without washing it. I could go longer but I chose not to because I want to have clean hair. Before Accutane, I'd have to wash my hair everyday because it would look so greasy.

Don't allow this to stop you from taking Accutane. Going on Amnesteem is one of the best things I've done for myself in the last 10 years. It's something I should've taken a long time ago. It's really helped me with both my complexion and my confidance. Your hair might shed, but it will only be very minimal. It'll definitely grow back once you're off treatment. Think about it this way, if people became bald because of Accutane, we'd see so many young men and women walking around with bald spots on their heads because I know a lot of people have resorted to take Accutane. I know of a handful of people close to me, that took this drug. They look great and so does their hair. Good luck! :)

Hey

I took accutane before and I am on another course right now. I expereinced alot of thinning every day AFTER my course was over, I would say it took about 6 months after treatment for my hair to stop falling out. What I can tell you is that when it grew back, it was long, thick and healthy as hell.

I am currently shedding, but nothing huge. I have noticed decreased volume and I am anticipating greater hairloss once I go off the medication. Hoever I am hoping that it will grow back afterwards.

Good Luck

Gagan

I'm almost done with my first month of 40 mgs. My hair is shedding from the the root! and it's not like it's just one spot but it is an allover even shedding. My hair is so flat looking. My hair is everywhere...I know it will grow back...It just has to.

A year ago due to stress my hair was falling out pretty much the same way and what really worked for me was hair vitamins from GNC (it has vitamin A in it, not good when you are on accutane) , i am sure to take those once im done with my course. But if this keeps going on i will get biotin pills for now.

Also im noticing my eyelashes sitting on my cheek a couple of times so far.

Why is it that the hairs we wax, pluck, nair and thread don't budge, but the hair we need and want fall off? :wall:

I am faced with one of the most difficult decisions of my life, whether to take accutane or not. I really want to try it out because I have tried other things that just don't seem to work, such as antibiotics which only work for as long as you take them. The thing that scares me the most is the idea of permanent hair loss. I have done a lot of research on this and can't seem to come to any conclusion on how common this is. My question to all of you accutane users, is how many of you have experienced either temporary or permanent hair loss? Also any statistics on how common it is to have temporary and permanent hair loss would be very helpful. Thank you!

Hey Sw Cub,

I had the same fear as you before going on Amnesteem. And (surprise, surprise) it was just my luck that the exact same side-effect I was so terrified of started happening to me almost immediately. I lost head-hair like you couldn't believe. And it didn't stop there, either. My eyelash and eyebrow hair started shedding, too. (I lost about 6-8 eyelashes a day.)

Here's the best solution I've found so far: My derm lowered my dose to 40mgs for about 5 days, and on the 6th day, I went back to 60mg and started taking 1500mcgs of Biotin once a day (brand name "Rexall") about 4 hours apart from taking Accutane. And now, my constant hair shedding has pretty much stopped dead in its tracks. (I still shed hair, but at a normal rate now.)

Biotin is an excellent supplement for anyone experiencing hair thinning (it's also excellent for your skin and nails). I read somewhere that one of the main reasons many people lose large amounts of hair, while taking Accutane, is because Accutane doesn't allow the body to renew its Biotin supply properly. Biotin is critical for hair growth and overall health.

Also, when you take Biotin, be sure and take it with food just as you do Accutane. If you take it on an empty stomach, it's not as effective.

BEST OF LUCK!

So good to hear about your hair growing back. The only thing that scares me is that I've read a good number of people in other forums say its been three years post accutane and they still only half like half their hair. I also read a doctor say hair loss is sometimes permanent.

www.baldingblog.com/2006/06/21/accutane-hair-loss-is-permanent/

Now that is terrifying. Hopefully it only happens to a very small percentage of people, or maybe they think it's permanent because it takes a good number of years, but even still it's scaring me away from this stuff. I've noticed a lot of additional shedding and my hair line seems thinner. So far it's still a good thickness but the shedding is getting worse. Ugh.

I lost hair while on accutane and before. I don't think it made it worse. Also, the average person sheds 100-300 hairs per day. You also lose more when you're stressed, when you wash and condition your hair, etc.