Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Anna

What HAS to change!!!

I came across this article and am including it below. What really caught my attention is the fact that the doctor who developed a LIFE SAVING BURN TREATMENT had to wait 20 FRIGGIN years to get the technology to market.

WHY you may ask :-k - BECAUSE a company which was developing it was bought out by another company which then didn't see it as a money maker and therefore didn't dedicate the funds to bringing it to market.

This brings me to my point. Isn't it possible (maybe even probable) that treatments already exists which would cure acne, scarring, cancer, etc.? How can we go about changing this? Do we need to lobby the National Institute of Health (NIH) to force companies to develop these treatments, out of humanitarian reasons, or risk the loss of their patent rights? I am not a commie, but I tell you sometimes I wonder about certain aspects of the free enterprise system.

Anybody else have any ideas?!

The article is a bit long but if you scroll down to the "black hole" portion that's where it gets interesting. Her is the link:

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/burn231.shtml

WHAT CAN WE DO?

That is so frustrating. It's possible that there is already a treatment out there that just hasn't been developed/thoroughly tested/etc...

Not sure what we can actually do, but if our names on a petition would help, I am sure there are lots of people here who would be willing to sign it.

If the delay is due to red tape, bureaucracy, politics, then that is unforgivable. However, in general, any new drug has to undergo exhaustive clinical tests before it can be made available on the market...this is needed to safeguard the welfare of everyone...it'll probably not be wise to curtail this process.

btw, if there is any new miracle cure for acne, you can probably find it in scientific journals (search PUBMED)...didn't see anything promising though sad.gif

In this instance the delay had nothing to do with government red tape or lack of sufficient clinical trials. It had to do with a company (DOW) which, when it bought out another company, gained ownership of the product's patent and then chose to let it languish. It makes me sick when I think how many people literally died because this technology wasn't expedited to market.

I am just so frustrated. Even with Renovo, Professor Ferguson published his paper in 1995, and it will be 2007 before his scar prevention (treatment) products come to market.

I just think the delay is too long!

Maybe lobbying the NIH would help. I am just not sure how to phrase the petition.

I was just reading an interview with the computer billionaire, Larry Ellison, who runs an anti-aging foundation. He said that many times the drug companies will develop something effective but the treatment will kill one out of a thousand people so it has to be thrown out. ](*,)

But I think the whole allopathic model of medicine - heavy use of drugs and surgery for ailments is mostly wrong. In fact, the rate of cancer, heart disease, suicide, etc are always going up despite more and more drugs.

Anna

I eventually got round to phoning Renovo about the volunteers they use .. I phoned the number on their website and I enquired what trials they were undertaking - the lady I spoke with said the following:

"We are not advanced enough to work on existing scars, we are needing volunteers to perform the following - have cuts made on their face and then SOME of the volunteers will receive injections to heal up the wounds, and others will receive a placebo" ... Me: *Gasp*

She then continued to say "Of course, volunteers who receive the plcebo may be left with some minor scarring" Me: *Thanks but no thanks*

I mean, who on this board with scarring wants to risk even more??

Does this mean that Renovo's work on permanently correcting or curing existing scars is still a long way off? If so, that is disappointing.

Sounds like it Johnnery - seems to me that most of these docs and researchers are in it for research sake.. not to get it to the people who need it NOW.

And it wouldn't surprise me that if and when the Renovo stuff hits the market, it will cost an enormous amount, (unaffordable to people like me), like Isolagen at £2,500 for 3 shots.

Maya,

I was thinking if someone is going to have an excision performed anyway that would be a cut and therefore what would they be risking? Do you have any more excisions planned?

Just a thought.

Anyway, in order to use their scar prevention product on an existing scar, a revision procedure would need to be performed. Maybe spot TCA or surgical treatment of some sort then the application of the product.

Anna

I have reads all the posts on this thread and found them very interesting.

I would like to add that not too long ago I saw a plastic surgery documentary on the Discovery Channel which showed a woman having breast implant surgery. Their new technique now is to incise the areolas and, postoperatively, a glue stick type of apllication is used to minimize scarring to very very fine lines (I think it was like a new type of silicone sheeting which served as a new and better alternative to stitches). This was considered a new product when the show aired. I'm sure it is only availiable to physicians, but I was wondering if this could be used after excision to leave very very fine scarring. Does anyone remember hearing about this or seeing this on TV? I have always thought about investigating it in the back of my mind. It would be a perfect enhancement to the effectiveness of excision, realizing that the objective of the procedure is to be left with a scar that is more cosmetically appealing.

If I were a research scientist on acne pockmark revision I would think the best route to take would be to market a product which vastly minimized the appearance of a postoperative scar.

Okay,

Here is my latest rant. New-Fill is a very promising filler with very little side effects and has been used in many countries thoughout the world for about 20 years. It's major benefit is for AIDS patients who suffer from lipidystrophy wherein the fat under the skin is destroyed leading to a very gaunt and unhealthy appearance. Unlike collagen or other fillers New-Fill can be used in very large quantities and a skin test isn't even required because it is so safe. Doctors were importing the filler under the FDA's individual use clause which allows for the personal use of a drug. One of the AIDS help organizations stepped in and got a group deal to help its members and placed an order for $25,000. When the shipment arrived the FDA stepped in and stopped receipt. They stated that they had reconsidered and now concluded that New-Fill should actually be considered a medical device and therefore does not fall under the individual use clause. It will now need to go through the entire testing and approval process as a medical device rather than a drug. It could take years. So there you have it! US tax dollars at work.

Doesn't this suck?????

If anybody is going to Mexico I hear you can pick up a kit with a vial and syringes for about $250 US dollars and smuggle it in.

Anna

that sucks ass, then again i suppose we shouldn't be surprised should we? the FDA is run by the government, and well that pretty much sums things up (if you can't figure it out remember government = slow + retarded).

on the brigter side... anyone wanna start smuggling certain unamed contraband items from mexico?? :o

OLE! I'm checking into air fare or better yet does anyone have a vacation to Mexico planned soon?

Thanks,

Anna