Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Guest Tracy

Copper Peptides/Vit C: cancel each other out-FACT OR THEORY?

Guest Tracy

I wanted to share something with everyone regarding the "Copper Peptides cancels out Vitamin C" theory that I read about constantly on this board. This is a response I received directly from Skin Biology regarding this very question which I posed to them at the beginning of October as I am really enjoying the benefits of using the INTENSE GEL from puredeming.com........well anyway, read this:

Tracy wrote: Would using Copper Peptides in the morning and a product with vitamin C in the evening be enough time for them not to negate each other, or should I use copper peptides one day and the vitamin C product the next, alternating days rather than time of day??

Skin Biology wrote: What you are doing should be OK. Some women use them together and say their skin is great.

Tracy wrote: But I thought that the Vitamin C cancels out the properties of the Copper Peptides? Is this not true?

Skin Biology wrote: Sometimes copper peptides can damage the vitamin C. So we recommend that people use them separately. But many women use them together and say they look beautiful - so perhaps we are wrong.

Personally, this makes me a bit uneasy as I was under the impression that this Dr. Pickart had MANY years of research under his belt in this area. Don't you think there should be SCIENTIFIC DATA to back their initial assertion that one does, indeed, cancel out the other??? Now I'm wondering how truly knowledgeable Skin Biology is based on their "so perhaps we are wrong" response. Hmm....any thoughts/comments on this?

Guest Tracy

But Imbue, SHOULDN'T THEY KNOW??? I mean, they're not saying that copper peptides MAY cancel out the properties of Vitamin E.......?? Why all this hype about not using Vitamin C products while using Copper Peptides IF THEY DON'T KNOW????? Isn't there a way to KNOW???? Scientifically, I mean??

Yeah - now I want to see scientific data that supports whether or not Vit C can be successfully (or not) used with CP.

Tracey,

FYI, Puredeming now has a version of the Intense Gel WITHOUT vitamin C.

I just ordered some samples of the original IG from their Ebay site and noticed that they are offering this version specifically for those using copper peptides. Don't know if they will continue to offer this on an ongoing basis. I suppose it will depend on how well received it is.

Just wanted to share. Your posts have been so helpful to me.

Mimi O:)

Guest Tracy

Mimi,

It was after reading our wants/needs on this message board as well as consulting with Maya and I that Deming decided to offer her Intense Gel in a formula that does not contain Vitamin C specifically for the people on this board who use Copper Peptide products. Hence, the original reason I wrote the e-mail to Skin Biology.

Additionally, I've decreased usage of the CP Serum to once weekly, only after doing my lactic peel. I use the Intense Gel every day or every other day before I apply my 10 % mandelic serum. The change in hyperpig. is so dramatic I wanted to cry when I woke up yesterday morning. These two products (the Intense Gel & 10% mandelic serum) have made more of a difference in the week and a half since I've been using them than any other product I've ever tried. I'm so happy!!

And yes, I agree that Skinbio should ABSOLUTELY KNOW whether copper peptides and vit c cancel each other out.

I thought Dr. P. was a scientist - he certainly has a lot to say on his website about the effectiveness (or lack thereof) of his competitors' products. He should focus more on how his own actually work! LOL!

Mimi biggrin.gif

Oh Tracy (sorry I misspelled your name)

I'm so happy to hear of your success with the Intense Gel and Mandelic Acid together. I have both products on order. Can't wait to receive them.

Wishing you continued success,

Mimi

Guest Tracy
Oh Tracy (sorry I misspelled your name)

I'm so happy to hear of your success with the Intense Gel and Mandelic Acid together.  I have both products on order.  Can't wait to receive them.

Wishing you continued success,

Mimi

I've noticed that Dr. Pickart is always EXTREMELY tentative when he answers inquiries. He uses the word "may" a lot. And "some". And "could". I know that he probably HAS to, but quite honestly, it's never made me feel especially confident about his products. (And yet, I do keep using the Super CP and Exfol Serums, so I guess I must think they're doing SOMETHING!) :-s

Guest Tracy

I understand his desire to not make universal promises. Some things work for some people other things work for others. Yet there should be sinple scientific data to back up this initial assertion that these two products should not be used at the same time because one cancels out the properties of another, don't you think? That should be a simple thing to prove.....and he shouldn't have made the statement if he didn't KNOW it to be true. Makes me kinda leery, too....of purchasing additional Copper products from that website. I mean, does he or does he not know the answer to this question??

It's common knowledge that people who use AHA's should be careful to use sunscreen for at least a few weeks after, and the entire time during, the use of AHA products. That's a fact. If he's stating that CP products should not be used with/cancel out properties of vitamin c products, he should stick with that statement, not get hedgy when asked a direct question.

Neova says that L-Ascorbic acid disrupts the peptide that delivers the copper into the skin, and that is why they should not be used together.

I know Dr. Pickart's formula is different, so maybe he is not sure if L-ascorbic acid does the same thing to his copper products or not.

Its not that the Vitamin C and Copper Cancel each other.. Its that the Vitamin C becomes damaged with the use of Copper deeming it ineffective.. or Not as Effective....The Copper is ok though

I've always heard what circoit wrote also. Perhaps what Dr. Pickert is doing is just playing it safe. What I'm thinking is that studies have shown that what he contends is true; that ascorbic acid is damaged by the peptides. What it sounds like to me, though, is that so many people have used together with seemingly no bad effects, that maybe he has to back off on being dogmatic about the assertion.

Who knows? All I know is.....the peptides work for me. smile.gif

I post sometimes at Delphi under the name Badgenes.

This is what i posted:

I have read on the skin biology site that CP cancels out the effectiveness of Vitamin C, but does the vitamin C cancel out the effectiveness of the Copper peptide.

Dr Pickart himself replied:

It is the vitamin C that gets damaged. Copper peptides are tough.

This to me suggests that copper doesn't get damaged.

If you emailed [email protected]

chances are that one of his offsiders answered. Not surprising since skin bio would receive hundreds of emails a day.

Guest Tracy
I thought you had been using the mandelic for longer than a week?

Looks like Pure deming is selling copper peptides now in conjunction with Dr. Pickart. I am amazed at the power of this board. Maya and the other moderators should be getting free products do to the business generated from this place.

Maya and the other moderators should be getting free products do to the business generated from this place.

i just ordered the Pure Deming Gel without Vitamin C.. hope it works...

Hey do you think it would be wise to add even more Alpha lipoic acid to the Gel?

Hey do you think it would be wise to add even more Alpha lipoic acid to the Gel?

I beat you to it biggrin.gif I just added 4 capsules of the ALA to my bottle and a couple of teaspoons of emu oil.

Steve, no, I didn;t add more DMAE because the stuff I have is kind of gritty.

Puredeeming said via email..to only use up to 4 hours otherwise Vit E goes rancid as it oxidises on the skin and will start smelling bad.

Shouldn't really need to leave it on for more than an hour as Vit C gets fully absorbed into the skin within 45 minutes.

I normally leave it on for an hour.. one night I left it on all night and in the morning I felt it was less effective than leaving it on for 1 hour.

I just got MY first order of PureDeming's Intense Gel for Hands and Feet today (for my FACE) and I will try it tonight for the first time. I'm about to start up with Dr. Pickart's Exfol and Super CP Serums again--after a few months off--so that's why I ordered the version of the Intense Gel that doesn't contain Vitamin C. I hope I'm correct on this...someone please tell me, if I'm not! Thanks.

i just ordered the Pure Deming Gel without Vitamin C.. hope it works...