Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
tdot

When you go to the derm do you wear make up?

I have a persistant case of chin/jawline acne that DOES NOT let up EVER!! it's painfull and I hate it, I want accutane but I dont think my derm is going to give it to me. So I'm thinking I should just try to make my face look really awful for when I go lol... Anyone think this will work? Haha...

um, no probably not.the derm like feels your face. they will be able to tell it's makeup.

Don't wear makeup. Derms will still be able to see that there is acne there, but a good makeup application can make it appear to be much less severe than it actually is. If you are one of those people that can't stand to leave the house without it, bring a cleanser and your makeup along with you, wash the makeup off in the waiting room bathroom, and reapply after the appointment. That way the derm gets the truest picture of your acne.

um, no probably not.the derm like feels your face. they will be able to tell it's makeup.

true true

yea and dont ever wear makeup, if he might be "fooled" and not prescribe you a better topical or medcine for you face,, and also theyre a derm.. why wear makeup?

true true

yea and dont ever wear makeup, if he might be "fooled" and not prescribe you a better topical or medcine for you face,, and also theyre a derm.. why wear makeup?

yeah my derm and my doctor both thought I had extremely mild, barely there acne.. thats because I caked on the makeup knowing I was going to go in public. I actually had some pretty bad breakouts at the time too, and my doctor called me "one of those girls who gets a couple small zits every month"... I WISH :wall::wall::wall: I get one like everyday :( lol

I always go wearing makeup and when i saw my derm for the first time he still prescribed me accutane because he could see how bad it was even when i had tried to cover it up, jeez those lights they put up infront of your face are awful! :( and also they can feel it. Really it just depends on how bad it is, if it's severe then even with makeup they'll probably know. And also it depends on your derm, some just will make you try everything under the sun before giving you accutane. If I had to lie a bit to get it then I would have but I wouldn't go too far ;) good luck!

most derms will tell you to go wash your face if you have make up on...... you are supposed to go to appointments with a completely fresh washed face with no trace of other products.

I went to one appointment and had only done a quick rinse of my face to get the foundation off..... he made me go scrub it and asked me not to wear make up on my future visits.

Having your face as it is naturally is better for them to do their job!

Guest FearlessBunnyLove

Don't wear makeup. The derm needs to see how your skin really is so they have a good idea how the situation really is. You can always bring makeup with you and wash your face right before the appointment if your uncomfortable about going without it.

I never wore makeup to my appontments at first becaue i got the earliest ones so I rolled out of bed to go to them. Now I don't wear makeup like I used to since my skin is mostly just dealing with fading red marks.

my derm usually gives me facial extractions. she asks me to wash my face every time before the session.

i agree with the other posters that you should bring with you a cleanser and wash your face before entering the clinic.

i hate going to see my doc--his office is in beverly hills. its soo damn embarrassing crossing 3 crosswalks to get to his office!!! i feel like the ugliest mofo walking past all the pricey restaurants, salons, etc...and most of all, all the beautiful people.

i hate going to see my doc--his office is in beverly hills. its soo damn embarrassing crossing 3 crosswalks to get to his office!!! i feel like the ugliest mofo walking past all the pricey restaurants, salons, etc...and most of all, all the beautiful people.

im conscious as you are, even when im already inside the clinic.

Hah, this will be a HUGE step for me if I leave the house without any make-up on, how embarrassing. But I really want him to see it, I dont know what he's going to say, I have only been to one derm about acne, so who knows. He will probably want to perscribe anit-biotics and stuff but I am goign to say no to that... NO WAY!!!! I HATE antibiotics with a passion.

Here's how i look at it. Why wear something that is going to distort how bad the actual problem is? When you go in to get your car fixed, you don't try to cover up some of the problems...you go in to get everything taken care of. Your derm will never see how bad the real problem is if you're trying to conceal it.

Yeah in my derm's waiting room there is a sign that says please remove all makeup before you see the doctor. If you must, wear makeup there and leave your house 10 minutes earlier to take it off just before your appointment, take your makeup with you and then put it back on afterwards.

Don't wear makeup - you can bring a bag with you and put it on after your appointment, or you could always wear it there, wash it off, and then reapply later, though that seems like a huge hassle to go through. What I usually do is just wear mascara and some lipgloss - makeup on eyelashes and lips doesn't really matter, but it makes me feel a bit more ok about going out in public. I bring concealer, my powder foundation, and blush with me to put on when the appointment's over. That way, I don't have to worry about scrubbing my face at the derm's office or have a ton of makeup to put on after. Hope that helps!

P.S. Yeah, a derm can tell even if you're wearing makeup if he/she is paying close attention and feels your skin, but some derms just sort of look and I'm sorry to say, someone who's very skilled with makeup application can cover up flaws enough to fool a derm who just looks at the skin. Easily.